U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 AM

8,113 posts, read 2,426,131 times

Advertisements

It's worth noting, personally, I've never mistaken you (Ellis Belle) for "someone who cares" as you entitled one of your replies to me. I think you've made your position perfectly clear.

...“It would be only fair to the reader to say frankly in advance that the attitude of any person toward this story will be distinctly influenced by his theories of the Negro race. If he believes that the Negro in America and in general is an average and ordinary human being, who under given environment develops like other human beings, then he will read this story and judge it by the facts adduced.

If, however, he regards the Negro as a distinctly inferior creation, who can never successfully take part in modern civilization and whose emancipation and enfranchisement were gestures against nature, then he will need something more than the sort of facts that I have set down.

But this latter person, I am not trying to convince. I am simply pointing out these two points of view, so obvious to Americans, and then without further ado, I am assuming the truth of the first. In fine, I am going to tell this story as though Negroes were ordinary human beings, realizing that this attitude will from the first seriously curtail my audience.

W. E. BURGHARDT DU BOIS

Atlanta, December, 1934”

Excerpt From: Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963. “Black reconstruction; an essay toward a history of the part which black folk played in the attempt to reconstruct democracy in America, 1860-1880.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 AM

8,773 posts, read 4,449,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's worth noting, personally, I've never mistaken you (Ellis Belle) for "someone who cares" as you entitled one of your replies to me. I think you've made your position perfectly clear.

...“It would be only fair to the reader to say frankly in advance that the attitude of any person toward this story will be distinctly influenced by his theories of the Negro race. If he believes that the Negro in America and in general is an average and ordinary human being, who under given environment develops like other human beings, then he will read this story and judge it by the facts adduced.

If, however, he regards the Negro as a distinctly inferior creation, who can never successfully take part in modern civilization and whose emancipation and enfranchisement were gestures against nature, then he will need something more than the sort of facts that I have set down.

But this latter person, I am not trying to convince. I am simply pointing out these two points of view, so obvious to Americans, and then without further ado, I am assuming the truth of the first. In fine, I am going to tell this story as though Negroes were ordinary human beings, realizing that this attitude will from the first seriously curtail my audience.

W. E. BURGHARDT DU BOIS

Atlanta, December, 1934”

Excerpt From: Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963. “Black reconstruction; an essay toward a history of the part which black folk played in the attempt to reconstruct democracy in America, 1860-1880.”
I'm not someone who cares, to change another person's mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._E._B._Du_Bois#Religion

I will say this. At one time I inspired to be a journalist. The editor I worked for, told me of a woman that he knew, she wrote for Christian publications and Pent House. Pent House paid more ... just saying.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
"These statements, however, were contradicted by Union survivors, as well as the letter of a Confederate soldier who graphically recounted a massacre. Achilles Clark, a soldier with the 20th Tennessee cavalry, wrote to his sister immediately after the battle:

"The slaughter was awful. Words cannot describe the scene. The poor, deluded, negroes would run up to our men, fall upon their knees, and with uplifted hands scream for mercy, but they were ordered to their feet and then shot down. I, with several others, tried to stop the butchery, and at one time had partially succeeded, but General Forrest ordered them shot down like dogs and the carnage continued. Finally our men became sick of blood and the firing ceased.[37]""

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

This is the same General Forrest who later went on to become the grand wizard of the KKK in TN. If I'm not mistaken there are statues of him throughout the former Confederate Slaver States.
What was it you told me? War is hell?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 AM

8,113 posts, read 2,426,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What was it you told me? War is hell?
War IS hell, & assassinations are not 'honor' killings.

& you were the one saying General Forrest was going to free his slaves.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 AM

625 posts, read 382,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"

On the railroad building they gave the Chinese and Irish the more dangerous jobs as if they were killed they were worthless.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
War IS hell, & assassinations are not 'honor' killings.

& you were the one saying General Forrest was going to free his slaves.
Honor killings, depends on a person's interpretation.

I didn't say General Forrest was going to free his slaves, he said it.

One day people are going to realize, color doesn't matter. If General Forrest was not a man of honor and in the keeping of his word, then he would not be some one I'd listen to either.

Thomas Sowell Facts

Thomas Sowell, Economist and Author | African American Registry

Old 08-11-2016, 09:46 AM

22,580 posts, read 10,449,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

One day people are going to realize, color doesn't matter. ...
Hopefully one day it won't matter. But today it obviously does.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 AM

5,436 posts, read 4,094,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

To whom?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM

21,581 posts, read 11,635,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We were heading there and Obama and the liberals derailed it. No way the Liberals will ever allow that.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 AM

22,580 posts, read 10,449,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
To whom?
Just look at all the people on C-D alone who are involved in threads with racial topics.

Does one party tend to get over 90% of the Black vote?

Does one party tend to get a huge majority of the Latino vote?

Whether we want it to matter, or not, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or