U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,344,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Quite correct. But a certain segment of the population will shriek racism whenever the word black is used. Especially the (B)owe(L) (M)ovement idiots.
And a certain segment of the population are such racists that they deny that racism exists even as they spew it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 AM

20,305 posts, read 12,156,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I know it's not up to me, however, just because it's up to the employer still doesn't make it right. Nothing this individual did was illegal and unless she's had some prior issues/warnings at work, firing her over this is complete B.S.

i worked in a bank 20 years -- you sign a media thing you will not bring any bad light on the bank by any action--or words- - plain and simple-- you agree and get the job-or walk on--
one reason I come to the forums. its anonymous with a avatar name-
BUT even then, I watch my words in certain areas,,, I need my job

Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM

8,878 posts, read 7,989,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
As have I.

Since you think that I have failed to understand the 'issue' ... please help me out and tell me just what the 'issue' is.

El Nox

There is no issue, from what I can see. People do things that damage their employers' reputations and get fired for it every day.

What's the problem with that? If she thinks she was wrongfully terminated, she's free to sue, just like any other citizen.

You tell me what the "issue" is, because it is obviously NOT a violation of free speech.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Unless she was jailed for her dumb statements, this simply isn't a freedom of speech issue.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 AM

4,411 posts, read 2,991,103 times
I won't encourage the firing of people for comments on social media...but companies have a right to protect their image, and her just being dumb enough to state what she mentioned on social media shows another undesirable quality.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 AM

15,489 posts, read 7,908,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm a manager in IT. Yes, I know that the proportion of "irresponsible, lazy, violent etc" among blacks is bigger than among Asians or Indians.
Yet, if a black guy will show in an interview/resume/references that he is better from the other applicants, he will get an offer. And personally, if he came from the hoods, I will respect him for doing this long and hard way.
You basically admitted that you negatively stereotype black people based on less than 1% of the black population and the stereotypes you mentioned (especially irresponsible and lazy) aren't even backed up by supposed statistics. In regards to violence, less than 1% of black people commit any violent crime in the country on an annual basis. Yet you think that Asians and Indians are "better" than black people.

Interesting...

Old 07-29-2016, 10:08 AM

20,881 posts, read 10,103,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I know it's not up to me, however, just because it's up to the employer still doesn't make it right. Nothing this individual did was illegal and unless she's had some prior issues/warnings at work, firing her over this is complete B.S.
You're not in management or you would know that an employee doesn't have to be doing something illegal in order to be fired, doesn't need issues and warnings if the act is bad enough to be immediately fired, and in most states employees can be fired 'at will', which means the relationship with an employer can be terminated for any reason.

If an employee does something to put their employer in a bad light, or to put into question their ability to treat all people they serve equally and with fairness, they're done.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,359,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
i worked in a bank 20 years -- you sign a media thing you will not bring any bad light on the bank by any action--or words- - plain and simple-- you agree and get the job-or walk on--
one reason I come to the forums. its anonymous with a avatar name-
BUT even then, I watch my words in certain areas,,, I need my job
Exactly. I put on my profile "Works at a bank" and don't say which one. Even then, I'm careful what I say. For two reasons:

- I just don't want to say rude things. I think you should show the same manners online that you do IRL. I'm old fashioned that way.

- It wouldn't be hard for people to figure out where I work. For this reason, I purposely became FB friends with a few SVPs at my work. This makes me pause before every post. "What will Mr SVP think of this?" That way I know I will never end up like one of these poor people.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 AM

20,305 posts, read 12,156,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Exactly. I put on my profile "Works at a bank" and don't say which one. Even then, I'm careful what I say. For two reasons:

- I just don't want to say rude things. I think you should show the same manners online that you do IRL. I'm old fashioned that way.

- It wouldn't be hard for people to figure out where I work. For this reason, I purposely became FB friends with a few SVPs at my work. This makes me pause before every post. "What will Mr SVP think of this?" That way I know I will never end up like one of these poor people.

no one but family or friends know where I work-I do not post so much info-- for many reasons - as I said - but we give too much info now your phone numbers are on FB then people post thier kids faces with them -- brrrr too much INFO

Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM

492 posts, read 864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You basically admitted that you negatively stereotype black people based on less than 1% of the black population and the stereotypes you mentioned (especially irresponsible and lazy) aren't even backed up by supposed statistics. In regards to violence, less than 1% of black people commit any violent crime in the country on an annual basis. Yet you think that Asians and Indians are "better" than black people.

Interesting...

Very interesting.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:06 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,123,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Bad remarks, but I never think someone should be fired for something said outside of the workplace.
Would you want someone like that working for you or around you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies