Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The article you don't cite begins:

"In an 1856 letter to his wife Mary Custis Lee, Robert E. Lee called slavery "a moral and political evil." Yet he concluded that black slaves were immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially and physically. ..."

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms
The quote that you cite has nothing to do with what I posted on.

Lee was about retaining the Souths freedoms as a "nation" but he cared little about the freedoms of the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There are varying degrees of slavery. I'm not a fan of any of them.
Golly gee that's great!

I'm gonna 'mute' myself now.

G'night & have a pleasant tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:18 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You had to own at least 20 slaves to be counted among the "Planter Class." Owning 5 or 6 six slaves pretty much looks like what it was, people in most cases buying their family members out of slavery. I have the Franklin book, From Slavery to Freedom, I also have Leon Witlick's book, Been in the Storm too Long. He has transcripts of many letters slaves wrote to one another and the first line in most letters was "can you buy me." One man amassed around $20,000 just to purchase his family out of slavery.
Thanks for the info. Absolutely beautiful. No doubt getting his family back was all that mattered and he did all he could to get them back. Which is still an understatement.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:20 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Everyone's ancestors were slaves if you go back far enough in history. Some are too ignorant to know this or are just propagandists.
Biblical accounts of ancient society, slavery of people goes back 3000 plus years and is a continued practice today. That and killing are two things homo sapiens do well on this planet with no end in sight.

Since humanity has yet to mature into an advance stage of humanitarianism, these futile debates will continue with, no end in sight.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How about focusing on the United States of America? & our own Civil War. Is it trivial?
May not be trivial, but it for damn sure it's getting old.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I come across so many black people in my everyday life that have not a problem with this that it amazes me to see there people that still do.

Over heard two black people a couple of months back. One was male and the other female and the female was making a comment that I heard in passing. She mentioned slavery being a biblical tradition (may not have used the word tradition); said something about being a Christian woman and having an understanding.

The reality of slavery in this world is that there is not a race in this would on any continent that has not had their ancestry enslaved at one point in time or another. That is the reality. Why can't people turn a page?
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. We are talking about what happened in THIS country. Why not focus on that?
To what end? What makes America so special? Is the U.S. unique and/or different than other countries and cultures?

Perhaps if people learned about the accepted practice of slavery and its origins, then there can be an understanding of how it was brought to the U.S. by migrating people of other cultures.

Perhaps if one understood that not all people thought the same way about the people bound by the accepted practice and sought to have them to become members of their family; delegating to them chores as other family members also contributed to chores ... there were those who once acquired freedom felt such a family tie to the members of the household they remained with them rather than leaving.

It seems too that I recall reading about African Americans in this country (from that era) who also possessed individuals who were slaves to work their farms.

There were people on both sides, right and wrong, of this practice. The only thing any of us can ever learn today by continuing this debate of slavery along these lines, is an understanding of just how benevolent people can still be, even after hundreds of years of passing.

The reality of slavery is none of us (who are fortunate today) will ever understand the good, the bad or the ugly of slavery. So again, to what end will these discussion get us?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:01 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
To what end? What makes America so special? Is the U.S. unique and/or different than other countries and cultures?

Perhaps if people learned about the accepted practice of slavery and its origins, then there can be an understanding of how it was brought to the U.S. by migrating people of other cultures.

Perhaps if one understood that not all people thought the same way about the people bound by the accepted practice and sought to have them to become members of their family; delegating to them chores as other family members also contributed to chores ... there were those who once acquired freedom felt such a family tie to the members of the household remained with them rather than leaving.

It seems too that I recall reading about African Americans in this country (from that era) who also possessed individuals who were slaves to work their farms.

There were people on both sides, right and wrong, of this practice. The only thing any of us can ever learn today by continuing this debate of slavery along these lines, is an understanding of just how benevolent people can still be, even after hundreds of years of passing.

The reality of slavery is none of us (who are fortunate today) will ever understand the good, the bad or the ugly of slavery. So again, to what end will these discussion get us?
Derails the argument of the other side so you know it has to be Special about "Our People".

I chalk it up to primitive minds being indoctrinated. No different than earlier societies who embraced an alternative history. We know who they were.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He was trying to diminish the horror of slavery. That's not honest. It was partisanship, because he was trying to play down First Lady Obama's speech.
Yes. Kinda like saying we shouldn't complain about America because we have smartphones and tablets.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's YOUR job. Apparently you don't understand the purpose of teaching.
He's talking about people 17 and 18 years old. They should have had other history teachers before him that taught them something about this.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:48 PM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slaves were treated very well in America. It's well known that slaveowners loved their slaves as if they were their own blood family. They would've never mistreated them.

Sure slaves wanted to be free, but white people knew what was better for black people than black people themselves. Blacks just didn't know how good they had it. Sure, they could beat you and sell away your family (something they did very often), but what's the big deal? Blacks got used to it anyway. Besides, the Bible told them that they were supposed to obey their master's orders.

And who are blacks to go against God, right? I think this is something that we can all agree with.
Lmao, I started reading this and thought WTF??? Then I saw it was you. Had me for a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies