U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall In View Post
5. America's racial tensions will never abate...
Yeah, they will, when the last generation born into apartheid and taught that segregation is the norm is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 PM

22,438 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Are people like u concerned? If so wont u go into the neighborhoods and do something about it If ur so concerned. What I hate is white phony concern and outrage
Best: Whites along with the rest of our nation who do try to actually solve racial problems.
Better: Whites along with the rest of our nation who at least support candidates who actually try to work on solving racial issues.
Good: Whites along with the rest of our nation who are concerned.
Worst: Republicans who don't give a ****.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:54 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,474,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Police fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people in 2015 | The Washington Post
No, it is not "OK" to kill more whites because there are more of them. But your numbers just don't support your outrage. Blacks make up about 13% of the US population, and you said "more than twice as many white were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. That would put the numbers at 67% white and 33% black, assuming those two categories included 100% of deaths (they don't). Only 13% of the population, but 33% of the deaths... and that's OK with you?
Need more information. 33% more of the death in terms of overall population, true. That doesn't show us a number of other pieces of information which might allow is to more precisely identify the nature of the problem.

* Which percentage of overall police contacts nationwide are black versus white?

* Which percentage of police contacts for each race occur in largely black areas? In largely white areas?

* Which percentage of police contacts for each race occur in high crime areas? Or in low crime areas?

* Is there a correlation between high crime areas and police shooting frequency?

* Which percentage of police contacts for each race occur during the day? During the night?

* Is there a correlation between nighttime encounters and shooting frequency?

* What is the percentage of blacks and of whites who were shot who carried a weapon?

* A firearm? Other weapons?

* A weapon that the officer knew about? Didn't know about? Again, break these down by race.

* What percentage of shooting victims by police were respectful and followed the officers orders?

Face it. There are many factors that might influence these numbers, perhaps heavily, but those factors are not being accounted for. I am by no means defending police shootings in any way, but all situations and behaviors are not equal. That applies regardless of race. In my opinion, those need to be factored in.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think it "OK" with anyone.
What is wrong is that the death is always blamed on the cops, in spite of the fact that in almost every case the cop has been exonerated.

And who most often exonerates the police? The police.

Gee, that works well.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't disagree with any group that spreads their word peacefully...
So you disagree with the Boston Tea Party? All the other acts that led to our nation's founding?

Good to know about you.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM

9,608 posts, read 9,837,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I did a little research and found that more than twice as many whites were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. More than twice!
I am unmoved by your obvious passion. There are six to seven times more white people than black. If whites are getting killed at only 2x the rate of blacks it says to me that there is a real problem on the black side!!! Interesting that you would wind up on the other side of that equation. Hmmm. And, no, you did not hear about each and every shooting of a black person. Every 28 hours a black man gets killed by police. Tell me, in the oh.. I don't know... 700 hours since Philando Castille was killed, who else do you know about? There have been a few since then. If white people were being shot to death while on the ground, in the back, while unarmed, etc. and etc., you can bet your bottom dollar there would indeed be MSM coverage of new incidents, and the white community's outrage would go viral. It is because black men are being shot and killed in egregiously vicious and unwarranted circumstances that has brought about the current scrutiny of police culture. Take it up with the police not us. They may listen to you.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM

599 posts, read 309,243 times
I was also under the impression that President Barack Obama would have greatly improved race relations due to the fact that he is the first African American to hold the office of the U.S. President and boy were we wrong! I would say that race relations haven't been this bad since the 1960's and if Hillary Clinton wins I fear they will only get worse. I have many ideas on how to improve race relations in this country though sadly many of them will probably never be implemented.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 17 days ago)

5,480 posts, read 3,214,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
President Obama IS 'at the heart of it', because the heart of the matter is that he is Black and the racist filth in this country cannot accept it. BYE!
Anne Dunham his mother was white there bud so Barry is a White man inside covered by a chocolate coating outside and totally full of s#!t!
Obama the Great Divider...

Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,497,239 times
I can't think of a single thing the president has done to improve race relations... but he has said a lot of things that imply that race issues are worse than they probably are... stoking the divide. Not helpful.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
When you say "the Cambridge", I have not the first damn clue what you're talking about. The Cambridge who? The Cambridge what? We have no idea! If you really want to know what created the downhill slide, you'll have to look much further back. White people thinking it was ok to buy Black people, is what created the downhill slide. Everything starts there. I know, I know. "Black people were selling their own first!!!111 LOL"

So that makes it ok. If a Black guy straps himself to a fridge and jumps out of a plane, will you follow? No? Well why not? A Black guy did it first!!

Right. It was a BLM protest march. For Black people. Don't like how they do things? Don't participate.
Complaining about it is petty. It's not about you, and it's not about white people.
Don't be so flippant. I left the word "incident" out after Cambridge but by opening the link it would have been evident. Guess that was too tough for you.

So it was ok that the lady was ordering white people to the back of the line? Right. Racist much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies