U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 01:57 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,124,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
There is no issue, from what I can see. People do things that damage their employers' reputations and get fired for it every day.
Your opinion noted.

Quote:
What's the problem with that? If she thinks she was wrongfully terminated, she's free to sue, just like any other citizen.
True.

Quote:
You tell me what the "issue" is, because it is obviously NOT a violation of free speech.
NO. I asked YOU the question. You (for the third time) have told me what it is NOT. And now to again dodge the question, you try to turn the table (aka obfuscation). Appears as if YOU have no answer.

Quote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
True ... but it fails to answer the question.

Quote:
Unless she was jailed for her dumb statements, this simply isn't a freedom of speech issue.
There is a job waiting for you at the dim spin machine factory. You keep repeating the same tripe and fail to answer the question ... WHAT IS THE ISSUE.

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:54 AM

8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Your opinion noted.

True.

NO. I asked YOU the question. You (for the third time) have told me what it is NOT. And now to again dodge the question, you try to turn the table (aka obfuscation). Appears as if YOU have no answer.

There is a job waiting for you at the dim spin machine factory. You keep repeating the same tripe and fail to answer the question ... WHAT IS THE ISSUE.

El Nox

I answered it in the very first sentence you quoted!

There is no issue. I'm not obfuscating or dodging anything. She screwed up, she got fired for it. Again, it happens every day. Why is THIS firing a problem for you? Please don't say "free speech".

Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM

10,218 posts, read 6,804,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Your opinion noted.

True.

El Nox
The issue is she said something on Facebook that makes the company looks bad. A mortgage company doesn't need that type of negative publicity as non-whites who were denied a loan could become litigious.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 PM

20,834 posts, read 10,088,104 times
Haven't I stated the issue more than once, both here and in the thread about the confederate flag?

The issue is, it puts into question the ability for this person to be objective, equal and fair when serving clients of color.

When she used the word black, she brought race into it. If the bank does nothing, after it was brought to their attention, then the story becomes not what she said, but that they supported employing someone who appears to be racist.

And then the media gets hold of that story and the next thing you know there are people protesting, or moving their accounts, etc.

BIG lack of common sense on her part, by the way. It's no secret that things you post can get back to your employer. They spent time teaching my kids this in college. Apparently she's savvy enough to be on social media but not smart enough to know that.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Haven't I stated the issue more than once, both here and in the thread about the confederate flag?

The issue is, it puts into question the ability for this person to be objective, equal and fair when serving clients of color.

When she used the word black, she brought race into it. If the bank does nothing, after it was brought to their attention, then the story becomes not what she said, but that they supported employing someone who appears to be racist.

And then the media gets hold of that story and the next thing you know there are people protesting, or moving their accounts, etc.

BIG lack of common sense on her part, by the way. It's no secret that things you post can get back to your employer. They spent time teaching my kids this in college. Apparently she's savvy enough to be on social media but not smart enough to know that.
This. They don't get it because either they are part of the issue or are blind.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 PM

50,762 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm actually in Senior Management. I have an MBA and work for a Fortune 100 company. Anyway, I do agree that the company may indeed take those steps. However, it's pretty disconcerting when the public complains about jobs and such and then roots for a person to lose theirs over something they did that was stupid. It's not the government that is taking away free speech, it's us citizens that are doing it with our faux-outrage over something so trivial and stupid.

That said, if I was tasked with making the decision on firing this person or not, I would first put her on administrative leave and investigate if she denied loans more frequently to minorities. If the investigation found that she unfairly denied loans to minorities, then I fire her immediately and reopen those cases and reach out to those individuals who were mistreated and offer them a better loan than the one they may have now. If she didn't deny loans to minorities, then I would GIVE HER AN OPPORTUNITY to get her job back by working elsewhere within the company for a certain period. While doing that, I would encourage her to volunteer somewhere to help the community. Give her a chance to prove that she's not a racist (unless she really is) and help out people who need it. It's really a win-win.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think this action made far more sense than just outright firing her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Inform on your friends and neighbors for speaking out against the oppressive regime.

What does this remind you of?
My god man, she's only the first lady. Come on.

Oppressive regime? Are you oppressed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What I say outside of my work environment is my business no matter what it is. No employer or government should be able to force conformance on what I say or think.
In general, i agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Does anyone think a person should lose their livelihood because they say something stupid in public?
LOL...come on. This is getting ridiculous. Think about what you're asking here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Laws revolving around social media are just now forming. We will see a day when employers are not allowed to judge an employee based upon social media. Not even allowed to look at social media. It isn't a public space, it is your private space. Only those you invite inside are allowed to see it.
Social media isn't private. Not by a long shot.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:08 PM

34,707 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Where's the ACLU?

Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Where's the ACLU?
Ask them.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 PM

24,897 posts, read 9,697,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Where's the ACLU?
Ugly people and women unite!

(The "blacks" are covered in this one)

Old 07-30-2016, 05:49 PM

26,777 posts, read 11,241,401 times
I love it. Thieves get caught. Bigots out in the open. Drunken rants. Always best to know what one is dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies