Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
He explained what he said, as if he had to. People who didn't watch were willing to jump on saying stuff he didn't say.!
I don't think he was pro slavery. But he crossed line by saying "slaves were well fed." Should have not said that. What is the point? Do I think Bill O'Reilly is a fair and balanced journalist, yes I do and I still do. But he crossed line right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM

89,015 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, Blacks are doing better now than ever.
Um... NO.

Wealth inequality has widened along racial, ethnic lines | Pew Research Center

Thanks, Obama and Obama Admin.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the conditions that the Democrats have put black people into today. Bad housing, bad family structure and no economic hope. This after the Democrats have them Jim Crow laws.

The only question I have is how long will black people be the Democrats suckers?
Forever, because the Dems control the welfare Teat.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the conditions that the Democrats have put black people into today. Bad housing, bad family structure and no economic hope. This after the Democrats have them Jim Crow laws.

The only question I have is how long will black people be the Democrats suckers?
Like green_mariner said, black people are actually doing pretty well today.

I am black and I have a great house (which I own outright and don't even have a mortgage). I am married and have a wonderful family. I make well over the median income of my area and I have a net worth greater than that of most white families.

You are basing your views on the minority of the black population. A majority of black Americans are middle class or above and we are rising educationally and in entrepreneurship. Contrary to what you believe, "Democrats" haven't done anything negative to us and the this fact that is well known to black middle class professionals is the reason why we - the black middle class primarily continue to vote for them over the GOP. We don't get any "free stuff" from Dems like you think however we get stereotypes based on the worst of our demographic by conservatives/GOP.

Contrary to what many whites and conservatives think of black Americans, we are not primarily "ghetto." IMO we are actually primarily "bourgoisie" in our attitudes. My grandmother called it "saditty" or having "airs about yourself." We have high standards for ourselves and our children and we basically keep moving forward and striving and getting better, yet you and many conservatives and the GOP seem to keep the image of us from 1970/1980 stuck in your brains and believe we are all some sort of ghetto, uneducated, crime ridden, inferior group who never do anything right. Because I am "saditty" I roll my eyes at you lol.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:51 AM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because of something Bill O'Reilly said. Maybe it's because Bill O'Reilly is trying to downplay the horrors of slavery. Ever thought of that?

No one is asking anything of you, except this. Admit that Bill O'Reilly is wrong. Why do you think this is about you?
OK, whatever it was he said, and I neither know, nor care, was wrong.

Good, now that we have that out of the way, we can end this endless excuse-making and start making some progress.

We DO want progress, don't we?

We do want to leave the past behind us and focus on the future, don't we?

We do want economic prosperity and civil liberties for all, don't we?

Don't we?

Or do some want something else, perpetual pot-stirring and race-baiting and excuse making.

There is not one major race that doesn't have slavery in its past. It was Universal, so move on. Mankind neither needs it, nor practices it (well in the civilized countries, anyway) any longer, so give it up and move on.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Like green_mariner said, black people are actually doing pretty well today.

I am black and I have a great house (which I own outright and don't even have a mortgage). I am married and have a wonderful family. I make well over the median income of my area and I have a net worth greater than that of most white families.

You are basing your views on the minority of the black population. A majority of black Americans are middle class or above and we are rising educationally and in entrepreneurship. Contrary to what you believe, "Democrats" haven't done anything negative to us and the this fact that is well known to black middle class professionals is the reason why we - the black middle class primarily continue to vote for them over the GOP. We don't get any "free stuff" from Dems like you think however we get stereotypes based on the worst of our demographic by conservatives/GOP.

Contrary to what many whites and conservatives think of black Americans, we are not primarily "ghetto." IMO we are actually primarily "bourgoisie" in our attitudes. My grandmother called it "saditty" or having "airs about yourself." We have high standards for ourselves and our children and we basically keep moving forward and striving and getting better, yet you and many conservatives and the GOP seem to keep the image of us from 1970/1980 stuck in your brains and believe we are all some sort of ghetto, uneducated, crime ridden, inferior group who never do anything right. Because I am "saditty" I roll my eyes at you lol.
No, actually as a conservative I keep the image stuck in my brain of blacks who run around the city of Philly shooting other black gang bangers....

I have plenty of black friends who are extremely successful....

however, your wrong about Dems, dems were responsible for slavery...

Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, actually as a conservative I keep the image stuck in my brain of blacks who run around the city of Philly shooting other black gang bangers....

I have plenty of black friends who are extremely successful....

however, your wrong about Dems, dems were responsible for slavery...
LOL on the bold. Democrats were not around when chattel slavery was introduced in our country in the late 1600s/early 1700s so they are not "responsible" for slavery...

And please note that I don't believe all conservatives hold negative views of black Americans and I also believe that many liberals hold negative views of black Americans as well, but on these forums it is usually the conservative posters, like the one I quoted who want to tell me as a black person how bad I'm doing and that my supposed lowly status in life is due to voting for Democrats when I am doing fine in life and I don't know hardly any black people who fit the narrative of having a "bad housing, bad family structure, and no economic hope" of which that poster mentioned. I honestly don't know any black people who fit that narrative at all.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because of something Bill O'Reilly said. Maybe it's because Bill O'Reilly is trying to downplay the horrors of slavery. Ever thought of that?

No one is asking anything of you, except this. Admit that Bill O'Reilly is wrong. Why do you think this is about you?

You have to understand, its always about "them"..... always will be. Its the old cognitive dissonance thing and the whole "get over it already" mentality is only going to increase as time passes, so I don't know why people even bother.

But any intellectually honest person would be able to see and understand that there are lingering effects from slavery up until this current day and beyond. The destruction of the black family and the historical economic disadvantages that black people have faced as a result of slavery, jim crow, etc. will continue well beyond our lifetimes. All of these lingering factors create the issues you see in the black community. These societal ills do not just disappear over night, or 150 years, or 300 years. These are generational issues that will continue on because even though slavery was abolished... it never really went anywhere. Its just more covert and undercover now and has been perfected. Its a game of economics and classism now. The haves and the have not's, with race still in the mix. The sucky part for blacks is that we are still playing catch up on the economic end while still trying to overcome the wounds of the past (family structure, psychological & emotional). We're basically doing double time or triple the work while being attacked on all fronts (externally & internally).

People love to associate the issues in the black community to being cultural, when really its economics. I don't care what race of people or country... If you look back to the beginning of time, there were always those who were disadvantaged economically and another group who benefited from those disadvantaged. Murders and crime do not begin and end with American black people but some would have you to believe this. Especially those that find us inferior or a cancer to society because it fits their narrative.

Ironically, the ones telling blacks to get over it are the same group of people who are history buffs, re-enact civil wars, celebrate a country's independence day, celebrate Memorial day or yell out "never forget" when it comes to those who have served and lost their lives due to acts of war and what not. The same ones. Its funny actually.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wealth inequality is explicably tied to housing values. Your article is about how the net worth of black families is lower than that of white and hispanic families due to the recent recession having a drastic affect on reducing the values of people's homes.

Obama did not cause the housing market collaspe.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wealth inequality is explicably tied to housing values. Your article is about how the net worth of black families is lower than that of white and hispanic families due to the recent recession having a drastic affect on reducing the values of people's homes.

Obama did not cause the housing market collaspe.
And it brings me to this. One's home value can be tied to race. Blacks, on the occasion that they owned homes, have always had lower housing values than Whites. That can play a factor in net wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies