U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,758,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Then I return to these statement and say that no one HAD to raise cash crops in the south and no one HAD to own slaves, Those seem to be spurious arguments used to excuse the apparent disregard for the reality of slavery?

No matter how you slice it and no matter what time-frame. Slavery was and is an immoral institution that people should not just cast off as if it were no big deal. That is what BO'R was doing and that why people here in this thread arguing that is was not that bad, not that important, and no longer relevant need to take a deep look inside their soul - if they can find it.
Historically slavery was an alternative to the wholesale slaughter of people following a victorious battle or conquest. The losing party would be executed as it is expensive to maintain prisoners. Slavery provided an alternative to wholesale execution as the captured would be sold and proceeds used as a bounty/bonus for the winning army.

It is no big deal if that is how you are raised and accept those values. Humans long considered biological machines alongside draft animals before they were seen as unique as you and I view them.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-06-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 4,456,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You would think we would be well past what took place 200+ years ago, and particularly since there is a Black President. But when you have such deep seated racist feelings, and go out of your way to stir the pot of racial tension, as the Obama's never fail to do ... this is what you get.
Western civilization was the first to abolish slavery, but is the last to move forward from it. Sounds to me.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:38 AM

8,117 posts, read 2,432,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Trump is an AH, I doubt that man meets with any one ...

I have to go get ready for work and I haven't time to spend with the opinion piece, you've selected. However, I am sure it has just enough factual content in it to make it an interesting read ...
Gee whiz Ma'am & thanks for the back handed compliment! Have a cheery day!

& what is AH? That must be some pretty darn complimentary accolades to the wonderful & mighty Mr. T I'm supposing.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,916,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Western civilization was the first to abolish slavery, but is the last to move forward from it. Sounds to me.
If so it is only because black people refuse to move forward. Slavery is not something I have ever been concerned about. When a person is freed you would think they would at least be supporting themselves. My parents started as sharecroppers and ended up with 170 acres of land. Lots of people start with nothing and succeed. However it does require hard work and not waiting on handouts. You see, I have first hand knowledge of what goes on today. Fuss and complain and harp on how your ancestors were slaves.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Default This is how wars get started ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Gee whiz Ma'am & thanks for the back handed compliment! Have a cheery day!

& what is AH? That must be some pretty darn complimentary accolades to the wonderful & mighty Mr. T I'm supposing.
Most people when they read an opinion piece (article) they understand that there will be just enough factual data to make the piece interesting to their audience and increase their readership. My compliment was to the author of the article.

AH (a donkey's ... ) was used as a acronym in conjunction to Trump's overall character image and stands for a word that I can not use on this public board. It is not complimentary in the least.

I hope you have a good one. For me, I owe, so it is off to work I go ... btw ... I do hope to return to that article and separate the author's facts from its fiction. It may prove to be an interesting task as well as a learning experience.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If so it is only because black people refuse to move forward. Slavery is not something I have ever been concerned about. When a person is freed you would think they would at least be supporting themselves. My parents started as sharecroppers and ended up with 170 acres of land. Lots of people start with nothing and succeed. However it does require hard work and not waiting on handouts. You see, I have first hand knowledge of what goes on today. Fuss and complain and harp on how your ancestors were slaves.
My grandmother picked cotton in the cotton fields until her hands bled. Even knowing that I still do not have first hand knowledge of how hard her life was like. I only know that which I have experienced ...

With that said.

People's focus on the past in the western civilizations has been carefully engineered ... When people wake up and realize they are not free yet, then we will have a (shared reality) something to talk about. Until then the past will be our focus.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 665,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We're only physically freed.

What about the other 2/3 (mentally & spiritually)? Neither we nor the spirits of our ancestors can't move forward.

But of course, getting through to people like you is like getting through to a horse with blinders. Your bias is loud.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:04 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,758,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post

What about the other 2/3 (mentally & spiritually)? Neither we nor the spirits of our ancestors can't move forward.

But of course, getting through to people like you is like getting through to a horse with blinders. Your bias is loud.
!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 PM

9,132 posts, read 5,628,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post

Clinging to excuses is what you are doing, and that is a choice you have made. You can stop any time, and make another choice, such as taking personal responsibility for the life you have now, as well as creating the life you desire. If you choose to wait for that life to be delivered to you like a pizza, and continue blaming external forces and circumstances when it never arrives, you'll have no one to blame but the person in the mirror.

While anyone can have their physical freedom taken from them, no one can enslave your mind or spirit without your cooperation.

Stop cooperating.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:28 PM

22,655 posts, read 10,475,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And your s*** smells like roses?
How did you know?

But seriously, when I have done wrong, I have done wrong. No excuses. No "everybody else is doing it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or