Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Anything to whitewash history. Its a waste of time to argue this point with those that think of you as subhuman .
I don't see anyone saying this. It's those of you who are insisting the people today are responsible for the past. How do you justify this? Many have said their family had NO involvement. Yet, we are called liars and deniers of slavery we are not denying it, we are saying we had no involvement!

If you were subhuman, I don't think the leading woman of rich would be Oprah and the millionaires who play sports.....where is their money going to help the children to get ahead in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 05:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bull****! There have been both empty souled and righteous people throughout history. Speak ONLY for yourself as you dump your own soul onto the trash heap.
You have no idea how you would act in a similar situation. Not one idea. To believe so is to lie about the human condition.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You have no idea how you would act in a similar situation. Not one idea. To believe so is to lie about the human condition.
I may not have certainty (but certainly an idea) about how I personally would act, but humanity as a whole - even in the 1600's to the mid-1800's has proven that not all it's members belong on a dung heap.

If your posit was correct, then everyone living would have been scrambling for a set of slaves to own during the settling of the south - which we all know is NOT the fact. If only 4 percent of southerners owned slaves while other farmers worked without and even went broke in the effort - then that leaves only you and a few of your soulless brethren on that heap.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I may not have certainty (but certainly an idea) about how I personally would act, but humanity as a whole - even in the 1600's to the mid-1800's has proven that not all it's members belong on a dung heap.

If your posit was correct, then everyone living would have been scrambling for a set of slaves to own during the settling of the south - which we all know is NOT the fact. If only 4 percent of southerners owned slaves while other farmers worked without and even went broke in the effort then that leaves only you and a few of your soulless brethren on that heap.
You clearly did not read what I wrote. If you raised cash crops you had slaves.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:01 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
How many of us would turn away using slaves if we had to raise cash crops in the 1700s. Considering what life was like-none of us would refuse.
& How many would volunteer to be slaves knowing how difficult it was to raise cash crops in the 1700s?

Considering ...

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
& How many would volunteer to be slaves knowing how difficult it was to raise cash crops in the 1700s?

Considering ...
The benefit of slavery vs paid labor is apparent.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
You clearly did not read what I wrote. If you raised cash crops you had slaves.
Edit:

I do not believe that to be true. 100% of [remove plantations] farms did not employ slaves. Most of them didn't. And plantations were not the only enterprises raising "cash crops." I also would say that there are alternatives to entering into a business where you have to sell your soul.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-05-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I do not believe that to be true. I also would say that there are alternatives to entering into a business where you have to sell your soul.
No doubt. We do not know where we would have landed back then. Slave, master, tradesman, etc.etc.

Interesting to know how many slave owners in the ante-bellum period voluntarily gave up slavery in the form of freeing their slaves. Not selling them to empty their inventory.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's a terrible deal.

For both of us really.
Alright, how about this deal. Explain (defend/rationalize/justify, etc.) why Ron Paul wouldn’t have voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act because it was unfair to property owners?

Ron Paul Suggests We'd Be 'Better Off' Without The Civil Rights Act | ThinkProgress

Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
The benefit of slavery vs paid labor is apparent.
Would you volunteer to be a slave in that scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies