U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legal, federal level.
Yes, I am liberal. 25 17.01%
No, I am liberal. 1 0.68%
Yes, I am conservative. 36 24.49%
No, I am conservative. 10 6.80%
Yes, I do not identify as liberal or conservative. 63 42.86%
No, I do not identify as liberal or conservative. 12 8.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,420,688 times

Advertisements

[quote=notmeofficer;44922174]Demonstrative example... Some counties are stricter..some are more lenient... This applies to many cities as well

Chapter 6.90 MARIJUANA CULTIVATION

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...UsP2Ox2Vzg6NkQ

And normls skewed view

Local Medical Marijuana Cultivation & Possession Guidelines in California | California NORML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 PM

2,612 posts, read 1,117,551 times
[quote=notmeofficer;44922214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Demonstrative example... Some counties are stricter..some are more lenient... This applies to many cities as well

Chapter 6.90 MARIJUANA CULTIVATION

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...UsP2Ox2Vzg6NkQ

And normls skewed view

Local Medical Marijuana Cultivation & Possession Guidelines in California | California NORML
Thanks.

The Siskiyou county's link gave the clearest explanation of granny twelve plant.

I also agree with all of NORML's points, specifically about people growing outdoors on their own property in rural areas.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,420,688 times
[quote=jburress;44922519]
Quote:

Thanks.

The Siskiyou county's link gave the clearest explanation of granny twelve plant.

I also agree with all of NORML's points, specifically about people growing outdoors on their own property in rural areas.
I thought you might..unfortunately the voters didn't agree... Most of the counties went for the complete ban of outdoor grows...

They experienced too much creep

I have always observed that pro mj folks were their own worst enemy...helping craft the ordinances and then grossly violating them. There was actually a segment that vigorously violated them thinking they wouldn't get caught. All that did was solidify people against their cause

Same stuff different day...

Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 AM

3,144 posts, read 888,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
The conspiracy theory about big, bad Pharma losing too much money goes only so far with me, since I've run and directed cases that took billions and billions of dollars from them.
Here is a link to recently released research on this:

Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Prescription Medication Use In Medicare Part D

Quote:
Using data on all prescriptions filled by Medicare Part D enrollees from 2010 to 2013, we found that the use of prescription drugs for which marijuana could serve as a clinical alternative fell significantly, once a medical marijuana law was implemented.
Quote:
National overall reductions in Medicare program and enrollee spending when states implemented medical marijuana laws were estimated to be $165.2 million per year in 2013.
Quote:
The availability of medical marijuana has a significant effect on prescribing patterns and spending in Medicare Part D.

Last edited by Raddo; 07-28-2016 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,460,608 times
Quote:
Finally, and this is really ironic, it has increased the black market in drug dealing. The reaon is that local law enforcement will no longer pursue local marijuana dealers who are not licensed. To their mind, if you legalize marijuana in a store, then the guy selling it on the corner is just evading a tax scheme - not a cop's job. So there are consequences - not the 'world is ending' consequences that some would have you believe, but mostly negative consequences for users who use it at the wrong time or place.
Seems like a sign of poorly written legislation.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:47 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,294,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
It is just hard to fathom that you are so deluded that you believe a Schedule I substance can be submitted for approval to the FDA. ...
I quit. The powers of ignorance are just too strong for me to battle. You win. [Insert surrender icon here]

The whole reason I refused to teach below the graduate level is that people below that level are wedded (welded?) to incorrect presumptions that preclude constructive thought and the creation of new knowledge.

By your reasoning, all of the studies I read while employed by FDA concerning testing of THC and marijuana on humans in the US didn't exist. So either I'm hallucinating (er..., no pun intended) or your defense mechanisms are impenetrable by hard fact. Don't care which; I'm reverting to my original contractual agreements. I refuse to teach below the graduate level because until students reach that level, they are incapable of accepting reality.

Class dismissed.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 PM

15,002 posts, read 13,350,680 times
Quote:
I quit. The powers of ignorance are just too strong for me to battle. You win. [Insert surrender icon here]

The whole reason I refused to teach below the graduate level is that people below that level are wedded (welded?) to incorrect presumptions that preclude constructive thought and the creation of new knowledge.

By your reasoning, all of the studies I read while employed by FDA concerning testing of THC and marijuana on humans in the US didn't exist. So either I'm hallucinating (er..., no pun intended) or your defense mechanisms are impenetrable by hard fact. Don't care which; I'm reverting to my original contractual agreements. I refuse to teach below the graduate level because until students reach that level, they are incapable of accepting reality.

Class dismissed.
Then name one schedule 1 substance submitted to the FDA that actually got approved.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 PM

3,144 posts, read 888,188 times
Quote:

Class dismissed.
Sounds good to me.

BTW, if the studies you are referring to were ones where the government granted them a wavier, then the product they were testing came from the government, grown on their farm in Mississippi. One strain. No hope of doing proper research, making it very likely that mediocre or worse results would be obtained.

If you are saying they were able to grown their own different strains, here in the US, for testing purposes, then I will require proof, because I do not believe it.

But, on second thought, forget it. This part of the discussion will be moot as soon as cannabis is rescheduled anyway, which will happen sooner or later. I am betting on sooner.

I could not help but notice you completely ignored the strongest evidence yet of cannabis possessing medical properties, and why Big Pharma has had Big Motivation to keep politicians Very Motivated to keep it Very Illegal. I'll go out on a limb and predict that you will continue to use your blinders to ignore this evidence, because it didn't come via the only method you seem willing to accept.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM

15,002 posts, read 13,350,680 times
Quote:

I see a rocky twenty years ahead with lot of back and forth... What comes out the other end holds one certain fact

A nation less enabled...and if the numbers are right one third of the population using marijuana to some extent..and ten plus percent of those being severely afflicted by its use...

I feel proud to have represented my community on an advisory committee for our county ordinances... And getting it passed by a plurality of the voters...battling the ACLU and the deep pockets of large mj money. The ninth circuit has already upheld the challenges o it is the law of the land..now and into the future.

Each community in America will have to come with grips of this..including all who say no big deal...when the skunk weed is hangingng over your fence and the tar is dripping off the plants while your kids are playing in the backyard....when there is drug traffic at all hours of the day. When the welfare collectors are still collecting and all of a sudden driving new cars... You'll care...
Then why aren't a lot of people growing tobacco through out the land, making their own cigarettes and selling them from their homes? A lot of people still love to smoke tobacco.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 AM

11,086 posts, read 4,876,068 times
Absolutely.

If someone wants to smoke a bit of herb and eat a bunch of snacks and have a Netflix marathon or daydream on their couch, have at it.

And that's pretty much what most people do when stoned. It'd be great for the food industry. They ought to be lobbying for legalization the way the prison industry lobbies against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or