U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM
 
9,747 posts, read 6,721,123 times
Reputation: 2484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So with this, if a child turned out white, but was part black, would that child be considered a black slave or white slave?


If the child turned out black would they be under the category of black slave or white slave?
I would think that those slaves that had a great deal of European DNA due to forced breeding with the white masters over several generations received preferential treatment or were released. Many probably decided to be white rather than black for obvious reasons. This may be why they came up with the one drop rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM
 
9,747 posts, read 6,721,123 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I recently watched a PBS program that featured one of the stars of the show "Modern Family" (Ty Burrell who plays Phil Dunphy) had a 3rd great grandmother who was bi-racial. She was the product of a rape and she moved to Oregon and had children with a white man. Through the generations they "became" white even though there was always rumors that he was part black that may or may not be true. He found out that they were via the show.

Ty Burrell Black Ancestry
Would you say Ty Burrell is a black man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM
 
66,437 posts, read 30,294,925 times
Reputation: 8660
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh....again, you all with your internet revisionist history.

Indentured servitude was NOT slavery.
Whites weren't just indentured servants. They were actual slaves, as well. The UK sold off the British and Irish they didn't want, as slaves. Stop denying historical fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, Az
77 posts, read 27,710 times
Reputation: 23
"The slaves did not build the White House. They took part in it. The men who designed it and did the skilled labor built it."

Annnnddd who where they? My ancestors were extremely intelligent when it came to architecture and other cool things like astrology, little do you know the man who designed DC itself was indeed a black man, look at DC from birds eye view, it has meaning. Another awesome thing that my culture will not get credit for due to a group of "dishonest people" for lack of better words. Come on guys do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,147 posts, read 8,195,557 times
Reputation: 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Whites weren't just indentured servants. They were actual slaves, as well. The UK sold off the British and Irish they didn't want, as slaves. Stop denying historical fact.
Were any of those white slaves held in the US?

I truly don't know, maybe you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM
 
66,437 posts, read 30,294,925 times
Reputation: 8660
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The first black slave owner was not a black man.
Actually, the first LEGAL slave owner of a Black person in Colonial America was in fact another Black man, Anthony Johnson:
Quote:
Slavery was brought to North America in 1654, when Anthony Johnson, in Northampton County, convinced the court that he was entitled to the lifetime services of John Casor, a Black man. This was the first judicial approval of life servitude, except as punishment for a crime.
Slavery in North America 1654-June 19, 1865?, MLK - Wesleyan University

Stop denying historical fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
I don't think it matters how a slave lives. The lack of freedom is a bigger problem that the "conditions of slavery"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Were any of those white slaves held in the US?

I truly don't know, maybe you do?
They were indentured servants, but they were essentially slaves. They just weren't "legally" slaves, and subject to all of the slave laws of the state. But they functioned, and were viewed as slaves by rich land owners for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Madison, WI
4,809 posts, read 1,629,189 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bill O'Reilly just offered up platitudes.

Slavery is in and of itself abusive, because it determines that one human being can belong to another. The very idea that a human being can be so inferior to another that it's okay to sell or barter them, that they should have no self-autonomy but what their owner provides them is an abhorrence.
100% agreed. I of course would add that ownership doesn't depend on selling or bartering...you can claim ownership over someone by claiming a right to boss them around and take what they produce.

I can't remember if it was you or someone else, but we kind of got into that discussion as it applies to the government/citizen relationship, so I don't think we have to necessarily get into that again. Mostly posting it for others. (May have been TheCityTheBridge now that I think about it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,768 posts, read 34,016,499 times
Reputation: 15275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How is this different than coal miners that were only paid in script that had to be redeemed in a "company store"?? Those people were treated like slaves.
Company script was once common in mining and logging. The difference was that no one was forced to work for these companies in remote locations.

Speaking of company script, up until 2008, Walmart in Mexico used to pay their employees in part, in Walmart coupons. The Mexico Supreme Court finally put an end to this in 2008.

Court outlaws Wal-Mart de Mexico worker vouchers | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top