Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,883,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
History is yesterday. You can't change yesterday. You have little control over tomorrow. You need to focus on today.
The Dems can't do this! If they did, they would have no platform and their supporters would drop off like dead flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,756,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This thread is not about Duke, so move on!

More about who supported slavery in the past and who promotes slavery to government today! Voting for Hillary is wanting more government power in our lives and the same dull road of Democrat BS!
This was a direct rebuttal to one of YOUR posts.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM

50,318 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
No one cares about slavery, as it ended 151 years ago and is not relevant to anyone alive today.
You're absolutely right. Which explains why there are a continual stream of threads that delve into the topic.

And yes, no one cares. Which is why you're in a thread about slavery making posts.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The point was that time marches on and whites don't honor their enslaved ancestors and probably haven't for hundreds of years. There will likely come a day when blacks couldn't care less about their enslaved ancestors.
But Whites right on this forum honor their rebel dead and excuse the KKK.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with slavery? Or are you on to another agenda?

I did read the article, you go back and read it......it had nothing to do with being rejected by banks, purchasing a home, it was about not paying taxes to the IRS and a unsecure contract made between a black man and a private seller, who sold him out. Banks were not involved in any of it and nothing about discrimination. White people and black people lost their farms back then and still do today, nothing about banks taking from them, most the time they lost the means to pay the mortgage payment.
Umm...dude you were the one who made the comment below to me. What sort of "agenda" would I have or do you think I have . My response of which you quoted in this post was in a direct response to the one below:

Quote:
If you would read your own advice......it has nothing to do with blacks not qualifying for a loan. It has to do with accessible cash on hand, job income or qualify for a loan.

Most people don't have these means. For you to talk and act like this is some easy thing to do, all one needs is cash, makes me wonder if you understand renting, buying in low income areas versus buying in a clean neighborhood. Most people are not contractors or construction workers for fixer upper homes.

I rented a house out that I owed and the renters destroyed it beyond my finances to fix it. The insurance company only paid so much out. This was reported and made me a high risk homeowner. The insurance companies put a high tag on home insurance and they would not allow me to carry renters insurance, in the end I lost the house, you can't rent out without insurance. The home was for sale and I could not sell the house with all the damage and I lived out of state.

Plus, you seem to not be addressing the upkeep on the house, property taxes, homeowners insurance and renters insurance......its a lot more than just a mortgage payment. Most fixer uppers are not what poor people can afford, they need to be able to do the repairs.

Kind of false information.......like your Atlantic article.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
Quote:
I did read the article, you go back and read it......it had nothing to do with being rejected by banks, purchasing a home, it was about not paying taxes to the IRS and a unsecure contract made between a black man and a private seller, who sold him out. Banks were not involved in any of it and nothing about discrimination. White people and black people lost their farms back then and still do today, nothing about banks taking from them, most the time they lost the means to pay the mortgage payment.
On this, you evidently did not read the article.

It was about the FHA program and redlining and how banks actually did reject black potential home owners. Black people were not allowed to get traditional mortgages or any government back mortgages, even those who were veterans were not allowed due to systematic racism against black people.

The neighborhoods that black people lived in were "redlined" meaning they were highlighted in red and labeled by the FHA (our federal government) as locations that the government would not back mortgages. The redlined neighborhoods were deemed "undesirable" and stagnated in value in comparison to those that were not redlined. Neighborhoods with a high amount of "undesirable" residents, which was usually black residents, were redlined and devalued. As a result black people's homes today are still devalued in majority black neighborhoods. Lower housing values means that black people have less wealth, which means that housing discrimination of the past still has a lingering affect on the net worth of black families.

Again, read the article. I knew you didn't read it and your paragraph above is proof that you didn't because it actually does discuss how black people were denied mortgages in banks.

Just so you won't have to read too much, from the article I posted (FYI, Clyde Ross is a black man):

Quote:
Ross had tried to get a legitimate mortgage in another neighborhood, but was told by a loan officer that there was no financing available. The truth was that there was no financing for people like Clyde Ross. From the 1930s through the 1960s, black people across the country were largely cut out of the legitimate home-mortgage market through means both legal and extralegal. Chicago whites employed every measure, from “restrictive covenants†to bombings, to keep their neighborhoods segregated.

Their efforts were buttressed by the federal government. In 1934, Congress created the Federal Housing Administration. The FHA insured private mortgages, causing a drop in interest rates and a decline in the size of the down payment required to buy a house. But an insured mortgage was not a possibility for Clyde Ross. The FHA had adopted a system of maps that rated neighborhoods according to their perceived stability. On the maps, green areas, rated “A,†indicated “in demand†neighborhoods that, as one appraiser put it, lacked “a single foreigner or Negro.†These neighborhoods were considered excellent prospects for insurance. Neighborhoods where black people lived were rated “D†and were usually considered ineligible for FHA backing. They were colored in red. Neither the percentage of black people living there nor their social class mattered. Black people were viewed as a contagion. Redlining went beyond FHA-backed loans and spread to the entire mortgage industry, which was already rife with racism, excluding black people from most legitimate means of obtaining a mortgage.
bold added by me.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How is this different than coal miners that were only paid in script that had to be redeemed in a "company store"?? Those people were treated like slaves.
Those coal miners CHOSE to go to work there.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM

88,650 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
David Duke said:

"voting against Donald Trump at this point, is really treason to your heritage," and he urged his audience to volunteer to work on Trump's campaign.

It's a direct quote. And evidently you choose to ignore it.

David Duke: Voting against Donald Trump is 'treason to your heritage' - POLITICO
And Samir Shabazz, who advocates killing Whites and their children, used a weapon to illegally intimidate voters in Philly.

Does that mean Obama also advocates killing Whites and their children? Be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3Cd9gnvlw

Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoihdne View Post
Slavery was propagated by Democrats. It was Republicans who lead the fight to free them.
Fortunately, most Blacks understand that the parties have totally reversed roles in civil rights for at least the past half century. Unfortunately, you don't. And if there's any question in your mind about what the parties stand for, less than 1% of the delegates at this year's Republican convention were Black.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 PM

88,650 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But Whites right on this forum honor their rebel dead and excuse the KKK.
The KKK were Dems.

Democrat Senator Byrd ring a bell?

And this...
Quote:
"In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power. The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan"
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...cle/grant-kkk/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies