Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The point was that time marches on and whites don't honor their enslaved ancestors and probably haven't for hundreds of years. There will likely come a day when blacks couldn't care less about their enslaved ancestors.
Yeah, well that day isn't today and won't be tomorrow either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I love it when I see entire threads dedicated to using 21st century moral constructs to 18th century culture and mindsets.

it utterly fails but hey it makes for amazing quantities of outrage.
Do you love it when a major conservative figure tries to make slavery okay by pointing out that a particular group of slaves were well-fed and housed?

And do you love it when said major conservative figure makes these remarks as a way to defuse a black First Lady's point of how far we've come as a nation that the mansion constructed to house this nation's First Family was built in part by slave labor, but now houses a black family?

Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,231,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
We are all slaves to the Central Banking Families and their Friends who own the bankrupt "government", and thus the "human collateral" offered up by "our" government for "financing" and perpetual debt in 1913 are also. At least the slaves back then knew they were slaves. Now the slaves think they are free. The Money Cartel has erected a worldwide Plantation and no one even seems to realize it. Here we just paint our shackles red white and blue and wave our flags cheering on our Masters.
Happiest slaves to ever exist...right here and now.

What a shame.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM

13,418 posts, read 4,770,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
People could be thankful, considering how close the African slaves came to getting deported from the country after the Civil War. Unless they think they would be better off in Rwanda or some place like that.
There it is, the incredibly idiotic position that slaves should be happy they were brought to America. Right, and the man who is thrown in prison should be thankful because, well, he doesn't have to pay rent and he gets free food. And the guy who got his legs blown off in the war, what a lucky stiff, never have to buy another pair of shoes!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM

15,587 posts, read 7,469,671 times
Default My grandmother use to tell me, "Keep picking at that wound ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
I come across so many black people in my everyday life that have not a problem with this that it amazes me to see there people that still do.

Over heard two black people a couple of months back. One was male and the other female and the female was making a comment that I heard in passing. She mentioned slavery being a biblical tradition (may not have used the word tradition); said something about being a Christian woman and having an understanding.

The reality of slavery in this world is that there is not a race in this would on any continent that has not had their ancestry enslaved at one point in time or another. That is the reality. Why can't people turn a page?

Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM

88,598 posts, read 44,302,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They were not slaves for life in America and they especially did not become indentured servants or slaves at their birth like black slaves had occur starting in the late 1600s and early 1700s.
Irish children were taken from their parents against their will, sold as slaves, and shipped to the American colonies. That's unwilling slavery. Period.

Stop denying historical fact.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 PM

2,744 posts, read 1,985,505 times
Quote:
I think most Americans are appreciative of the struggles and hardships their ancestors went through to give them the life they have today. And then there are the crybabies.....
Yes . . . As such, my siblings and I worked much harder in an attempt to show appreciation and respect for their efforts.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It'll always be relevant. You may not care about slavery, but those of us with ancestors that endured it won't forget it and we'll always care about it....and we'll make sure that our kids know about it and care about it.

White people honor their ancestors all the time. They're still having Civil War reenactments and flying dumb flags in honor of their ancestors that supposedly died for the cause of fighting northern tyranny.

So if that's relevant, slavery is relevant, and we're not about to let the memory of it die so that folks like you can pretend that it never happened.

So, whatever...
You didn't live it then and sure as heck don't live it now.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM

788 posts, read 507,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well that day isn't today and won't be tomorrow either.
And that is sad!!! Disgusting, but SAD.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
People could be thankful, considering how close the African slaves came to getting deported from the country after the Civil War. Unless they think they would be better off in Rwanda or some place like that.
Sorry, but you can miss me with the thankful stuff. I'm not thankful for that whatsoever.

Our ancestors didn't come from Rwanda. They came from West Africa. And they certainly lived well enough. Probably a lot better than your ancestors ever did.

This is from Thomas Paine, who lived during slavery and wrote this statement based on what slavers told him themselves...

Quote:
"The Managers of that Trade themselves, and others, testify, that many of these African nations inhabit fertile countries, are industrious farmers, enjoy plenty, and lived quietly, averse to war, before the Europeans debauched them with liquors, and bribing them against one another; and that these inoffensive people are brought into slavery, by stealing them, tempting Kings to sell subjects, which they can have no right to do, and hiring one tribe to war against another, in order to catch prisoners. By such wicked and inhuman ways the English are said to enslave towards one hundred thousand yearly; of which thirty thousand are supposed to die by barbarous treatment in the first year; besides all that are slain in the unnatural wars excited to take them. So much innocent blood have the Managers and Supporters of this inhuman Trade to answer for to the common Lord of all!"
Not a quote from Rush Limbaugh. But by a man who was easily one of the wisest of our Founding Fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies