U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 11:22 AM

48,323 posts, read 45,615,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Southern Democratic Party was the racist party that spawned the KKK. Segregation, not so much, since that was a phenomena that was present in the North and the South.

That Southern Democratic Party no longer exists. I realize how difficult it is for you to wrap your mind around, but times have changed. The Dixiecrats became Republicans. And the Republicans sure do toot their horn. They reference themselves as the Party of Lincoln all the time.

Unfortunately, they say things like the above, as well. Black people are not stupid. Black people are not gullible. Your argument that Democrats only changed their words and not their actions in order to "gain power over blacks once again", suggests that you think that black people are stupid and gullible. Why, you can see right through the Democrats, but black people can't! Bless your heart!
While we're on history, I will add a few things.

The Dixiecrats were a segregationist party composed of southern politicians that broke off from the Democrats. Why? Democrat Harry S. Truman wanted to end segregation in the military. Truman was happy to work with Northern liberals such as Hubert H. Humphrey of Minnesota. The 1948 DNC is where the split between liberals and conservatives within the party began. The liberals of that time championed civil rights. Social conservatives believed that states should be able to enforce racial segregation. The Dixiecrats were the conservatives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiec...ntial_election
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Humphrey

This is just my opinion on the subject. I don't think much of this has to do with benefiting Blacks. I believe it has more to do with looking out for self. Some people only want to convince Blacks to vote Republican because they are looking out for their own needs, not Blacks. I think there is a feeling of "the way Blacks vote is burdensome for us, so we need to convince them to vote for the party that helps us".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,684,932 times
Quote:
That's why David Duke endorsed.....Donald Trump!
KKK grand dragon endorses Hillary Clinton for president | Fox News
Republican frontrunner Donald Trump was recently criticized for a perceived reticence to disavow the endorsement of former KKK leader David Duke. Trump has since clearly disavowed Duke’s vote of confidence. Clinton has yet to be asked about Quigg’s endorsement.
Quigg bases his support on his belief that Clinton is pushing false promises on the campaign trail. Once she gets elected, he contends, her agenda will completely shift.
“Border policies are going to be put in place,” Quigg said. “Our second amendment rights that she’s saying she’s against now, she’s not against. She’s just our choice for the presidency.”
But Clinton wasn’t always Quigg’s choice.

United In Hate? Fmr. KKK Leader David Duke Endorses Black Anti-Zionist For Congress | Mediaite
It’s a match made in hate-filled heaven: former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard and Louisiana legislator David Duke endorsed, via video, Charles Barron, the controversial anti-Israel Democrat from Brooklyn, New York, who currently seeks the party’s nomination for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Now would you like to debate 1-8? You seemed to have missed my point.......was that by accident or on purpose?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM

1,868 posts, read 921,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ok. What does that have to do with slavery being in the DNA of THIS country? I don't care about what happened in the rest of the world.
Don't care what happened in the rest of the world but so many are pushing for open borders/complete globalization.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM

40,182 posts, read 24,423,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

well, here is where we disagree....not all black people or any nationality are the same intellectually...and I firmly believe that the Dems are simply preying on the sympathies of blacks who are gang bangers of voting age, BLM, etc...simply to gain their votes...and they are of course, promising freebes...so no matter how you swing it...they are no longer concerned with Middle class Americans, but more so, those who are still trapped in poverty...and illegals...Muslims, just to name a few. They are looking for the minority vote...
and of course the woman's vote, b/c there are so many women voting for Hillary simply b/c she is a woman.
The problem is that you say you don't believe that all black people or any "nationality" are the same intellectually, but then you make the argument about Democrats "preying" on the sympathies of black people, and how promising "freebies" is effective at getting black people to vote for Democrats, as if this doesn't demean black people that they can't see how they are being "preyed" upon.

Very few women are voting for Hillary "simply b/c she is a woman." Women are thrilled that this particular glass ceiling is being assaulted, but voters vote for the party and candidates that they feel will best represent their goals and interests. If the Libertarian Party resonates with them, they'll vote for the Libertarian Party. And if the Republican Party resonates with them, they'll vote for the Republican Party.

But this meme you are repeating, that the Democratic party "preys" on people, doesn't resonate with those people. No one likes to think of themselves as stupid or gullible. As long as this is a message, it will be rejected, and the party sending that message will be rejected.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,325,964 times
Quote:
She wasn't trying to be divisive. The word "helped" would have been superfluous. I would think that most Americans have a sufficient familiarity with history that they would know that non-slaves were involved with the construction as well. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you are arguing that the American educational system is so poor that Americans would think that slaves, with no oversight or supervision, just designed the White House themselves, and magically obtained the building materials, and worked tirelessly to build a home for the nation's First Family, while they also made sure they were well-fed and housed. All on their own.

She wasn't trying to be divisive at all. To point out the progress that black people have made in our society could only be considered divisive by people whose agenda is to deny that progress.
Do I think that 90% of Libs watching that speech believe that the White House was built exclusively by slaves....YES!! The vast majority of Libs have zero knowledge of US History. Obama said it and they take it literally. If you truly believe otherwise, you are blissfully ignorant.

The fact is that the Obama administration has been intentionally divisive since day one.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
KKK grand dragon endorses Hillary Clinton for president | Fox News
Republican frontrunner Donald Trump was recently criticized for a perceived reticence to disavow the endorsement of former KKK leader David Duke. Trump has since clearly disavowed Duke’s vote of confidence. Clinton has yet to be asked about Quigg’s endorsement.
Quigg bases his support on his belief that Clinton is pushing false promises on the campaign trail. Once she gets elected, he contends, her agenda will completely shift.
“Border policies are going to be put in place,” Quigg said. “Our second amendment rights that she’s saying she’s against now, she’s not against. She’s just our choice for the presidency.”
But Clinton wasn’t always Quigg’s choice.

United In Hate? Fmr. KKK Leader David Duke Endorses Black Anti-Zionist For Congress | Mediaite
It’s a match made in hate-filled heaven: former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard and Louisiana legislator David Duke endorsed, via video, Charles Barron, the controversial anti-Israel Democrat from Brooklyn, New York, who currently seeks the party’s nomination for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Now would you like to debate 1-8? You seemed to have missed my point.......was that by accident or on purpose?
Oh, please. Quigg just recognizes that his endorsement is a negative, and so he endorsed the candidate he most wanted to damage.

Duke, on the other hand, is nursing political aspirations, and sees that some Trump supporters share his political proclivities. Duke is trying to ride on Trump's coattails.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Do I think that 90% of Libs watching that speech believe that the White House was built exclusively by slaves....YES!!
NO!

I don't think that anyone watching that speech believed that.

Your derision for Liberals colors your thinking.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM

50,838 posts, read 26,832,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's about a ridiculous obsession.
Your obsession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe Bill was trying to quell the hate.. and it backfired to an enormous measure. Some could have had visions of whippings and beatings of slaves to get the White House built.

I think it was inappropriate that Michelle had to say that at all at the time where racial tensions are high.
Your racial tensions are always high.

Speak only for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think Michelle is an awesome speaker, and a beautiful woman....but to me, and for me, she just can't seem to get past slavery...and I also believe the Obama's incited BLM, along with their racial phobias...

Racial tensions were not this high until the past 4 years...

Bill O'Reily, I don't like so much...I think he is bigoted and unable to see the other side of things...he to me, is also a bully. However, in this particular case, I don't believe he meant anything racist at all...he was simply responding to the statement that Michelle had made...and btw, the last thing right now, that any first lady should be doing is firing up racial tensions...I believe she is more Racist then some whites, simply b/c I've heard her make these kind of statements for a long time...she is very angry...still...
Those of you complaining about racial tensions just kill me. Fact is, with you folks, racial tensions are ALWAYS high.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,684,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The issues that black Americans deal with in regards to housing go back way further than Fannie Mae and Acorn. They are tied to housing discrimination which occurred to a high degree between 1940 and 1960 when ethnic whites moved out of inner city neighborhoods into suburban communities and were able to finally begin to move into the middle class in large numbers due to the economic contribution of the wealth/value of their homes and a good post WW2 economy.

Black Americans were not allowed to do so and due to redlining their neighborhoods were devalued by our federal government. Formerly redlined neighborhoods are still devalued today in most instances and a neighborhood's value is still tied to the demographics of the residents who live in those neighborhoods. Even black people who have a earn a mid to upper level income who reside in majority black neighborhoods/subdivisions with beautiful homes, their beautiful homes in safe areas are valued less than similar homes in neighborhoods/subdivisions where a majority of white people live. The effects of housing discrimination is still a huge factor in regards to the wealth inequality we see today in our country.

But again, this is a totally different subject and one I'm sure that has been discussed before on this forum. If you want to know more about it read this article from The Atlantic
From your link; When Clyde Ross was still a child, Mississippi authorities claimed his father owed $3,000 in back taxes. The elder Ross could not read. He did not have a lawyer. He did not know anyone at the local courthouse. He could not expect the police to be impartial. Effectively, the Ross family had no way to contest the claim and no protection under the law. The authorities seized the land. They seized the buggy. They took the cows, hogs, and mules. And so for the upkeep of separate but equal, the entire Ross family was reduced to sharecropping.

Ummm, we all have to pay our taxes.......if you can't pay your taxes you are showing you have no income to pay for a mortgage. Mortgage loans are not for free you have to have the income to pay the mortgage.

From your link;
Three months after Clyde Ross moved into his house, the boiler blew out. This would normally be a homeowner’s responsibility, but in fact, Ross was not really a homeowner. His payments were made to the seller, not the bank. And Ross had not signed a normal mortgage. He’d bought “on contract”: a predatory agreement that combined all the responsibilities of homeownership with all the disadvantages of renting—while offering the benefits of neither. Ross had bought his house for $27,500. The seller, not the previous homeowner but a new kind of middleman, had bought it for only $12,000 six months before selling it to Ross. In a contract sale, the seller kept the deed until the contract was paid in full—and, unlike with a normal mortgage, Ross would acquire no equity in the meantime. If he missed a single payment, he would immediately forfeit his $1,000 down payment, all his monthly payments, and the property itself.

This has nothing to do with not being able to get a loan......this is due to lack of education and signing a false contract. How do you justify blaming banks?

The black man's story is not too far off from the white man... Farmers Without Land: The Plight of White Tenant Farmers and Sharecroppers | Mississippi History Now

After the Civil War, tenant farming and sharecropping became a way of life for the vast majority of Mississippi farmers. Freed African-American slaves generally had no resources or access to credit to purchase land, and most of Mississippi’s black population that worked in agriculture in the late 19th and early 20th centuries became sharecroppers. With Mississippi’s devastated economy in the years following the Civil War, increasing numbers of white landowning farmers were also reduced to the status of landless farmer.
Many of Mississippi’s small white landowning farmers, also known as yeoman farmers, had not been heavily involved in the cotton economy before the Civil War; however, after the war, a number of factors led the white yeoman farmers to turn increasingly to cotton cultivation. They needed cash to pay off debts acquired during four years of war and the increased taxes levied during Reconstruction and beyond. In addition, new railroad lines built after the war improved access to distant markets and encouraged the development of commercial agriculture among formerly subsistence farmers (subsistence farmers are those who grow crops primarily to feed themselves, their families, and their livestock, rather than to make a profit).
Unfortunately, the price of cotton began a long period of decline in the late 1860s, and many of those white yeomen who had staked their future on cotton production lost their farms. When they did, they frequently became tenant farmers or sharecroppers. By 1900, 36 percent of all white farmers in Mississippi were either tenant farmers or sharecroppers (by comparison, 85 percent of all black farmers in 1900 did not own the land they farmed).

My dad was a cotton farmer, who became a ranch hand.......you can't cry me a river.......he never owned a home and died a poor man. My family was never connected to slavery.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM

5,464 posts, read 2,507,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ok. What does that have to do with slavery being in the DNA of THIS country? I don't care about what happened in the rest of the world.

Total nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or