Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Can't take the truth that the democrats birthed the KKK and Jim Crow laws and fought for years to keep them?
And Dems STILL have their defacto Jim Crow laws, to this very day...
Welcome to the ongoing NIMBY racism of the blue cities/states:

The most segregated schools are in blue states:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...youd-expect-2/

Chicago: America's most segregated city - Jan. 5, 2016

Half of Black students in Maryland attend segregated schools:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...057_story.html

Etc., etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slave owners can't be good people by definition. They were all evil. They should've all been executed during and after the war. Their families too.

And baptizing slaves into Christianity might be the worst of all the evils they did. That alone makes slave owners worthy of a painful death.
Of course those black and white slave owners were evil.. the elites don't think the commoners are worth anything to begin with.. Bill for instance raped other women and got away with it.. above the law is what they know.. the elites could own slaves, beat them, lynch them and kill them.. they got away with murder.

They killed not only black slaves but white slaves as well. It is a sick world.

The dixiecrats stayed democrats .. the fallacy is most people think that the conservative democrats were Republicans.. no they were democrats who wanted slavery to remain.. thus called conservative.. the liberal democrats were for change.. to abolish slavery.. it had nothing to do with the Republican party.. the party of Lincoln. Lincoln was a Republican against slavery and when he was shot, his democratic VP was for slavery. Democrats birthed the KKK and the Jim Crow laws and fought to keep them.

The Republicans were for abolishing slavery. The democrats really led blacks down a path of lies. They were so guilty they have to lie and still do it today.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"
none of us were alive during the slave days, nor do we even have relatives alive so how can any of us really know what life was like? believe it or not, some slaves might have been happy with there lives? Was it fair, humane, etc? Probably not, but they did have certain advantages. Yes, they did have food and shelter. Some were happy with that. the difference then and now might have to do with "then" they were given food and shelter but they worked for it. Today many are given food and shelter without working for it.

Please don't get me wrong: of course slavery was wrong, of course Africa sold the least desirables to our country, and we took advantage of them, but it wasn't all bad.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:33 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Default I have a career

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you live by reservations?

I do and I know for a fact some are off the reservation and live very productive lives if they want to. Many stay because they feel ties to it, many leave knowing the world is a big place and they to can be a part of it. I know of some horse ranches owned by Indians they are far from being poor. I am not saying all Indians are doing well, but its like saying ALL blacks live in the ghetto. Many Native Americans & blacks work for the government and will receive pensions, something most of us don't get.

Make a life for yourself it is not my job or anyone elses to make your life better. Heck, DD complains and he has owned 5 BMW's, but still finds time to whine about the past.......wonder what he is doing to make the world a better place, instead of blaming America and driving RICH cars.
You went from trying to create a divisive issue between Native Americans and Blacks, which I rightfully called you out on, to saying it's not your job to make my life better. As if you were asked to do so. Please put away your "god" complex and stop rambling and making random statements that have nothing to do with the post you're responding to.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
A nice comparo thread to this one would be "Are there really people in America who have no concept of the reality of life in the 1600s to early-mid 1800s? Of course to include all levels of society. The period for slavery in North America which later became the USA.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-30-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is history are you saying they should just sit and do nothing? Many people would be extinct if everyone thought like you and figured this is my life so I will sit here and be poor. Sorry, I come from a family that had hard knocks in life, we chose to move on......including some of my Native American family, they claim it I don't......I am one of those Spanish people, but many think I am Irish! Labels are not what Americans need, labeling people only makes them think that is their life.

You need to get out on the reservation and start helping, what are you doing to make their lives better, if you feel responsible?

I am coming to the conclusion this is nothing about slavery, one black person on here has assets of $200,000, and another has owned 5 BMW's and claimed someone didn't have enough money for them to hang out with. So, slavery is not their issue, holding Americans hostage to their ideology is.
I don't know how productive it is to compare the way these 2 groups of peoples were treated (abused)?

& I believe the Constitution of a Country describes intent. The US Constitution's language describes Native American peoples as people from a Sovereign Country. This same Constitution describes people of African descent to be 'counted' as 3/5.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
There are people in America who have no concept of the 70s.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are people in America who have no concept of the 70s.
Agreed. History is not irrelevant & the 1970s is certainly not ancient history.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I don't know how productive it is to compare the way these 2 groups of peoples were treated (abused)?

& I believe the Constitution of a Country describes intent. The US Constitution's language describes Native American peoples as people from a Sovereign Country. This same Constitution describes people of African descent to be 'counted' as 3/5.
Intent in the 1790s.

And we are in 2016. So much has changed in human thinking since then it may as well be another planet.

I have never seen the link between attitudes toward slavery then as a rational for alleged attitudes now.

Frankly it is ridiculous.

A near present example I can see in my own family, my aged mother, her beliefs and manner of thinking, and I am nothing like her.

Would you compare today's Germans to have any remnant of Nazism? Of course not. Well except for those on the margin of their society.

Do you see those living in our West having any remnant of frontier notions towards Indians? Of course not.

Do you see Americans in general having any of the anti-Japanese sentiment created post-Pearl Harbor? Of course not.

The ill will created is in my view solely based on actions or words we see, hear everyday in our newscasts or encounters in everyday life. Those we find abhorrent, bizarre and simply beyond any moral, logical code we operate by. This value assessment is not limited to blacks. Part of our own unique IFF.

Etc.etc.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-30-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 11:05 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The slaves did not build the White House. They took part in it. The men who designed it and did the skilled labor built it.
Slaves did design work and skilled labor as well as unskilled labor. That's the primary reason free whites in the north were opposed to slavery being extended to the new western states. Slavery devalued all labor and would shut free white men out of opportunity in the west. They understood that.

The only people who did not then--and still don't--understand the score are poor, uneducated whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies