U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,973,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....I wonder what the job titles are of the MANY people on these forums who see blacks as irresponsible, lazy, violent, dumb, etc.......and feel statistics support these views. How can a black person get a fair shake by people like that?

That said......I guess because the twitter racist gets compliments for being "handsome" that she feels she can call Michele "ugly".
No telling how many of them work with blacks or manage blacks with these views if only some of them knew. Maybe that's why they hide behind the Internet it's a safe place to express how they really feel about the people they work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:32 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,425,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're not in management or you would know that an employee doesn't have to be doing something illegal in order to be fired, doesn't need issues and warnings if the act is bad enough to be immediately fired, and in most states employees can be fired 'at will', which means the relationship with an employer can be terminated for any reason.

If an employee does something to put their employer in a bad light, or to put into question their ability to treat all people they serve equally and with fairness, they're done.

I'm actually in Senior Management. I have an MBA and work for a Fortune 100 company. Anyway, I do agree that the company may indeed take those steps. However, it's pretty disconcerting when the public complains about jobs and such and then roots for a person to lose theirs over something they did that was stupid. It's not the government that is taking away free speech, it's us citizens that are doing it with our faux-outrage over something so trivial and stupid.

That said, if I was tasked with making the decision on firing this person or not, I would first put her on administrative leave and investigate if she denied loans more frequently to minorities. If the investigation found that she unfairly denied loans to minorities, then I fire her immediately and reopen those cases and reach out to those individuals who were mistreated and offer them a better loan than the one they may have now. If she didn't deny loans to minorities, then I would GIVE HER AN OPPORTUNITY to get her job back by working elsewhere within the company for a certain period. While doing that, I would encourage her to volunteer somewhere to help the community. Give her a chance to prove that she's not a racist (unless she really is) and help out people who need it. It's really a win-win.

Admittedly, it's just easier for the company to fire her and that's just sad.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 22 hours ago)

17,391 posts, read 8,555,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm actually in Senior Management. I have an MBA and work for a Fortune 100 company. Anyway, I do agree that the company may indeed take those steps. However, it's pretty disconcerting when the public complains about jobs and such and then roots for a person to lose theirs over something they did that was stupid. It's not the government that is taking away free speech, it's us citizens that are doing it with our faux-outrage over something so trivial and stupid.

That said, if I was tasked with making the decision on firing this person or not, I would first put her on administrative leave and investigate if she denied loans more frequently to minorities. If the investigation found that she unfairly denied loans to minorities, then I fire her immediately and reopen those cases and reach out to those individuals who were mistreated and offer them a better loan than the one they may have now. If she didn't deny loans to minorities, then I would GIVE HER AN OPPORTUNITY to get her job back by working elsewhere within the company for a certain period. While doing that, I would encourage her to volunteer somewhere to help the community. Give her a chance to prove that she's not a racist (unless she really is) and help out people who need it. It's really a win-win.

Admittedly, it's just easier for the company to fire her and that's just sad.

It's shocking to me that you're in Senior Mgmt, have your MBA and work for an F100 after expressing surprise that someone was terminated and hadn't done anything illegal. Wow.

You also fail to realize that common sense plays a big part in this scenario.

But if you ever own your own company you can go through all the iterations you like with regards to your employees.

Hopefully you've taken enough accounting and business classes to eventually see that one employee who is offensive, lacks common sense, and puts your company in a bad light by raising questions about objectivity in working with the public, resulting in potentially losing much business, isn't worth the amount of time and effort you say you'd put into her, in your fairy tale example.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
What I say outside of my work environment is my business no matter what it is. No employer or government should be able to force conformance on what I say or think.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:55 PM

19,848 posts, read 10,559,203 times
Inform on your friends and neighbors for speaking out against the oppressive regime.

What does this remind you of?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:55 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,492,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What I say outside of my work environment is my business no matter what it is. No employer or government should be able to force conformance on what I say or think.
Force conformance? Nah. But actions have consequences. It's the consequences that folks of having trouble with.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:58 PM

19,848 posts, read 10,559,203 times
Does anyone think a person should lose their livelihood because they say something stupid in public?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,492,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Does anyone think a person should lose their livelihood because they say something stupid in public?
Sure. Actions have consequences.

This lady was a mortgage loan officer, not a good look for her company.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 AM

23,830 posts, read 10,013,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A$ long a$ you are productive and your action$ don't co$t them anything.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,384,340 times
Laws revolving around social media are just now forming. We will see a day when employers are not allowed to judge an employee based upon social media. Not even allowed to look at social media. It isn't a public space, it is your private space. Only those you invite inside are allowed to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies