U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM

50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. A conquered nation doesn't get the spoils. Especially on the victors soil.

As long as you don't hold the 98 percent accountable for what the other 2 percent of all races did.
I don't. But whoever said that i did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
I haven't the foggiest idea who they were, but you are forever stuck in the past with no hope of a future.
I know who they were, and that's all that needs to know. What you know or don't know isn't my problem.

Stuck in the past with no hope of the future? LMAO...what is that, Shakespeare? When i was a much younger man, i had a lot of hopes for my future, and i'm proud as hell to say that i'm living out those hopes....and living quite well too.

Speak for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Strongly agree.

As if a Civil War is irrelevant. As if the cause of that War is irrelevant. As if there haven't been enough assassinations. As if there aren't enough schools named for the Confederate States of America. As if the textbooks in the Confederate, neo-Confederate, & Confederate-American sympathizer Staes are not politically corrected to defend the indefensible.

Remember this gem?

Why Calling Slaves 'Workers' Is More Than An Editing Error : NPR Ed : NPR
Yep. Remember it well.

I mean, they're really gonna tell us that our slave ancestors are irrelevant, and we're just supposed to go along with it and just say "okay."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM

8,094 posts, read 2,412,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
...Yep. Remember it well.

I mean, they're really gonna tell us that our slave ancestors are irrelevant, and we're just supposed to go along with it and just say "okay."
I call it the 'gaslighting' or crazy-making schtick. Don't believe your lyin' eyes!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,988,426 times
Everyone's ancestors were slaves if you go back far enough in history. Some are too ignorant to know this or are just propagandists.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Everyone's ancestors were slaves if you go back far enough in history. Some are too ignorant to know this or are just propagandists.
How about focusing on the United States of America? & our own Civil War. Is it trivial?

Old 07-27-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How about focusing on the United States of America? & our own Civil War. Is it trivial?
It's genealogy and history, NOT politics.

The Irish potato famine is as relevant to American politics.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:38 PM

50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Quote:
Everyone's ancestors aren't my concern. Just mine.

Geez...again for the millionth time.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Everyone's ancestors aren't my concern. Just mine.

Geez...again for the millionth time.
Your ancestors don't belong in the politics forum. Go to the History forum.

Or ancestry.com.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM

788 posts, read 342,079 times
Quote:
I don't. But whoever said that i did?

I know who they were, and that's all that needs to know. What you know or don't know isn't my problem.

Stuck in the past with no hope of the future? LMAO...what is that, Shakespeare? When i was a much younger man, i had a lot of hopes for my future, and i'm proud as hell to say that i'm living out those hopes....and living quite well too.

Speak for yourself.

Yep. Remember it well.

Keep hoping and making excuses. It won't help, but go ahead.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
It's genealogy and history, NOT politics.

The Irish potato famine is as relevant to American politics.
Quote:
...It is difficult for modern Americans to understand such militant commitment to the bondage of others. But at $3.5 billion, the four million enslaved African Americans in the South represented the country’s greatest financial asset. And the dollar amount does not hint at the force of enslavement as a social institution. By the onset of the Civil War, Southern slaveholders believed that African slavery was one of the great organizing institutions in world history, superior to the “free society” of the North. ...
The Confederate Cause in the Words of Its Leaders - The Atlantic

I have no problem discussing Ireland's potato famine as it relates to American History & immigration, etc. It's not irrelevant either however I think we can agree it didn't cause an American Civil War.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:55 PM

35,443 posts, read 10,488,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I have no idea why anyone thinks that is a thing to bring up. well....for being illegally held against their will, they didn't have it so bad.
And you picked a perfect word for it, abomination.

Newsflash: The one who first brought it up was Obama.

You can stop slapping your head now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or