U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 05:11 PM

50,617 posts, read 26,709,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL, great entertainment in these posts. I think you overestimate just how much the average people cared about slaves. They were pretty busy staying alive in those days.

Imagine how far you would have gone in life without these worthless thoughts going through your head.
They cared enough to go to war to KEEP slaves, so obviously they cared enough.

And yeah, I'd probably be even further ahead of you than I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"Everybody else is doing it" is no excuse for immorality.
Ahh, the classic "I wouldn't have 1427 values" spoken from someone looking at things through 2016 eyes.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The Bible reads the same then as it does today. However, the Priest interrupted the Bible for their parishioners. Then along came a man named Martin Luther who declared (officially in 1517 by letter to the Roman Church) Christians can have a personal relationship with God and they no longer needed the Priest to do their bidding to God in forgiveness for their sins.

Martin Luther posts 95 theses - Oct 31, 1517 - HISTORY.com

"By the time Luther died, of natural causes, in 1546, his revolutionary beliefs had formed the basis for the Protestant Reformation, which would over the next three centuries revolutionize Western civilization."

Social evolution, takes time.

One day, abortion may be condemned just as slavery has for those living in past societies. When that day comes people will look at those in the 21st century and the Bible won't be there for them to blame.
I agree. Social norms, values and religion are not static throughout history.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 PM

24,790 posts, read 9,655,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Ahh, the classic "I wouldn't have 1427 values" spoken from someone looking at things through 2016 eyes.
In 100 years there may very well be commonly held morals/values that will make today's morals/values look barbaric/cruel. In fact, it's nearly certain.

As an anarchist I believe in a stateless society upheld by the non-aggression principle. Not a new thought. Not an original thought. Lysander Spooner, who was vehemently anti-slavery in the Civil War era, held many beliefs that I hold now.

If anarchy comes to fruition I'll be thrilled (though I can't see it happening in my lifetime). In any event, I would rather try to convince others of my values/theories than "out-moral" them. Life isn't going to be much fun if you need to be right over the experience of trying to get to a better place.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I agree. Social norms, values and religion are not static throughout history.
But wasn't the Bible static though?

So people were bigger hypocrites back then?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But wasn't the Bible static though?

So people were bigger hypocrites back then?
Isn't the interpretation of religious text continually changing hand in hand with values of norms? I'd say they aren't static - a priest from 1500 years ago probably wouldn't see eye to eye on a lot of things with the current Pope.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,657,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. The vast majority of Democrat superdelegates were elected officials. Elected. Representatives of the general public.

2. If you think Bill O'Reilly is an independent and that with any frequency that he votes for a Democrat, you are seriously deluded.

3. It is true that most American churches said slavery was wrong. And yet, particularly throughout the South, most slave owners were long-time members of those churches.
Before you make an uneducated claim look it up......he happened to have voted for Obama twice. You people know nothing about Fox news.......nothing about the people you just say what you want without looking into it. You're nothing but a cherry picker!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 1,353,323 times
Anything to whitewash history. Its a waste of time to argue this point with those that think of you as subhuman .

Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Anything to whitewash history. Its a waste of time to argue this point with those that think of you as subhuman .
Pretty much.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 AM

24,790 posts, read 9,655,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Whitewash? That's racist!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or