U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM

21,692 posts, read 11,148,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Huh? on the bold....

Not sure what you are talking about. What person don't I want associated with slavery who is a mullatto?

And what does Obama have to do with that. Obama calls himself a "black" man. I didn't label him that. I personally think he is bi-racial/mixed (would be called a "mullatto" in the 1600s-early 1900s lol).

I have many ancestors who were labeled as a "mullatto" who were both free and enslaved and I have no reason to disassociate my mullatto ancestors with slavery.

However, I did also have free people of color who are my ancestors. They were also "mullatto" like I mentioned earlier. The one who fought in the Revolution was a mullatto. Prior to serving in the Revolution, he had to sue for his freedom because due to him being a mullatto indentured servant, his master, at the end of the indenture period, attempted to keep him as a servant/slave for life. So he sued based on being "born of a white woman." Due to this he was released of his indentured servitude for this particular master and he went on to join the military and serve in the revolution. He received a pension for his service along with a land grant like many Revolutionary veterans. So he, though he was a mullatto, was not a slave. This is due to the fact that his mother was white and he was a mullatto.
Obama described himself as a mutt or mullatto or both in the beginnig of his term as I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM

18,331 posts, read 8,256,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slaves were treated very well in America. It's well known that slaveowners loved their slaves as if they were their own blood family. They would've never mistreated them.

Sure slaves wanted to be free, but white people knew what was better for black people than black people themselves. Blacks just didn't know how good they had it. Sure, they could beat you and sell away your family (something they did very often), but what's the big deal? Blacks got used to it anyway. Besides, the Bible told them that they were supposed to obey their master's orders.

And who are blacks to go against God, right? I think this is something that we can all agree with.
All too often, slaves were blood family.

Slaves were sold by their half-siblings, their uncles and aunts, their nieces and nephews, their fathers...

Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,304,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The point was that time marches on and whites don't honor their enslaved ancestors and probably haven't for hundreds of years. There will likely come a day when blacks couldn't care less about their enslaved ancestors.
That is because there is a difference between random crimes and systematic oppression. Like whites, black people are not still contesting every non-racially motivated murder of a black person in the 1800's either.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 AM

788 posts, read 343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know what the average American is appreciative of. As for crybabies, i'll defer to you since you're the expert.
I think he means YOU - and for cause, I might add.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:56 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,674,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Huh? on the bold....

Not sure what you are talking about. What person don't I want associated with slavery who is a mullatto?

And what does Obama have to do with that. Obama calls himself a "black" man. I didn't label him that. I personally think he is bi-racial/mixed (would be called a "mullatto" in the 1600s-early 1900s lol).

I have many ancestors who were labeled as a "mullatto" who were both free and enslaved and I have no reason to disassociate my mullatto ancestors with slavery.

However, I did also have free people of color who are my ancestors. They were also "mullatto" like I mentioned earlier. The one who fought in the Revolution was a mullatto. Prior to serving in the Revolution, he had to sue for his freedom because due to him being a mullatto indentured servant, his master, at the end of the indenture period, attempted to keep him as a servant/slave for life. So he sued based on being "born of a white woman." Due to this he was released of his indentured servitude for this particular master and he went on to join the military and serve in the revolution. He received a pension for his service along with a land grant like many Revolutionary veterans. So he, though he was a mullatto, was not a slave. This is due to the fact that his mother was white and he was a mullatto.
The biggest problem its people like you putting others in a box of victimhood!

I know of a beautiful little girl who is half white (mom) and half black (dad) she has no idea about life she is only 6 yrs old. Her white grandmother told me one day the child has "no positive future" since our town has few blacks, that people will look down on her... Not that the fact, her dad left before she was born and the mom had her out of wedlock, with no career or financial way to support the child. The child will never know if she has slavery in her background, but people like you will most likely convince her she does.

So just who is holding back black people? President Obama is ashamed to speak about his mom in a positive light, for fear of not being accepted among blacks. You are building walls, not a future for blacks who happen to be part white.

In the year 2016.......don't you want to just be part of the human race and enjoy the life you now have in America, or are you out to ruin it for everyone?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM

40,170 posts, read 24,399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There was not just black slavery.. O'Reilly is Irish.. he probably has ancestors who were slaves .
England’s next door neighbour, Ireland, quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. The population fell from 1,500,000 to 600,000 within a decade. Irish fathers were not allowed to take their wives and children to their voyage to the Atlantic ripping families apart. In 1650, over 100,000 Irish children between 10 and 14 years of age were taken from their parents and shipped to work for the English Settlers in the West Indies, Virginia, and New England. In the same decade, 52,000 Irish women and children were sold to Barbados and Virginia. The list goes on and on.

The White slavery in America was an expansion of the same practice from the mother country, Britain. The legal form of contracted indentured servitude was just in reality a lifetime form of slavery. . The center of the trade in child-slaves was in the port cities of Britain and Scotland: Press gangs were hired by local merchants to roam the street seizing by force young boys for the slave trade. Children were driven in flocks through the town and confined for shipment in barns. What was outrageous was the fact White children were openly seized from orphanages and workhouses and made to labor in factories for up to sixteen hours locked-up and without any breaks. Children who fell asleep during work were lashed into wakefulness by a whip. Children were also beaten with the use of iron bars called “billy-rollers”. Thousands of children are mangled by factory machines that left them disfigured or disabled for life without any compensation. These Mills and kind of treatment continued to spread to the New World.

If you talk about slavery , lets look at the whole picture .
You really ought to attribute your post. It's not like you just composed this on the fly.

https://www.facebook.com/TaraRoss.17...34676459967296

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
That is because there is a difference between random crimes and systematic oppression. Like whites, black people are not still contesting every non-racially motivated murder of a black person in the 1800's either.
There is. Random criminals can be arrested and locked up, sometimes executed if it is murder. Systematic oppression, well, you have to take on something much bigger.

11,763 posts, read 8,323,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Come on even O'rilley admitted- she was correct in the statement- now you bring el proof of your rebuttal of the facts
Am I wrong?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 5,674,250 times
Sex slave: 'Every day we were raped' - CNN.com

"Every day we were raped. Not only in the house -- they would also take us to the front line for the soldiers to torture us. Then again in the house, in front of the children," Jasmina said through a translator, remembering the 10 other women who were brutalized with her."
"The only conversation we had was when I was begging them to kill me. That's when they laughed. Their response was 'we don't need you dead.' "

But hey, it wasn't so bad because she had a coffee break every 3-4 hours.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:03 AM

16,825 posts, read 9,136,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The Civil War was NOT started to protect slavery.

just because you believe it, does NOT amke it so.
Secession was to protect the institution of slavery. Read the secessionists own words.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States

I have a graduate degree in history (specifically on the US Civil War).

I am happy to offer more reasoning if you would like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or