Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 12:16 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the conditions that the Democrats have put black people into today. Bad housing, bad family structure and no economic hope. This after the Democrats have them Jim Crow laws.

The only question I have is how long will black people be the Democrats suckers?
Probably as long as they continue hearing stuff like you guys are posting in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:33 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think it's necessary to excuse the KKK. While I think their opinions and goals are reprehensible, they are fully entitled to exercise their freedom of speech. And honoring one's ancestors, regardless of which side they were on during the Civil War, is more than acceptable.
I not only agree the opinions & goals of the KKK, the Racial 'Realists' & Racial Supremacists, et al are reprehensible; they're ridiculous. They bring ridicule upon themselves by their irrational & ludicrous expressions of speech. It's a natural consequence or outcome of who they are, what they say & do & is completely unsurprising.

Honoring one's ancestors does not include honoring their mistakes. Honoring their mistakes diminishes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The act of owning another person is indecent.
I not only agree the notion of owning human beings as property is indecent, it's reprehensible, dishonorable, ridiculous, & indefensible. One of our biggest & gravest mistakes.

Honoring or loyalty to one's ancestors does not include honoring mistakes.

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 07-30-2016 at 01:42 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post

Dude...SERIOUSLY?????

Please tell me you are a troll, because you CAN'T be serious.....
Unfortunately, some of these folks appear to be very serious. I get you, some of it sounds insane & is.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
You judge people of that era by standards of this era. In law that is call Ex Post Facto, is illegal and immoral, and paints you thoroughly as such. And remember slavery was a world-wide institution, practiced as much by one race as another - a fact you and your HATE can't get your head around. Mankind could not have advanced without it.
In literary and historical analysis, it's called 'presentism'.

Quote:
... The practice of presentism is regarded by some as a common fallacy in historical writing.

...The historian David Hackett Fischer identifies presentism as a fallacy also known as the "fallacy of nunc pro tunc". He has written that the "classic example" of presentism was the so-called "Whig history", in which certain eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British historians wrote history in a way that used the past to validate their own political beliefs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pres...rical_analysis)

Consider the various ways that justifying, defending or minimizing race based slavery in US History can be used to validate present day political beliefs. It's not pretty.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The only reason to kill someone is defending property or defending anothers life. I have no problem with what John Brown did.
Why, besides the fact that Mr. Brown was executed, was the movement to end race based slavery unsuccessful?

Lysander Spooner also had a plan:
To the Non-Slaveholders of the South: A Plan for the Abolition of Slavery (1858)

Lysander Spooner – Plan for the Abolition of Slavery

Why did his plan fail as well?

That would've been the 'libertarian' way, right?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The first paragraph is a lie.
No, it is not. The first legal slave owner in the American Colonies was indeed a Black man: Anthony Johnson.

Quote:
"Slavery was brought to North America in 1654, when Anthony Johnson, in Northampton County, convinced the court that he was entitled to the lifetime services of John Casor, a Black man. This was the first judicial approval of life servitude, except as punishment for a crime."
Slavery in North America 1654-June 19, 1865?, MLK - Wesleyan University

Old 07-30-2016, 07:09 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Stop trying to deflect the issue. No one is denying that slavery existed in the world in different times of history before the trans-Atlantic slavery of Africans to America. The reality of slavery in America is that generation after generation were so tortured, terrorized, amd psychologically traumatized by White supremacy during slavery and the treatment afterwards until the 1970's that it's effects have been passed on to the descendants who are still trying to process and work through these painful feelings and emotions in 2016. That's how bad it was. Please stop trying to deflect the issue.
Perhaps it would have been better if Black Africans had NOT captured, enslaved and sold other African Blacks into the Atlantic slave trade for their own profit, no?

NO Black Africans captured and sold by other African Blacks into the Atlantic slave trade = NO Black slavery in North America

That's what should have happened, but Blacks betrayed their own race for personal gain and profit LONG before the first Black slave even existed in North America.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We practically decimated the american indians who were here before us. And we brought slaves here to serve us. And you say to them to make a life for yourself. Honestly, I think they had a life before we did this to them. But we made their life hell and it's still going on. So yeah, I think it's our job to help them.
This is history are you saying they should just sit and do nothing? Many people would be extinct if everyone thought like you and figured this is my life so I will sit here and be poor. Sorry, I come from a family that had hard knocks in life, we chose to move on......including some of my Native American family, they claim it I don't......I am one of those Spanish people, but many think I am Irish! Labels are not what Americans need, labeling people only makes them think that is their life.

You need to get out on the reservation and start helping, what are you doing to make their lives better, if you feel responsible?

I am coming to the conclusion this is nothing about slavery, one black person on here has assets of $200,000, and another has owned 5 BMW's and claimed someone didn't have enough money for them to hang out with. So, slavery is not their issue, holding Americans hostage to their ideology is.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
People brought from another country for the sole reason of serving is slavery. They were beaten, starved and did whatever their masters wanted. Not sure how you can compare that to anything else.
Yup, and blacks owned half of the slaves.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Probably as long as they continue hearing stuff like you guys are posting in this thread.
Can't take the truth that the democrats birthed the KKK and Jim Crow laws and fought for years to keep them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies