U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:46 AM
 
Location: SGV
24,859 posts, read 9,681,823 times
Reputation: 9737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If you owed your soul to the company store, you could not leave and they suffered the same horrible working conditions as there slave counter parts.
Huh?

There are varying degrees of slavery but when you compare one group that had freedom of movement (coal miners) to that of another who would be killed if they left in the same era in the same State...it's a bit ridiculous. The State, the ultimate slave master, made that very clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,436 posts, read 4,089,099 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Your late with this info if you go back a couple of pages you will see this has already been discussed.


Doesn't make it any less valid though, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:48 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,120,233 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
But here's the difference......


You don't WANT these whites to have these reenactments, or to fly a Confederate flag, or to honor their ancestors. But you want to be able to do the same for yours. See the hypocrisy?


It's not.... "well they do it so we can too" but rather "We have earned the right to do it and you haven't... and it offends me".


You don't get to pick and choose what you want. Your ancestors endured slavery. My ancestors endured poverty, aggression, and the North invading and killing a lot of them because they lived in the South.


Shouldn't that be enough to realize how petty the argument is today? No one avoided some form of suffering. No one. For you to make an attempt to continue it by presenting YOUR version of the "facts" to your kids is not only providing them a huge disservice, you are also PLACING the hurdle in front of them and telling them that they now have to overcome something that otherwise wouldn't have been as large as our generations.


If we all acted like adults, and stopped cherrypicking history and just moved on, we could take away some of the very problems our kids are going to face. We are causing these problems for them out of spite for another race. Compare this to watching two 5 year olds who poke each other with a stick because the other poked them. They don't yet have logic behind them, so they continue the back and forth until both are hurt simply because one wants to get in the last jab.


Why is that so difficult to see? I want my kids to have it better than I did. I am sure you do too, as does anyone else with children. Yet, we can't get out of our own way to give them that opportunity.

That is not the same celebrating a flag that white supremacy groups used as a symbol of hate should not be celebrated on this countries soul. Especially someone like Dylan Roof who is seen using the flag. You know the man who shot up those 9 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:48 AM
 
15,489 posts, read 7,894,674 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
We know the concept of the reality of slavery, we are tired of hearing your crying about it at every turn, White folks have moved on, time for blacks to move on also. In other words, quit ur bitchin!
In what way did I cry and/or b*tch about slavery??

No one is crying or b**ching about it except people like you who don't ever want anyone to even mention the word "slavery."

Also, like Staysean mentioned, I already spoke about the article you posted as did others.

As posted earlier there are many black historians and sociologist who first studied and wrote about black people owning slaves in America. WEB DuBois and Carter G. Woodson wrote about this over 100 years ago. There are current black historians and anthropologist who currently write about this.

Also, as I have stated numerous times on this forum, there is nothing for black people to "cry" about in regards to slavery. It is an historical fact that it did. Now, when we correct you on the fact that slavery an indentured servitude are not the same thing (in response to you being upset someone mentioned "slavery") or that white coal miners were not slaves and that white people were not slaves in America, then you get all upset and b**chy about it.

You all need to put on your big boy underpants/big girl panties and stop trying to defend historical facts that slavery wasn't a bad thing, that chattel slavery was a horrible occurence in the history of our country, that white people (from indentured servants to coal miners) were not slaves in America and do not share any conditions that black chattel slaves endured; and you need to be proud of the fact, like I am, that our country has evolved ideologically and we do not have these sorts of legalized oppressive systems in place anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:49 AM
 
Location: SGV
24,859 posts, read 9,681,823 times
Reputation: 9737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
But here's the difference......


You don't WANT these whites to have these reenactments, or to fly a Confederate flag, or to honor their ancestors. But you don't want them to ignore the fact that you want to do this for your heritage. See the hypocrisy?


It's not.... "well they do it so we can too" but rather "We have earned the right to do it and you haven't... and it offends me".


You don't get to pick and choose what you want. Your ancestors endured slavery. My ancestors endured poverty, aggression, and the North invading and killing a lot of them because they lived in the South.


Shouldn't that be enough to realize how petty the argument is today? No one avoided some form of suffering. No one. For you to make an attempt to continue it by presenting YOUR version of the "facts" to your kids is not only providing them a huge disservice, you are also PLACING the hurdle in front of them and telling them that they now have to overcome something that otherwise wouldn't have been as large as our generations.


If we all acted like adults, and stopped cherrypicking history and just moved on, we could take away some of the very problems our kids are going to face. We are causing these problems for them out of spite for another race. Compare this to watching two 5 year olds who poke each other with a stick because the other poked them. They don't yet have logic behind them, so they continue the back and forth until both are hurt simply because one wants to get in the last jab.


Why is that so difficult to see? I want my kids to have it better than I did. I am sure you do too, as does anyone else with children. Yet, we can't get out of our own way to give them that opportunity.
The poster you are referencing is the biggest racist on these boards...which is saying a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:51 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,120,233 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Doesn't make it any less valid though, does it?
Still valid except Africans Have Apologized for Slavery, So Why Won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 AM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,120,233 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The poster you are referencing is the biggest racist on these boards...which is saying a lot.
Why because he doesn't back down to what these white right wingers have to say about black people on these boards. You not going to just say what you want and here isn't a rebuttal. It doesn't work like that around here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,436 posts, read 4,089,099 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That is not the same celebrating a flag that white supremacy groups used as a symbol of hate should not be celebrated on this countries soul. Especially someone like Dylan Roof who is seen using the flag. You know the man who shot up those 9 people.


And here is the same tired argument that always gets brought up.


It IS the same. The idea behind the flag was a representation of what many of our ancestors fought and died for. They fought for a whole lot more than slavery (and many didn't fight for slavery period) but you as others have drank the Kool-Aid without understanding all of history. A lot of our ancestors died without fighting in the war in areas where Union soldiers came in and pretty much killed everyone because they were Southerners.


That flag is not a symbol of hate to all who fly it.


The second common thing to do is to try to tie that flag to someone who committed a hate crime as a means to justify your point. But it doesn't work. I seem to recall numerous threads on here where folks say not to judge BLM by the actions of a few outliers. I would say the same thing applies in this instance too. Every race has its nutjobs.


The Black Panther party widely used the red, black, and green (African-American flag) flag as their flag. I think we can both agree that the Black Panther party had some very violent and racist counterparts within its ranks. Does that mean that ALL who fly an African-American flag are violent or racist? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,436 posts, read 4,089,099 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Why because he doesn't back down to what these white right wingers have to say about black people on these boards. You not going to just say what you want and here isn't a rebuttal. It doesn't work like that around here


Pot meet kettle.......




And ditto. No one gets to say what they want without repercussions. That is the beauty of the freedom of speech. You just don't like it when someone gets tired of hearing it and challenges it with fact instead of emotion and personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 12:03 PM
 
Location: SGV
24,859 posts, read 9,681,823 times
Reputation: 9737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Why because he doesn't back down to what these white right wingers have to say about black people on these boards. You not going to just say what you want and here isn't a rebuttal. It doesn't work like that around here
His body of work speaks for itself.

I really never ventured into the "race" threads in here all that much (until recently) but his have been the most prolific in just plain old crazy racism.

I don't even believe in "race" because...well...it's not real. But it amuses the hell out of me.

Maybe cuz only 15% (?) of the pop is considered "black" it stands out more when you see a "black" racist.

The "white" racists on this board are plentiful for sure but since there are so many self-identified "whites" who aren't racist here it doesn't quite kick you in the head like some of our crazy "black" racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top