U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
 
164 posts, read 115,763 times
Reputation: 524

Advertisements

i had hopes that having a "black" president would have shown the world that we, as a whole, aren't racist. That if you work hard and do what you're supposed to do, that you can even hold the most esteemed job in the world, regardless of your color. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. His pandering and the liberal media playing along have really, IMO, damaged race relations to levels I have never seen.
I did a little research and found that more than twice as many whites were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. More than twice! I never heard of more than a couple. But I heard every single time a black person was killed. Yes, I am aware that the black population is much lower than whites but that does not mean that it's ok to kill more whites because there are more of them.
Anyway, race relations are worse now than ever before, IMO, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
i had hopes that having a "black" president would have shown the world that we, as a whole, aren't racist. That if you work hard and do what you're supposed to do, that you can even hold the most esteemed job in the world, regardless of your color. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. His pandering and the liberal media playing along have really, IMO, damaged race relations to levels I have never seen.
I did a little research and found that more than twice as many whites were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. More than twice! I never heard of more than a couple. But I heard every single time a black person was killed. Yes, I am aware that the black population is much lower than whites but that does not mean that it's ok to kill more whites because there are more of them.
Anyway, race relations are worse now than ever before, IMO, what do you think?


I don't think the president can impact race relations. People interacting on an individual level impact race relations. I do think race relations seem worse than they are now because of the leap in technology since 2007 (before Obama took office) and the present day.

Before Obama took office, there was social media, but majority of the population wasn't on it. Twitter hadn't become what it is today, facebook had way less functiionality than it has now. And smart phones weren't something the average consumer had.

Fast forward to now, youtube is a massive platform, as well as many many other streaming sites. Every phone can take HD video, and they're cheap. Everyone has 4G mobile connections. Everyone can stream from their own cell phone.

So we're seeing a lot more of the world. Every little fight in the ghetto somewhere or in a trailer park gets uploaded to social media in a matter of minutes. We just see more than we've ever been able to see in the past.

Obama (as much as I think his presidency sucked) can't really be blamed for racial relations. I can't see anyone responding to the proliferation of tech, instant videos, and "connectedness" we have today any better. New flow faster than we can even process it, and everyone can share news globally. So it's a problem no president has ever really had to deal with.

I can't say Romney or McCain could have responded any better. They probably would just ignore it. If anything Obama sucks because he has used tragedy to futher his anti-gun agenda, and has done it so shamelessly.


I do think people are individually getting along much better. My girlfriend's best friend is getting married to a white guy (I'm black, and her friend is black) and we visited his family in Niagra falls. A probably 99% white suburb. And she was well accepted by the guy's family, and his family treated us like part of the family. 20-30 years ago, this sittuations would have been incredibly awkward for me, my girlfriend and her friend. But today people are accepting people of other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Cape Cod
11,847 posts, read 8,251,936 times
Reputation: 20364
Racism has and always will be around but today it is highly profiled and if anyone says anything against a brown person they are labelled a racist. That is what happened to Trump when he called for building the wall along the border to prevent illegal aliens from strolling into America. They are breaking the law by doing so and stopping them is common sense NOT Racism.

If a white cop shoots a black thug, no matter the situation it is automatically racism even though the thug was beating on the cop.

I also thought that when Obama was elected he was going to serve as an example to every young black kid out there that if you are smart and work hard you too can rise to great heights in American society BUT.... From what we have seen it is way cooler for these kids to trash their neighborhoods, riot, destroy public and private property and fight with the Police.
The BLM movement started as something good but has evolved into a pseudo terrorist group and Obama still listens to them when he should be condemning their violent actions.


IN general people see others with a different skin tone as just other people. I give everyone the same amount of respect up to the point where they screw it up. I think most people feel like this and can get along just fine.
The media is not helping when it shows black thugs burning cop cars and beating up on people. These antics are doing nothing to stop the negative stereotype profiles and now they are killing cops.

I say race relations are boiling over now when it was simply on the back burner simmering. I believe that Obama is at the heart of it. Police shoot a black youth and the world is outraged and marches. A black youth shoots another black youth and it is just another day in the black community. WHY ?
Black Lives Matter. ALL LIVES MATTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas/SF Peninsula/South Lake Tahoe
2,049 posts, read 1,332,576 times
Reputation: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I say race relations are boiling over now when it was simply on the back burner simmering. I believe that Obama is at the heart of it. Police shoot a black youth and the world is outraged and marches. A black youth shoots another black youth and it is just another day in the black community. WHY ?
Black Lives Matter. ALL LIVES MATTER.
Unexplainable and mostly true. It's quite sad when black on black shootings disappear into the night like thief. No discovery, no outrage . . . Simply another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,794 posts, read 3,897,925 times
Reputation: 4307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
i had hopes that having a "black" president would have shown the world that we, as a whole, aren't racist. That if you work hard and do what you're supposed to do, that you can even hold the most esteemed job in the world, regardless of your color. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. His pandering and the liberal media playing along have really, IMO, damaged race relations to levels I have never seen.
No... just... no. To start with, I'm a conservative, I did not vote for our current president, and I'm not a fan of many of his policies. But I'm also a stickler for the TRUTH, and the part in bold is just blatantly wrong. I follow news sites with biases on both sides, and there is absolutely no question that any race problems regarding our current president is directly caused by the blatant racism in the extremist wings of the conservative media. Racist cartoons, names, calling him a Muslim, porch monkey, etc., to just flat-out calling him "that affirmative action ni**er in the White House".

Not saying that the liberal wing of the media isn't guilty of racism, but that side doesn't even come close to approaching the bile spewed by "my" side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I did a little research and found that more than twice as many whites were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. More than twice! I never heard of more than a couple. But I heard every single time a black person was killed. Yes, I am aware that the black population is much lower than whites but that does not mean that it's ok to kill more whites because there are more of them.
Anyway, race relations are worse now than ever before, IMO, what do you think?
Police fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people in 2015 | The Washington Post
No, it is not "OK" to kill more whites because there are more of them. But your numbers just don't support your outrage. Blacks make up about 13% of the US population, and you said "more than twice as many white were killed by police in 2015 than blacks. That would put the numbers at 67% white and 33% black, assuming those two categories included 100% of deaths (they don't). Only 13% of the population, but 33% of the deaths... and that's OK with you?

Another trick of the numbers... when you look at the people killed after brandishing a weapon or even shooting someone else, the majority is white. But in cases where someone was shot by police who was unarmed or not being threatening, 60% of them are black or Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 PM
 
429 posts, read 376,213 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Unexplainable and mostly true. It's quite sad when black on black shootings disappear into the night like thief. No discovery, no outrage . . . Simply another day.
Are people like u concerned? If so wont u go into the neighborhoods and do something about it If ur so concerned. What I hate is white phony concern and outrage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM
 
429 posts, read 376,213 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Racism has and always will be around but today it is highly profiled and if anyone says anything against a brown person they are labelled a racist. That is what happened to Trump when he called for building the wall along the border to prevent illegal aliens from strolling into America. They are breaking the law by doing so and stopping them is common sense NOT Racism.

If a white cop shoots a black thug, no matter the situation it is automatically racism even though the thug was beating on the cop.

I also thought that when Obama was elected he was going to serve as an example to every young black kid out there that if you are smart and work hard you too can rise to great heights in American society BUT.... From what we have seen it is way cooler for these kids to trash their neighborhoods, riot, destroy public and private property and fight with the Police.
The BLM movement started as something good but has evolved into a pseudo terrorist group and Obama still listens to them when he should be condemning their violent actions.


IN general people see others with a different skin tone as just other people. I give everyone the same amount of respect up to the point where they screw it up. I think most people feel like this and can get along just fine.
The media is not helping when it shows black thugs burning cop cars and beating up on people. These antics are doing nothing to stop the negative stereotype profiles and now they are killing cops.

I say race relations are boiling over now when it was simply on the back burner simmering. I believe that Obama is at the heart of it. Police shoot a black youth and the world is outraged and marches. A black youth shoots another black youth and it is just another day in the black community. WHY ?
Black Lives Matter. ALL LIVES MATTER.
So do u disagree with Blue lives matter? White people are clueless...the issues isn't black Americans, its you! Lol the idea of blaming the historical victims of racism as the problem and not those carrying out the act is white ignorance. BLM isn't saying anything knew, this has been an issue for Black Americans since forever before social media and fancy hashtags. I'm tired of white deflection...blacks arent the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 2,317,205 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Racism has and always will be around but today it is highly profiled and if anyone says anything against a brown person they are labelled a racist. That is what happened to Trump when he called for building the wall along the border to prevent illegal aliens from strolling into America. They are breaking the law by doing so and stopping them is common sense NOT Racism.

If a white cop shoots a black thug, no matter the situation it is automatically racism even though the thug was beating on the cop.

I also thought that when Obama was elected he was going to serve as an example to every young black kid out there that if you are smart and work hard you too can rise to great heights in American society BUT.... From what we have seen it is way cooler for these kids to trash their neighborhoods, riot, destroy public and private property and fight with the Police.
The BLM movement started as something good but has evolved into a pseudo terrorist group and Obama still listens to them when he should be condemning their violent actions.


IN general people see others with a different skin tone as just other people. I give everyone the same amount of respect up to the point where they screw it up. I think most people feel like this and can get along just fine.
The media is not helping when it shows black thugs burning cop cars and beating up on people. These antics are doing nothing to stop the negative stereotype profiles and now they are killing cops.

I say race relations are boiling over now when it was simply on the back burner simmering. I believe that Obama is at the heart of it. Police shoot a black youth and the world is outraged and marches. A black youth shoots another black youth and it is just another day in the black community. WHY ?
Black Lives Matter. ALL LIVES MATTER.
President Obama IS 'at the heart of it', because the heart of the matter is that he is Black and the racist filth in this country cannot accept it. BYE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,585 posts, read 10,894,416 times
Reputation: 5608
Of course things are worse under Obama. In my opinion the below incident created the downhill slide. Saying the Cambridge acted "stupidly" when he admittedly did not have all the facts was moronic at minimum and started what has worsened in this country with the white officers against the black males. I certainly believe he has set us back years and with the extremists BLM happening now it will be sometime before we recover, if we ever do. Just go to youtube and search for the BLM lady telling the whites they had to get to the back of the line at the DNC.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_...st_controversy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Anderson, IN
4,345 posts, read 1,357,096 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Of course things are worse under Obama. In my opinion the below incident created the downhill slide. Saying the Cambridge acted "stupidly" when he admittedly did not have all the facts was moronic at minimum and started what has worsened in this country with the white officers against the black males.
When you say "the Cambridge", I have not the first damn clue what you're talking about. The Cambridge who? The Cambridge what? We have no idea! If you really want to know what created the downhill slide, you'll have to look much further back. White people thinking it was ok to buy Black people, is what created the downhill slide. Everything starts there. I know, I know. "Black people were selling their own first!!!111 LOL"

So that makes it ok. If a Black guy straps himself to a fridge and jumps out of a plane, will you follow? No? Well why not? A Black guy did it first!!

Quote:
Just go to youtube and search for the BLM lady telling the whites they had to get to the back of the line at the DNC.
Right. It was a BLM protest march. For Black people. Don't like how they do things? Don't participate.
Complaining about it is petty. It's not about you, and it's not about white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top