U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 PM

22,611 posts, read 10,460,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
He's talking about people 17 and 18 years old. They should have had other history teachers before him that taught them something about this.
The job of a teacher -- and I was one -- is not to teach them what they already know or what is wrong. The job of a teacher is to give them and lead them to knowledge they don't have. If we're talking about selling houses, that's your expertise. If we're talking about teaching and learning, that's mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 PM

24,908 posts, read 9,706,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Golly gee that's great!

I'm gonna 'mute' myself now.

G'night & have a pleasant tomorrow.
Always glad to help ChiGeekGuest.

Get your rest. Need you to promise your future labor to "the cause" so we can all live in one big happy collectivist family.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:08 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,773,308 times
Slavery was a world institution (still is in some parts)

Why does the U.S. still has the guilt trip? Many monuments in China, Japan, Russia and Europe and Africa and the Americas were built by slaves. I don't see any of them with the slavery guilt shi@t we have here.

the Greeks and Romans practiced slavery and all their monuments were done by slaves, so was the Great Wall Of China. Egypt monuments were built by slaves. So did Japan.

the political correct crowd of this country should get over it.

even the Monuments from the Aztecs, Incas and the Mayans in the Americas were built by slaves from weaker tribes they conquered.....you thought they had free will work and employee's rights and benefits and were allow to unionized?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 PM

50,770 posts, read 26,797,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

Why does the U.S. still has the guilt trip? Many monuments in China, Japan, Russia and Europe and Africa and the Americas were built by slaves. I don't see any of them with the slavery guilt shi@t we have here.

the Greeks and Romans practiced slavery and all their monuments were done by slaves, so was the Great Wall Of China. Egypt monuments were built by slaves. So did Japan.

even the Monuments from the Aztecs, Incas and the Mayans in the Americas were built by slaves from weaker tribes they conquered.....you thought they had free will work and employee's rights and benefits and were allow to unionized?
None of those places were founded on America's ideals.

Now if you wanna say that there's no such thing as American Exceptionalism, then i'm cool with your opinion. But If America is special, everything you posted is bunk.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM

7,078 posts, read 2,617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

The misconception is ancient times vs modern times. It was well accepted that even in the 1600's that slavery was a vile industry. This was in despite of historical slavery. Many Patriots were against slavery at the time of the revolution but in the name of unity they compromised. It was an easy compromise for sure.

It is not a guilt trip to acknowledge you ancestors faults.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:59 PM

788 posts, read 343,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
None of those places were founded on America's ideals.

Now if you wanna say that there's no such thing as American Exceptionalism, then i'm cool with your opinion. But If America is special, everything you posted is bunk.
One day, someday, perhaps, you will post something that isn't utter rubbish.

Hint: it was the intent of the Founders to abolish slavery from the Founding. It took time and convincing, but it was their intent, embodied in the Constitution, but your HATE, your maniacal, infantile HATE blinds you to it.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM

50,770 posts, read 26,797,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post

Hint: it was the intent of the Founders to abolish slavery from the Founding. It took time and convincing, but it was their intent, embodied in the Constitution, but your HATE, your maniacal, infantile HATE blinds you to it.
Intent?

Yeah. But they didn't abolish it.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,676,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The job of a teacher -- and I was one -- is not to teach them what they already know or what is wrong. The job of a teacher is to give them and lead them to knowledge they don't have. If we're talking about selling houses, that's your expertise. If we're talking about teaching and learning, that's mine.
Well, we should all take a deep breathe and feel better you got this!

You and others can go check out the go fund me sites.....do your part.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/07/...rything-371115

Is white privilege leaving you guilt-ridden? Are you looking for a way to repair the damage caused by your ancestors, whether they were slave owners or abolitionists?
Look no further than Reparations.me, a website from Seattle-basted artist Natasha Marin that affords self-hating white people the opportunity to help African-Americans recover from slavery, despite the fact there isn’t a single African-American alive who experienced antebellum slavery.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 PM

788 posts, read 343,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Intent?

Yeah. But they didn't abolish it.
Well, except for your self-imposed slavery, they did. It took a while, and a war, but it is gone, well except for yours.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 PM

22,611 posts, read 10,460,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post

I don't care what their intent was.
It didn't matter what their intent was.
The only thing that mattered was what they actually did.
And that's particularly true to those people who were slaves all or most of their lives.

As Hubert Humphrey said in an interview not long before his death from cancer, when asked if there are things he wish he'd done in his life, he said: "I don't belong to the should have club. It doesn't matter what you should have done or could have done. It only matters what you actually did."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or