U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are all Cultures Equal?
Yes, things like slavery and unalienable rights are merely subjective and amoral, not inherently right or wrong 5 8.62%
No, cultures that propagate the violation of unalienable rights are inferior to those that don't. 53 91.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:03 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,130,160 times
Reputation: 6809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There you go again using ad hominem appeals in arguments based on my race. Sorry, that doesn't work on me.

Slavery was wrong in America based on America's OWN constitution and so-called majority faith.

Again, our culture works for us. It's worked well for us. But I'm not about to take the liberty of saying that our culture is superior to other's. It's not my place to say that.

It's called respect.
Wrong the Constitution was founded with slavery in it and protections of slavery in it.

The Supreme Court in 1857 ruled that blacks could never be citizens.

Due to culture most didn't read the Declaration of Independence as referring to blacks as ALL states had slavery legal when the Declaration of Independence was written.


This has nothing to do with race - this has to do with the fact that your logic justifies slavery and all you can do is play the race card to avoid a logical argument to the contrary.


A culture that propagates slavery in your mind can't be judged. Therefore, slavery is amoral in your world view.

I refuse to negotiate on the evil of slavery.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 07-27-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:12 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,130,160 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A culture is not inferior. It's just different. You disagreeing with them doesn't make them inferior. It make YOU, the person, inferior because you don't know how to respect other cultures.
Why should I respect slavery, rape, killing gays for being gay, Nazism, etc? I find it reprehensible to respect those actions - and cultures that propagate those actions I cannot respect in that particular aspect.

You call me inferior, no two people are perfectly equal - in some ways I am.

Perhaps you are inferior morally, as you refuse to say that those things like rape and murder are morally wrong. I find it hard to respect the integrity of someone who can't call Nazism, rape, killing gays, etc morally wrong.



Also, one can respect some aspects of German society in the 1930s, while saying that other aspects of how they treat certain minorities like Jews was reprehensible (and therefore inferior in that very particular aspect to a country that doesn't mistreat minorities like Jews). The fact that you haven't been able to grasp this simple concept is startling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM
 
18,942 posts, read 9,653,832 times
Reputation: 5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why should I respect slavery, rape, killing gays for being gay, Nazism, etc?

You call me inferior no two people are perfectly equal - in some ways I am.

Perhaps you are inferior morally, as you refuse to say that those things are morally wrong. I find it hard to respect the integrity of someone who can't call Nazism, rape, killing gays, etc morally wrong.



Also, one can respect some aspects of Germany society in the 1930s, while saying that aspects of how they treat certain minorities like Jews was reprehensible (and therefore inferior in that very particular aspect to a country that doesn't mistreat minorities like Jews).
You don't need to respect slavery etc.; however if other cultures choose slavery, as long as they are not trying to enslave us, it's up to their people to change it. That's called respect people's choice, aka. democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,130,160 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A culture is not inferior. It's just different. You disagreeing with them doesn't make them inferior. It make YOU, the person, inferior because you don't know how to respect other cultures.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You don't need to respect slavery etc.; however if other cultures choose slavery, as long as they are not trying to enslave us, it's up to their people to change it. That's called respect people's choice, aka. democracy.


If I fully respect 1850 southern culture than I respect slavery.

I refuse to respect slavery, as unlike you I see slavery as immoral.

Therefore I can never respect that aspect of 1850 southern culture, although it is possible to respect other aspects of that culture.


You can't criticize me for not fully respecting all aspects of 1850 southern culture, but then say that I don't need to respect slavery. You are being contradictory. Slavery is a part of 1850 southern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:34 PM
 
18,942 posts, read 9,653,832 times
Reputation: 5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If I fully respect 1850 southern culture than I respect slavery.

I refuse to respect slavery, as unlike you I see slavery as immoral.

Therefore I can never respect that aspect of 1850 southern culture, although it is possible to respect other aspects of that culture.
Once again, you don't need to respect slavery, not in USA. We do need to respect other people's choice in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 PM
 
50,755 posts, read 26,763,385 times
Reputation: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Wrong the Constitution was founded with slavery in it and protections of slavery in it.

The Supreme Court in 1857 ruled that blacks could never be citizens.

Due to culture most didn't read the Declaration of Independence as referring to blacks as ALL states had slavery legal when the Declaration of Independence was written.


This has nothing to do with race - this has to do with the fact that your logic justifies slavery and all you can do is play the race card to avoid a logical argument to the contrary.


A culture that propagates slavery in your mind can't be judged. Therefore, slavery is amoral in your world view.

I refuse to negotiate on the evil of slavery.
You haven't presented a logical argument. In fact, you're the main one playing the race card. If i wasn't black, you would've tried a different example. It would've been just as lame, but at least it wouldn't have been slavery.

The Constitution never authorized slavery, it didn't necessarily prohibit it either.

Last i remember, it starts out with "we the people." Black people are damn sure people last i remember.

Again, i'm not gonna say that my culture is superior to some other just so that you can have some needed confirmation that you're better than someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,130,160 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, you don't need to respect slavery, not in USA. We do need to respect other people's choice in other countries.


I don't need to respect holocausts, rapes, slavery, and the subjugation of women, etc...anywhere on this planet. Those actions are immoral even if you don't think they are.

I don't necessarily have the right to go over there to kill and carpet bomb them to get them to stop, but I should never respect those evil actions or aspects of a culture that propagates those actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,130,160 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You haven't presented a logical argument. In fact, you're the main one playing the race card. If i wasn't black, you would've tried a different example. It would've been just as lame, but at least it wouldn't have been slavery.

The Constitution never authorized slavery, it didn't necessarily prohibit it either.

Last i remember, it starts out with "we the people." Black people are damn sure people last i remember.

Again, i'm not gonna say that my culture is superior to some other just so that you can have some needed confirmation that you're better than someone else.
You are the one playing the race card, because intellectually you've failed. Your first post, factually would justify slavery and you've dodged that fact by tossing out "I'm black no fair."


The constitution did authorize slavery as it kept the current power structures in place and protected them. Do you sincerely think that the South would have agreed to a constitution that didn't authorize slavery?

They tip toed around the topic, left the right to the individual states as all rights not specifically given to the federal government were left to the states, but were forced to mention it.

What do you think "No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due." refers to? Catching runaway slaves. The constitution in fact strengthened slavery here as compared to under the Articles of Confederation.

"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons." Who do you think bound to service refers to.



Do you honestly think that all of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence, including its author, Thomas Jefferson, who said the most crude things about black people and his belief that they were inferior, truly believed that the Declaration of Independence stated all blacks were equal politically (and I mean 2016 equality) while many of the signers were slave owners and ALL states had slavery legal at the time of the Declaration?

Do you also think that all of these founders wanted black voting rights therefore too? Why didn't the founders act to much significance on these issues then? Because I am right. You are looking at it through a 2016 mindset.

Remember, 1776 culture was so backwards compared to 2016, you literally had slave owners arguing that slaves are not "human" and no different than an ox used to plow a field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 PM
 
18,942 posts, read 9,653,832 times
Reputation: 5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I don't need to respect holocausts, rapes, slavery, and the subjugation of women, etc...anywhere on this planet. Those actions are immoral even if you don't think they are.

I don't necessarily have the right to go over there to kill and carpet bomb them to get them to stop, but I should never respect those evil actions or aspects of a culture that propagates those actions.
I didn't ask you to respect any of those things except for their choices.

Feel free to voice your dissatisfaction but don't be crying when they arrest you if you say something in their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:44 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,233,440 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL all the people voted no.

What are the unalienable rights? Could anybody provide me a list? If a right can be taken away, it's not unalienable - they aren't rights, they are privileges.

Why different cultures have different sets of rights? Which culture should be best? For example, in the American culture, "keep and bear arm" is a "right" but almost none of other cultures has this "right". Do you know many cultures have no such thing as due process?

Does this mean the American culture with a few alienable privileges is the best?
I ignored everything about the response besides:

"Are all cultures equal? Yes or no."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top