Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,418,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The point was that time marches on and whites don't honor their enslaved ancestors and probably haven't for hundreds of years. There will likely come a day when blacks couldn't care less about their enslaved ancestors.
I think you might be slightly off the mark with this as there are any number of celebratory dates to commemorate the throwing off the yoke of subservience by white Americans.

Ask any American how they viewed their governance by the Royalty of the U.K. and with what disdain they regularly refer to other countries still affiliated in some manner to the U.K. They will be very quick to inform you that they consider themselves to have thrown off the chains of being a slave to Britain; those other countries citizens are mere chattels of a foreign queen in a very disparaging manner.

There is no deficit of those 'still expressed opinions' right here on these very boards.

You can't have it both ways; continue to celebrate the freedom you gained but admonish others to forget their past history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,164,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What in the world could this passage mean?"

if you have to ask, you probably DON'T understand the issue.

MANY people CONSTANTLY go on and on on hard BAD the slaves had it.

No ONE is denying many slaves had it bad.

MANY slaves did NOT have it so bad.

All he is doing is pointing out that not ALL slaves had it as bad as some keep saying.
yanno what, there are people coming here working from other countries, all to thankful to work for such cheap wages, with no medical benefits, no vacations, no paid holidays, no pensions....

I'm sick and tired of hearing about slavery....there are all kinds of slavery going on right now....
and corporations are getting rich off them....so, lets move on....

I'm with you...

except, I think some slaves, more then some were treated very badly and there is still biased racism going on today, but, I believe its more from the blacks then whites...

it's time to move on and get it together, we all have to join in and work together to change....

change will only come from taking repsonsiblity....and then changing, and it takes time and years...of hard work.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:33 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,418,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What in the world could this passage mean?"

if you have to ask, you probably DON'T understand the issue.

MANY people CONSTANTLY go on and on on hard BAD the slaves had it.

No ONE is denying many slaves had it bad.

MANY slaves did NOT have it so bad.

All he is doing is pointing out that not ALL slaves had it as bad as some keep saying.
All he's pointing out is the wrong headedness of his ilk in attempting to assign various degrees of repugnance towards slavery of any kind and if he's actually stupid enough to think in that manner then we should not expect him to enjoy celebrating the revolutionary period in America's history because after all, it was just over a bit of penurious taxation.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:33 AM

26,323 posts, read 14,928,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slaves were treated very well in America.
Wooah

Black slaves generally speaking were treated better than slaves in Brazil or Caribbean sugar plantations where they were literally worked to death. Only 4% of slaves came to what would become British North America and yet we had the largest single population of blacks in the Americas.

However, slavery was evil and slavery always mistreats slaves as it goes against their unalienable rights.

Here is a slave Gordon who escaped into Union lines and they discovered these scars on his back during his physical examination (many runaways had disease and couldn't be let in to live and work along side soldiers so they all got examinations).

Old 07-27-2016, 06:34 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Just as ridiculous as when people argue that there's nothing wrong with taxation because "you get something back". Somehow that makes it okay to take what belongs to someone else by force...
Very valid point. I've frequently said taxation is slavery; levied MUCH more heavily on some than others. For example, the top 0.1% must perform tax slave labor for 35.7% of the year while that percentage is MUCH lower for the bottom 99%. Even the required tax slavery of the top 95-99% is only 23.8%, more than ten percentage points lower (which is more than a month's less tax slave time, comparatively):

Data source: Tax Policy Center, T13-0174 - Average Effective Federal Tax Rates by Filing Status; by Expanded Cash Income Percentile, 2014 | Tax Policy Center

Permission to share: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._component.gif

Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM

14,648 posts, read 14,560,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno what, there are people coming here working from other countries, all to thankful to work for such cheap wages, with no medical benefits, no vacations, no paid holidays, no pensions....

I'm sick and tired of hearing about slavery....there are all kinds of slavery going on right now....
and corporations are getting rich off them....so, lets move on....

I'm with you...

except, I think some slaves, more then some were treated very badly and there is still biased racism going on today, but, I believe its more from the blacks then whites...

it's time to move on and get it together, we all have to join in and work together to change....

change will only come from taking repsonsiblity....and then changing, and it takes time and years...of hard work.
In all honesty, what you think is reality doesn't make it so. Taking responsibility goes both ways, and those who brutalized blacks in this country never took responsibility for their actions, and now try to flip that responsibility on the victims.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:39 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,356,786 times
Slavwry is not reverent today and I myself have no concept of it today because it hasn't been in action for 150 years , they is actually nothing I can do about it, one says we must teach our youth about history and not let them forget about it, which I agree with but since it's comes up in every conversation, you are not teaching history but teaching hate. The subject of hate the white is all that being done, it the BLM concept, it not equal anything.

I guess the black mummify want all white to go back to Europe and leave everything laying for the black to consume then they will have to fight the native Americans and the Latino for what's left.

As I white I can't help you , they is absolutely nothing I can do about something that happen 150 years ago, my family did not arrive till 1959

Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,669,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
The root of this is the assumption that life in Africa is and was a fate worse than hell. Hence, many Americans subconsciously see slavery as, overall, a NET GAIN or improvement for blacks, because it removed blacks from the horrors of an African existence.

What people do not realize is that blacks have been living in Africa.....since human life began and before any other "race" of people existed. Black people would have went the route of the Neanderthals if they were as bad off as people think. There is no way they would have survived as long as they have.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 AM

14,465 posts, read 11,238,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
No, no one thinks that. Get a grip!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,541,140 times
O'Reilly is an arse. Never liked him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies