U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It'll always be relevant. You may not care about slavery, but those of us with ancestors that endured it won't forget it and we'll always care about it....and we'll make sure that our kids know about it and care about it.

White people honor their ancestors all the time. They're still having Civil War reenactments and flying dumb flags in honor of their ancestors that supposedly died for the cause of fighting northern tyranny.

So if that's relevant, slavery is relevant, and we're not about to let the memory of it die so that folks like you can pretend that it never happened.

So, whatever...
Well, it is in the history books, do whites have to be reminded on a daily basis, when most whites alive today, ancestors never owned slaves, I know for a fact mine didn't. You don't here Jews crying about being enslaved by the Egyptians for thousands of years. I believe blacks bring it up to gain sympathy and leverage, got news for ya, most of us don't by into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
White people can honor their own slave ancestors. That's none of my concern. Blacks didn't enslave whites in America.

Besides, if your point is that blacks shouldn't talk about slavery because whites don't, forget it. We're not mandated to do what whites do. We do what we wanna do irrespective of what other races do.
It is no concern of most white folks that Blacks were enslaved, since most of their ancestors did not own slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How is this different than coal miners that were only paid in script that had to be redeemed in a "company store"?? Those people were treated like slaves.
Basically they were slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:31 AM
 
15,489 posts, read 7,911,786 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Basically they were slaves.
They were not slaves. FYI I have black enslaved coal miners in my ancestry.

A slave in America was born into slavery and was not considered a human being. They had no right to themselves and they could not move freely about the community and country.

White coal miners were not born into slavery. They were not forced to stay working in the mines. They could leave and not have the law of the land state they were property and be forced to return the the mines.

This whole thread has shown that Yes, there are people in America who have no concept of the reality of slavery as it was in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They were not slaves. FYI I have black enslaved coal miners in my ancestry.

A slave in America was born into slavery and was not considered a human being. They had no right to themselves and they could not move freely about the community and country.

White coal miners were not born into slavery. They were not forced to stay working in the mines. They could leave and not have the law of the land state they were property and be forced to return the the mines.

This whole thread has shown that Yes, there are people in America who have no concept of the reality of slavery as it was in our country.
If you owed your soul to the company store, you could not leave and they suffered the same horrible working conditions as there slave counter parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596
Interesting.
Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:37 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,123,610 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, it is in the history books, do whites have to be reminded on a daily basis, when most whites alive today, ancestors never owned slaves, I know for a fact mine didn't. You don't here Jews crying about being enslaved by the Egyptians for thousands of years. I believe blacks bring it up to gain sympathy and leverage, got news for ya, most of us don't by into it.
The revolutionary war is in the history books yet we keep celebrating it every year. If we already gained our independence then why do we have to keep being reminded of it every year.

The Jewish people will always remind folks about what there ancestors went threw. Jews own all of America of course they aren't complaining lol especially when your white Jew and able to move threw society with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,953,635 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They were not slaves. FYI I have black enslaved coal miners in my ancestry.

A slave in America was born into slavery and was not considered a human being. They had no right to themselves and they could not move freely about the community and country.

White coal miners were not born into slavery. They were not forced to stay working in the mines. They could leave and not have the law of the land state they were property and be forced to return the the mines.

This whole thread has shown that Yes, there are people in America who have no concept of the reality of slavery as it was in our country.
We know the concept of the reality of slavery, we are tired of hearing your crying about it at every turn, White folks have moved on, time for blacks to move on also. In other words, quit ur bitchin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,440 posts, read 4,100,134 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
desertdetroiter It'll always be relevant. You may not care about slavery, but those of us with ancestors that endured it won't forget it and we'll always care about it....and we'll make sure that our kids know about it and care about it.

White people honor their ancestors all the time. They're still having Civil War reenactments and flying dumb flags in honor of their ancestors that supposedly died for the cause of fighting northern tyranny.

So if that's relevant, slavery is relevant, and we're not about to let the memory of it die so that folks like you can pretend that it never happened.

So, whatever...

But here's the difference......


You don't WANT these whites to have these reenactments, or to fly a Confederate flag, or to honor their ancestors. But you don't want them to ignore the fact that you want to do this for your heritage. See the hypocrisy? Just because you think it dumb doesn't mean it is to others nor does it actually classify the re-enactments as dumb. Remember what you said... it's a part of history and sadly I'm not sure you understand history as well as you think you do.


It's not.... "well they do it so we can too" but rather "We have earned the right to do it and you haven't... and it offends me".


You don't get to pick and choose what you want. Your ancestors endured slavery. My ancestors endured poverty, aggression, and the North invading and killing a lot of them because they lived in the South.


Shouldn't that be enough to realize how petty the argument is today? No one avoided some form of suffering. No one. For you to make an attempt to continue it by presenting YOUR version of the "facts" to your kids is not only providing them a huge disservice, you are also PLACING the hurdle in front of them and telling them that they now have to overcome something that otherwise wouldn't have been as large as our generations.


If we all acted like adults, and stopped cherrypicking history and just moved on, we could take away some of the very problems our kids are going to face. We are causing these problems for them out of spite for another race. Compare this to watching two 5 year olds who poke each other with a stick because the other poked them. They don't yet have logic behind them, so they continue the back and forth until both are hurt simply because one wants to get in the last jab.


Why is that so difficult to see? I want my kids to have it better than I did. I am sure you do too, as does anyone else with children. Yet, we can't get out of our own way to give them that opportunity.

Last edited by Nlambert; 08-05-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,123,610 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Your late with this info if you go back a couple of pages you will see this has already been discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top