U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 03:55 PM

22,459 posts, read 10,399,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
You may not have noticed (apparently you haven't), but the long painful process set into motion by the Founders, came to a successful end under Lincoln, so they were successful.

We didn't land on the moon bright and early the day after JFK set it as a national goal. Imagine if you wanted to end pet ownership in the US. How long wold that take. Back then the Federal government was very weak and couldn't just issue an edict. If you knew history, you'd know this, but I suspect Ignorance makes a better bed for you to lie in.
1. The Founders didn't accomplish their goal. And in fact, many of them owned slaves themselves. Someone else accomplished the goal long after all the Founders were dead and buried.

2. I'll be happy to lay in my bed...while you make excuses for inaction on human rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM

21,499 posts, read 11,599,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What you want isn't important though.

It's our history and those are OUR ancestors, not yours. We'll "get over it" in our own way and time. A time that we'll set, not you. In fact, don't take this personally, but your opinion doesn't matter at all because you're not in the tribe. Only tribal member's opinions matter.

And what "far worse" thing have people gotten over much more quickly, as you say? Like what? Tell me.
Look at the Hmong. They were hunted for 1000 years, hid in the mountains to stay alive. Relocated to America and within 30 years they have learned the language and already become more successful than African Americans. Imagine how far ahead they will be in another 20 years....

They don't whine about anything, they just work hard and are thankful to be here.

You should try it.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,108,101 times
Most slaves had better lives than white immigrants; living in lavish slave housing and drinking clean spring water. Masters suppling them with the best health care and Sunday vacations. Yeah the freedom was kind of lacking but stepping over homeless Irish immigrants half dead in the snow on their way to toasty slave housing, banjo music, and hearty porridge wasn't all that bad given the time and circumstances.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yes, ending slavery 150 years ago was huge. And the GOP spent the next 100 years being the only real champion for black rights while Democrats were the party of Jim Crow.

Then 50 years ago, the Democrats were lucky enough to be the party in power when the whole Civil Rights Movement happened, took a massive political risk, betrayed their Dixiecrat members and jumped in and fought for equal rights. Republican response? They reached out to the Dixiecrat racist South quietly welcoming them and their worldviews into the party. There have been racist undertones within the GOP ever since. Then the GOP whines 90% of blacks voting against them.

Point is, the GOP and it's media sounding boards are not doing much to make black America like them very much. It doesn't take much effort to be nicer and more tactful.
Good summary. I would just switch the word undertones to overtones.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
...The US is full of blacks who understand and are turning away from the Democrat machine. ...
Is that why less than 1% of the delegates to the GOP national convention this year were Black? Less even than 4 years ago?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:53 PM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
When a person is dissing or putting off a black conservative/Republican, they usually are Democrat. See post above......

Funny, how you people try damn hard to distant any black person who supports the Republican party. After all, who came up with Uncle Tom? Most Democrats vote for unions, welfare and any other government hand out.....could this be the real reason some blacks vote Democrat they have to or they lose what little has been given to them. Look how Dems tried to win women over by claiming our birth control and abortions would vanish.....and some women believed it.
A.) I'm not a Democrat and I'm not black. I'm a white Libertarian. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick R or D, I'd tell you to pull the trigger. But if that's not an option, I'd pick team R.
B.) I already pointed out everything you just said: That the Democrats were the champions of slavery. After slavery was abolished, they were the champions of racism and segregation for the next 100 years.
C.) In the 1960's, the Dems pulled an 180 switched sides. At that point the GOP tried to bring the racist South into their party.
D.) So for the past 50 years, the GOP has had the unfortunate habit being unfriendly towards black America. They really need to knock it off. Guys like Bill O'Reilly claiming "slavery wasn't all that bad" just pisses them off and reinforces the false notion that Republicans are black-hating racists.
E.) Solution: Stop saying crap like that. Be more polite and tactful.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Yeah. That's really not happening. A black preacher at your convention is hardly on par with a black president.

Democrats have essentially become the party of minorities and the disenfranchised.

Smart people put their money on the total demise of the Republican Party because 1) it has proven again and again that it is incapable of effective policy. Instead it does stuff like blames the victims of poverty, homophobia and racism (even rape!) for their plight (then rolls out some tokens very 4 years for a few illusive votes). 2) its base is experiencing hive collapse. Romney, for example, won a lager share of the white vote than Bush or Reagan and still lost.
In all fairness, 4 years ago the Republicans had a Black pizza man.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the Hmong. They were hunted for 1000 years, hid in the mountains to stay alive. Relocated to America and within 30 years they have learned the language and already become more successful than African Americans. Imagine how far ahead they will be in another 20 years....

They don't whine about anything, they just work hard and are thankful to be here.

You should try it.
Well, I just Googled "Hmong adjustment" and found a ton of articles...mostly on the negative side.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM

7,184 posts, read 5,413,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What you want isn't important though.

It's our history and those are OUR ancestors, not yours. We'll "get over it" in our own way and time. A time that we'll set, not you. In fact, don't take this personally, but your opinion doesn't matter at all because you're not in the tribe. Only tribal member's opinions matter.

And what "far worse" thing have people gotten over much more quickly, as you say? Like what? Tell me.
This is great. I think you've finally told the truth. We are all tribal. I could not care less about opinions out of your tribe. The ironic thing is I think we reached peak "your tribe." People are caring less and less. Oh, and the fact the country is becoming more Hispanic and Asian - they don't give a rats ass and don't have any of the white guilt.

Cheers!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 PM

50,586 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

You should try it.
I'm not Hmong. Don't wanna be either.

They're so successful? In that case, maybe YOU should try their methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Most slaves had better lives than white immigrants; living in lavish slave housing and drinking clean spring water. Masters suppling them with the best health care and Sunday vacations. Yeah the freedom was kind of lacking but stepping over homeless Irish immigrants half dead in the snow on their way to toasty slave housing, banjo music, and hearty porridge wasn't all that bad given the time and circumstances.
Irish immigrants had it worse?

That's strange...why do so many African Americans have Irish names?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
This is great. I think you've finally told the truth. We are all tribal. I could not care less about opinions out of your tribe. The ironic thing is I think we reached peak "your tribe." People are caring less and less. Oh, and the fact the country is becoming more Hispanic and Asian - they don't give a rats ass and don't have any of the white guilt.

Cheers!
Caring less and less? They NEVER cared in the first place.

As for Hispanic or Asians, i couldn't possibly care less about how they feel. If white folks opinions don't matter, then you already know that everyone else's opinions don't count for much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or