U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,542,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not up to you, it is up to the employer.
I know it's not up to me, however, just because it's up to the employer still doesn't make it right. Nothing this individual did was illegal and unless she's had some prior issues/warnings at work, firing her over this is complete B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,191,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....I wonder what the job titles are of the MANY people on these forums who see blacks as irresponsible, lazy, violent, dumb, etc.......and feel statistics support these views. How can a black person get a fair shake by people like that?

That said......I guess because the twitter racist gets compliments for being "handsome" that she feels she can call Michele "ugly".
I'm a manager in IT. Yes, I know that the proportion of "irresponsible, lazy, violent etc" among blacks is bigger than among Asians or Indians.
Yet, if a black guy will show in an interview/resume/references that he is better from the other applicants, he will get an offer. And personally, if he came from the hoods, I will respect him for doing this long and hard way.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM

254 posts, read 147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If only Michelle Obama lost her job as a result of things she said.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,121,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
A private employer fired an employee who made a stupid comment.
So the private employer doesn't believe in free speech either. I think you are missing the point here ... the woman made a racist comment ... does this apply to ALL racist comments? I have yet to see a BLM person fired for their comments. Is this because none have jobs or is this because racism is a white only disease? Or possibly because black words are sacred and protected ... kinda like white folks to the back of the line?

El Nox

Old 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM

8,768 posts, read 7,960,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I know it's not up to me, however, just because it's up to the employer still doesn't make it right. Nothing this individual did was illegal and unless she's had some prior issues/warnings at work, firing her over this is complete B.S.

Do you have to do something illegal in order to be fired from your job? I certainly don't.

If you cause your employer significant damage to the company's image, why should he/she not be able to fire you?

Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

8,768 posts, read 7,960,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
So the private employer doesn't believe in free speech either....

This.

Is.

Not.

A.

Freedom.

Of.

Speech.

Issue.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM

50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomanno View Post
If only Michelle Obama lost her job as a result of things she said.
She's currently unemployed, genius.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,998,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I basically agree with you overall.

But seriously, you can't be in a position of loan officer at a well known local bank, and post something like this under your real name on a public forum.

Think about it...imagine if you're a black person and she's the one who processed your rejected loan application. Then you see THIS on social media with her big face in the photo.

Not good if you're her boss.
They're before our time but; FB's kinda like a party line telephone cause people can "listen" and NOT say a word till much later. I don't post much stuff about either Hillary OR Trump on my FB page; too, I almost NEVER post up "race" stuff cause there's good and bad in all races of people.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 AM

50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
She's a loan officer, not a teller. Loan officers are the representatives of the main function of a bank. You can't have them on social media with their face next to their names making borderline racist statements. It's that simple.

She got fired for a reason. That reason is that she got caught, and the bank doesn't want their executive staff doing dumb s*** publicly.

That said, i may not have fired her, but i certainly would've reassigned her to a lower profile position.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,121,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This.

Is.

Not.

A.

Freedom.

Of.

Speech.

Issue.
Well, apparently you refuse to try to answer a question, so I'll try again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
As have I.

Since you think that I have failed to understand the 'issue' ... please help me out and tell me just what the 'issue' is.

El Nox
Just what is the issue?

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies