Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times

Advertisements

& I wonder why Abraham Lincoln didn't have to worry about getting the Black vote?

Oh yeah, that was because ... oh dear ... oh nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here again, your data doesn't tell the whole story.

Back in 1975 I began teaching in Prince George's County, Maryland...
LOL at you trying to rebut ACTUAL FACTUAL STATISTICS with a personal anecdote.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:39 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But wasn't the Bible static though?

So people were bigger hypocrites back then?

I don't think so, they just went with what they saw in front of them. They were taught that Africans were inferior and they were doing them a favor by bringing them here and letting them work. The Africans could convert to Christianity and go to heaven so in their minds back then they were saving them, and lining their own pockets at the same time.

Tell me the difference between that and outsourcing manufacturing to poor people in the 3rd world? Have you ever seen their living conditions?

Slavery was a terrible thing, but there have been worse things over the years.

Just feel lucky to be in this country today. I know I do.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:47 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoihdne View Post
Slavery was propagated by Democrats. It was Republicans who lead the fight to free them.
It's amazing how ignorant you are .... Confederate Democrats were for the slave owners, Confederate Republicans were for the working poor... In the early days of the Union, the Union Republican were for the common people, and the Union Democrats were for the wealthy, but the Confederate Democrats took over the Union Republican Party, and their big move became when they converted the Southern Democrats to become Southern Republicans, because Southern Democrats tried their best to carry forth Confederate Democratic policies.
When the Confederate Democrats took over the Republican party, it forced the uniting of union Democrats to become about the people before business.... and what we have today is, the Republican part that puts business before people, as to say business control people, where the Democrats party is set to say it is people who support business and industry and industry and business is to serve people... not for people to be controlled by business and industry.

Study your Political History, but the first thing you need to do is learn what is political ideology, and what role it has played and how it plays its roles to confuse the people with party flips.
maybe you should learn about the 1969 era of Nixon, which was a big turning point for Republican being over come by Confederate Ideological madness. All driven to seek out and find ways to fight against the Equal Rights Act of 1964.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
& I wonder why Abraham Lincoln didn't have to worry about getting the Black vote?

Oh yeah, that was because ... oh dear ... oh nevermind.
How did he get elected?
Abraham Lincoln: Campaigns and Elections

"When the votes were tallied, Lincoln, who was not on the ballot in any southern state, carried all of the North but one state in the popular vote."

<snip>

"The amazing fact about the election of 1864 is that it occurred in the first place. In the middle of a devastating civil war, the United States held its presidential election almost without discussion about any alternatives. No other democratic nation had ever conducted a national election during times of war. And while there was some talk of postponing the election, it was never given serious consideration, even when Lincoln thought that he would lose.

The second noteworthy fact about the election is that Lincoln won with a huge electoral college victory and a substantial popular vote of 55 percent. Up to the very eve of the election, Lincoln was doubtful about his chances, and most of his key advisers had been warning him through the summer of 1864 to expect the worst. Part of the problem stemmed from the growing dissatisfaction within his own party by Radical Republicans, who doubted Lincoln's commitment to ensuring political equality for the formerly enslaved once the war had ended."
________

This has been brought up in conjunction with 2016 elections and Trump.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Yes. Why don't you tell us about your personal knowledge of slavery. I would like to hear that. I am not talking about what was written in a fictional book that caused a national civil war. I am talking about your real personal knowledge.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
How did he get elected?
Abraham Lincoln: Campaigns and Elections

"When the votes were tallied, Lincoln, who was not on the ballot in any southern state, carried all of the North but one state in the popular vote."

<snip>

"The amazing fact about the election of 1864 is that it occurred in the first place. In the middle of a devastating civil war, the United States held its presidential election almost without discussion about any alternatives. No other democratic nation had ever conducted a national election during times of war. And while there was some talk of postponing the election, it was never given serious consideration, even when Lincoln thought that he would lose.

The second noteworthy fact about the election is that Lincoln won with a huge electoral college victory and a substantial popular vote of 55 percent. Up to the very eve of the election, Lincoln was doubtful about his chances, and most of his key advisers had been warning him through the summer of 1864 to expect the worst. Part of the problem stemmed from the growing dissatisfaction within his own party by Radical Republicans, who doubted Lincoln's commitment to ensuring political equality for the formerly enslaved once the war had ended."
________

This has been brought up in conjunction with 2016 elections and Trump.
I wonder if Mr. Trump has met with any of the folks he has fiercely disrespected?

President Lincoln was certainly interested in what Mr. Douglass had to say:

Quote:
...Upon arriving at the White House, Douglass found “the stairway was crowded with applicants … and as I was the only dark spot among them, I expected to have to wait at least half a day.” But within two minutes he was ushered into the president’s office, where he found Lincoln seated “in a low armchair with his feet extended on the floor, surrounded by a large number of documents and several busy secretaries.” Lincoln immediately put his visitor at ease. “I know who you are, Mr. Douglass; Mr. Seward has told me all about you,” the president said. “Sit down. I am glad to see you." ...
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...s-met-lincoln/

Old 08-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes. Why don't you tell us about your personal knowledge of slavery. I would like to hear that. I am not talking about what was written in a fictional book that caused a national civil war. I am talking about your real personal knowledge.
I'm sure there are people today that have the diaries and letters of their ancestors and through them they have a clearer understanding. More than likely they look at what has been written about the cause of the national civil war and go, ha! What little do they know.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I wonder if Mr. Trump has met with any of the folks he has fiercely disrespected?

President Lincoln was certainly interested in what Mr. Douglass had to say:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...s-met-lincoln/
Trump is an AH, I doubt that man meets with any one ...

I have to go get ready for work and I haven't time to spend with the opinion piece, you've selected. However, I am sure it has just enough factual content in it to make it an interesting read ...

Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 AM

15,088 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
You'd think that we'd be at a point where trying to downplay slavery would be career ending or at least horribly frowned upon by EVERYONE, but alas, we are not at the point yet. Ignore the fact that they weren't free, were owned by others, and were treated as sub-human as a result; they had food and shelter, they should have been thankful!

It's funny that in attempting to casually brush off slavery as not so bad, he inadvertently kind of defends undocumented immigrants by observing that once it wasn't considered unethical to come to the US without official citizenship so long as you contributed to society and took care of yourself.

First it was "white people created civilization"

Now it's "being a slave wasn't so bad"

What will they think of next..
You would think we would be well past what took place 200+ years ago, and particularly since there is a Black President. But when you have such deep seated racist feelings, and go out of your way to stir the pot of racial tension, as the Obama's never fail to do ... this is what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies