U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:15 PM

391 posts, read 215,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i dont have reality of slavery, why because it happen 150 years ago. I wasnt there
Look up sharecropping....

But this happened to blacks, whites and others.. mostly blacks though. Friend of mine's dad bought his family out of sharecropping (he purchased the land and had a house built for them). His father grew up as a sharecropper and then joined the Army. So how many generations are they really removed from slavery? Hearing his dad talk about it, it seemed like slavery to me.

The notion of slavery ending long ago is both true and a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:24 PM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
No we know slavery was held in place by Democrats!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM

50,508 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
No we know slavery was held in place by Democrats!
And slavery 's apologists are all Republicans.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,663,054 times
The people who want to act so horrified by slavery should make an effort to address the slavery that exists today, instead of constantly complaining about slavery that happened 150 years ago.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:07 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Slavwry is not reverent today and I myself have no concept of it today because it hasn't been in action for 150 years , they is actually nothing I can do about it, one says we must teach our youth about history and not let them forget about it, which I agree with but since it's comes up in every conversation, you are not teaching history but teaching hate. The subject of hate the white is all that being done, it the BLM concept, it not equal anything.

I guess the black mummify want all white to go back to Europe and leave everything laying for the black to consume then they will have to fight the native Americans and the Latino for what's left.

As I white I can't help you , they is absolutely nothing I can do about something that happen 150 years ago, my family did not arrive till 1959
So why are you commenting on something that neither involves you nor your ancestors? Sounds like you have no dog in this fight. Yet, you're very defensive. Why? It is because you're White and feel compelled to justify the behavior of other Whites towards Blacks no matter how heinous? I see this continuously where White immigrants who came to the brawl late feel that they must defend actions that were indefensible simply because the perpetrators had White skin. How foolish.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The first black slave owner in America was black.. half the slaves were owned by blacks.. the slaves were sold by blacks.

The elites are the slave owners.. not the poor , they were slaves too. I am part Irish, and I have been called a potato picker.

The first paragraph is a lie. Otherwise, cite your sources. Half of the Black slaves in USA were not owned by Blacks. You're saying that to deflect White guilt.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 PM

22,438 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm sick and tired of hearing about slavery.

I am also.

...there are all kinds of slavery going on right now....
and corporations are getting rich off them.

So corporations are NOT allowed to make a profit AFTER oaying all those people wo work for them?

...so, lets move on....

You first!
If you don't want to hear about it, why do you participate in the thread?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 PM

22,438 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So with this, if a child turned out white, but was part black, would that child be considered a black slave or white slave?

If the child turned out black would they be under the category of black slave or white slave?
See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you want to understand how "badly" every decendent of a slave has been treated, compare your life to that of the average person in Africa. You should thank your lucky stars that your ancestors (despite the misery of slavery) are the reason that you have a free, comfortable life in the US.
Wow, another delusional poster. Do you want to thank someone for your comfortable life in the US? Why not thank Black slavery which was crucial to the early wealth accumulation of this country in which you have benefited from.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, y'know, nobody is FORCING her (or her husband, or her children) to live there. After all, the family is independently wealthy, they could rent (or buy) a house in D.C. that has no connection to slavery at all, perhaps one that was built by Union Workers sometime since 1970! In fact, she did not have to accompany barack to D.C. at all. She could have stayed in Chicago, in the house they had there.

No, I don't feel at all sorry for her. She made a choice. She only has a few more months to live with that choice, then she can shout to the world "FREE at last, FREE at last, thank (whoever) we are FREE AT LAST!"
While her hubby gets all the benefits of being an EX-president, FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!
The FLOTUS wasn't complaining about living there. She was acknowledging the people whose hard work and skill in being a part of the building of the White House had heretofore always been left unmentioned, unacknowledged, and unappreciated publicly on the world stage. I'm so glad she did. Don't you just love it? All former presidents of our country get the benefits for being a former POTUS for the rest of their lives. Why should Obama be any different? Does it anger you that he will have these benefits? Please do tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or