Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I understand the concept of slavery every Friday when I look over my pay stub.

I see all the federal taxes taken out and realize that I cannot prevent this proactive confiscation of my earnings or hold accountable those who use my tax dollars to politically disenfranchise me and others who work for a living.
People consider confiscation of 100% of the fruits of your labor as slavery. Once it gets knocked down to 99% or lower suddenly it is called "taxation".

The collectivists love their illogical mind games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
If you're paying 99% in taxes, you need an accountant.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If you're paying 99% in taxes, you need an accountant.
If someone is confiscating one penny from you at gunpoint you need a prison cell.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 AM

788 posts, read 512,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Most slaveholders were Anglo-Saxons. African American's last names are almost exclusively English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish....with a heavy dose of French thrown in. People with long histories of Christianity in their nations.

No, no, no...don't blame the Koran. American slaveholders made it quite clear that the BIBLE was the inspiration for slavery and that the justification for slavery could be found in that book. And they're absolutely right. Moreover, they brainwashed their slaves with Christianity and used those passages to convince slaves that they actually belonged in slavery under white domination. Slaveholders probably didn't even know what a Koran was. Stop it.

And even during Jim Crow, they found ample justification in the Bible for separate but equal too, and they didn't have to twist the Bible to make it apply either.

Sorry, but the Bible justifies slavery, and does it quite thoroughly.
There you go again, in your ignorance thinking slavery existed only in the USA/colonies. In fact it was a globally-employed institution. You have no idea of the context, and see only what your self-imposed blinders allow you to. Perhaps you can't "handle" the truth (whole).

Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not sure where you're getting the idea that the KKK is a Republican organization. It's not:
Quote:
"In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power. The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan"
Rise of the Ku Klux Klan . U.S. Grant: Warrior . WGBH American Experience | PBS

Furthermore, Democrats are STILL fully engaged in promoting and maintaining racism and segregation. The ongoing NIMBY racism of blue (Democrat) cities/states:

The most segregated schools are in blue states:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...youd-expect-2/

Chicago: America's most segregated city - Jan. 5, 2016

Half of Black students in Maryland attend segregated schools:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...057_story.html

Etc., etc.
I'm going to tell you again to get out of the 1800s and into the 2000s.
Why won't Blacks do that? Why are THEY living in the 1600s-1800s?

Furthermore, the racism and racial segregation links I posted exist in PRESENT DAY blue (Democrat) cities/states. That's racism in the 2000s for you.

Racism was Democrat-driven in the 1600-1800s, and it's STILL Democrat-driven in the 21st century.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they're called fellow Democrats. Democrats are the party of the bigotry of low expectations for Blacks; constantly telling them they can't make it on their own and need Affirmative Action and all kinds of welfare handouts. Destroying their family structure with welfare benefits only given when husbands/fathers are driven out of the home. And people wonder why Blacks have a 72% unwed birth rate... It's due to the Democrats' bigotry of low expectations.
May I share that sentiment to some websites where there are more Blacks than on City-Data for you?
What reason do you think they'll come up with for Blacks' current 72% unwed birth rate, which consequently results in a disproportionately high childhood and adult poverty rate?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The job of a teacher -- and I was one -- is not to teach them what they already know or what is wrong. The job of a teacher is to give them and lead them to knowledge they don't have. If we're talking about selling houses, that's your expertise. If we're talking about teaching and learning, that's mine.
I call BS on that. You're WAY TOO resistant to actual historic and current FACTS. That's not being a teacher, that's being a revisionist propaganda indoctrinator.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yes, ending slavery 150 years ago was huge. And the GOP spent the next 100 years being the only real champion for black rights while Democrats were the party of Jim Crow.

Then 50 years ago, the Democrats were lucky enough to be the party in power when the whole Civil Rights Movement happened, took a massive political risk, betrayed their Dixiecrat members and jumped in and fought for equal rights. Republican response? They reached out to the Dixiecrat racist South quietly welcoming them and their worldviews into the party. There have been racist undertones within the GOP ever since. Then the GOP whines 90% of blacks voting against them.
That's the propaganda story.

Here's the TRUTH about WHO the racists are, today:

Democrats, STILL fully engaged in promoting and maintaining racism and segregation. The ongoing NIMBY racism of blue (Democrat) cities/states:

The most segregated schools are in blue states:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...youd-expect-2/

Chicago: America's most segregated city - Jan. 5, 2016

Half of Black students in Maryland attend segregated schools:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...057_story.html

Etc., etc.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Is that why less than 1% of the delegates to the GOP national convention this year were Black? Less even than 4 years ago?
The Democrats have added "superdelegates" that are not used by the Republican Party. The total of superdelegates equates to about 1/6th of the total delegates in the Democratic nominating process.
Superdelegates are votes for a nominee that are not pledged to a vote by the people. They are, in effect, a trump card for the Democratic Party establishment to control the outcome of an election. In other words, your Democratic Party leaders are not overly concerned with the will of the people if it means they will be kicked off the gravy train. Surprise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
A.) I'm not a Democrat and I'm not black. I'm a white Libertarian. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick R or D, I'd tell you to pull the trigger. But if that's not an option, I'd pick team R.
B.) I already pointed out everything you just said: That the Democrats were the champions of slavery. After slavery was abolished, they were the champions of racism and segregation for the next 100 years.
C.) In the 1960's, the Dems pulled an 180 switched sides. At that point the GOP tried to bring the racist South into their party.
D.) So for the past 50 years, the GOP has had the unfortunate habit being unfriendly towards black America. They really need to knock it off. Guys like Bill O'Reilly claiming "slavery wasn't all that bad" just pisses them off and reinforces the false notion that Republicans are black-hating racists.
E.) Solution: Stop saying crap like that. Be more polite and tactful.
Bill O'Reilly doesn't speak for the Republican party, he happens to be a registered Independent, who voted for President Obama. Most of us don't even listen to him, so if people are basing their opinions by what a few say, then they are looking for the hate. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson say a lot of crap, are we to take their hate and run with it and believe all Dems think this way, I would say, no!

This is the biggest problem most of you ASSUME those on Fox News are Republican when many are not and happen to be registered Democrats or Independent........people really need to stop ASSUMING! So now, should we all rally against Independents and claim they were the ones for slavery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Mohammad, huh?

So, why is it that Slaveholders in America found their inspiration (and justification) from the Bible....a book that clearly allows slavery?

I doubt most slaveholders even knew what a Koran was. Which slaveholding figures from American history ever cited Mohammad as their inspiration for slavery?
Were are your facts on this?

"He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death." (Exodus 21:16)

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible proscribes laws to protect the lives and health of slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

You certainly don't know the Bible or how people could not read it for themselves. Most people were not educated enough to read, let alone had the money to own one.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
There you go again, in your ignorance thinking slavery existed only in the USA/colonies. In fact it was a globally-employed institution. You have no idea of the context, and see only what your self-imposed blinders allow you to. Perhaps you can't "handle" the truth (whole).
I'm not concerned with what happened globally. Only what happened here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The Democrats have added "superdelegates" that are not used by the Republican Party. The total of superdelegates equates to about 1/6th of the total delegates in the Democratic nominating process.
Superdelegates are votes for a nominee that are not pledged to a vote by the people. They are, in effect, a trump card for the Democratic Party establishment to control the outcome of an election. In other words, your Democratic Party leaders are not overly concerned with the will of the people if it means they will be kicked off the gravy train. Surprise!

Bill O'Reilly doesn't speak for the Republican party, he happens to be a registered Independent, who voted for President Obama. Most of us don't even listen to him, so if people are basing their opinions by what a few say, then they are looking for the hate. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson say a lot of crap, are we to take their hate and run with it and believe all Dems think this way, I would say, no!

This is the biggest problem most of you ASSUME those on Fox News are Republican when many are not and happen to be registered Democrats or Independent........people really need to stop ASSUMING! So now, should we all rally against Independents and claim they were the ones for slavery?

Were are your facts on this?

"He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death." (Exodus 21:16)

The idea that God or Christianity encourages or approves of slavery is shown to be false. In fact, anybody who was caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed. However, since voluntary slavery was widely practiced during biblical times, the Bible proscribes laws to protect the lives and health of slaves. Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Christian Philemon to release his Christian slave from his service to "do what is proper". In addition, numerous verses from the New Testament show that God values slaves as much as any free person and is not partial to anyone's standing before other people.

You certainly don't know the Bible or how people could not read it for themselves. Most people were not educated enough to read, let alone had the money to own one.
So you're saying that most southerners were illiterate and stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies