Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I don't understand why Americans are so obsessed with speech. I watched RNC and DNC, and most speeches radicalize the opponent, cherry pick their own experience, and make emotional, illogical assumptions. If such a person does that in my real life, I would refuse to be his friend.

I found the best colleagues of mine (in terms of job performance) do not talk much and usually do not impose their idea on others. American culture lets big mouths take advantage of others and values verbal skill way too much.

Stop trashing American culture.

There are plenty of countries, full of oppressed people, with dictators deciding that they've said or done "way too much" of one thing or another. Thankfully, this isn't and will never be one of them.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,041,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I watch a lot of the history channel and many times they talk about how Hitler. One thing they talk about is how Hitler would start his speech off slower then go into a frenzy. I hear Obama talking on TV downstairs and he reminded me of the Hitler frenzy style of giving a speech.
Interesting that you would compare Obama to Hitler in style of giving speeches, yet you don't compare Trump to Mussolini even though Trump FAR MORE resembles a dictator when he's speaking. Just look at Trump's gestures, facial expressions and tone of voice when he's trying to make a point and tell me that it doesn't look anything like Hitler or Mussolini ESPECIALLY with his hand gestures.

Go watch a Mussolini speech and see how much he loves to gesture and then compare that to Trump's convention speech and then tell me you don't see some resemblance there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Here's obama's speech after the Orlando attack, just watch this video with the sound off and analyze and concentrate on his facial expressions, attitude and anger.

Than watch his speech from today at the convention....you know, with the sound off, and look at the anger and passion in his face, he looks a lot more mad than he did when speaking about the 'unacceptable tragedy'
Again why don't you watch Trump's speech at the convention with the sound off and then compare that to a Mussolini speech and tell me you don't see some similarities? >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Never before has someone deemed a great orator, been such a poor communicator. No one knows what even the simplest words mean, when obama speaks them.
Obama's speeches are pretty straightforward, if you can't understand him that's YOUR problem and not his.

Quote:
Obama can't convince anyone of anything, except for his admirers who don't need to listen to his words to be swayed.

Isn't the ability to convince an audience critical be being a great orator?
Well considering many, MANY Republicans even after 8 YEARS IN OFFICE still think he's a Muslim and wasn't born in the US, how could Obama EVER convince them of ANYTHING if they can't even believe basics like that about him?? It doesn't matter what he says or does, you're going to not listen or trust him regardless. I mean hell even after he went on national TV and said he had sent forces that successfully killed Bin Laden, how many Republicans didn't believe him and said he was lying because they didn't see the body or video evidence?

Forget Obama, even Lincoln, Churchill or any other great leader/speaker you can think of in human history would NEVER be able to get through to these kinds of Republicans who have closed off their minds to being reasoned with.

Quote:
The content of his speeches are composed of lies and misleading information as he does his best to divide the nation along every crease possible. Being a great orator is now independant of content delivered. Just judged on sounds and inflection.
If we're talking about Obama's speech last night, then you MUST have been watching something else because his speech was ANYTHING BUT devisive, but in the mind of a Republican and their supporters ANYTHING Obama says is automatically wrong, devisive and evil because he's NOT ON YOUR TEAM. To many Republicans, its literally 'if you're not one of us, then you're against us' which is why its so damn near IMPOSSIBLE to communicate with them. Heck if Lincoln were alive today but he were running as a Democrat, you'd boooo the hell out of him too and say he was a liar and a fraud etc. That's just the GOP way.

Hell EVEN BEFORE he became president Republicans and right wing media already hated him and demonized him TO THE MAX. How is ANY MAN suppose to change these people's perceptions when they've already passed judgement on him wayyyy before he came anywhere close to the White House?? I GUARANTEE YOU if Obama was a Republican you'd be PRAISING THE HELL OUT OF HIM with how well he can motivate and inspire people with his words, but because he's a Democrat, its LIES, FRAUD, EVIL etc. >_>

Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It's a convention leading up to a presidential election. That's what's supposed to happen, Einstein. You get people excited and ready to vote.
Rehearsed, scripted speeches.... telling us how great their candidate is, demonizing opponents, send the little people into a frenzy, and the little people become part of the made for TV show.

Yep it's all a script that must be played to make people think their voice matters. In Bernie's case it didn't, what makes you think your voice counts now? You don't like my pointing out how foolish it all is especially when we know that she couldn't win without help from D Wassermann and the media?

When's the last time Hillary allowed an unfriendly media to ask her spontaneous, unscripted questions and be force to answer not from a teleprompter but spontaneously. That's when I'll give her credit, not when reading from a teleprompter. Look, if you need someone to worship at their alter, you need a life.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Maybe that is not the only similarity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc

Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Obama's 'great orator' reputation is a creation of the media propaganda machine.

Never before has someone deemed a great orator, been such a poor communicator. No one knows what even the simplest words mean, when obama speaks them.

Obama can't convince anyone of anything, except for his admirers who don't need to listen to his words to be swayed.

Isn't the ability to convince an audience critical be being a great orator?

The content of his speeches are composed of lies and misleading information as he does his best to divide the nation along every crease possible.

Being a great orator is now independant of content delivered. Just judged on sounds and inflection.
Being a great orator is one who can at least convince the opposing side to have a listen and consider their point of view. You don't do that attacking opponents 3 mins into every speech he gave in the last 7+ years.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
For whom? The billionaires that doubled in the time he started his presidency? Sure isnt the shrinking middle class
A congress that made it their #1 priority to make sure President Obama wasn't reelected. Do you not follow what's going on?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You seriously have nothing better to do with your time than to start a thread comparing Obama to Hitler based on nothing more than a perceived pattern of speech similarity?
Then you obviously don't understand politics, manipulation and salesmanship.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You can't elect a dictator but it seems you expected Obama would get his way with everything otherwise in your mind he was obstructed. "Believe it or not" ... not everyone agreed with his agenda and when we didn't agree with something he wanted to do we are thankful that we have system that does not allow dictator powers. If someone you don't agree with is in power you'll be thankful for the system too.

Obviously Americans don't understand how our government is set up.
Yes, mostly uneducated conservatives. You're the only one saying people expected for Obama to get his way on everything.. You're either being disingenuous or obtuse..

Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,330 times
Quote:
Then you obviously don't understand politics, manipulation and salesmanship.
was it just Hitlers speeches you watched or did you watch any other great speeches from history?
If you did, what did you notice?

If its only Hitlers speeches you watch.....

Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When the teleprompter is working.
I would love to have you present a speech and compare it against one of Obama's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.