U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 11:07 AM

18,970 posts, read 9,668,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Violence is not a problem ? Not sure what part of the country you live in but here it Detroit it is. If want to solve the violence problem in our country banning types of firearms is not going to fix it.

How did you not get that ?
I was being sarcastic.

Guns are the problem but violence is of no concern. As long as we aren't shot, we are happy to die by being run over by truck, blown to piece, burned and stabbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM

10,259 posts, read 6,302,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I was being sarcastic.

Guns are the problem but violence is of no concern. As long as we aren't shot, we are happy to die by being run over by truck, blown to piece, burned and stabbed.

That went right over my head...sorry about that.
We are definitely on the same page.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM

3,758 posts, read 2,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
No, what Americans want is an end to gun crimes, not a useless ban on weapons because they look scary.
Which are easier to commit with those guns.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Which are easier to commit with those guns.

What does looks have to do with how deadly a gun is ?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are apparently living in a different country. The Democrats don't want to end gun crimes. They just want to ban guns.
Ban guns whose primary purpose isn't protection and hunting, yes.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,318,665 times
Most, but not all democrat politicians are anti-gun.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM

18,970 posts, read 9,668,809 times
Quote:
Which guns are not?

The primary purpose of keeping and bearing arms is for self-defense against criminals and a tyrannical government.

You tell me which gun is not for serving that purpose.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let's look at the "military grade" AR-15, it's a semi-auto rifle fundamentally no different than ANY semi-auto It was first marketed to consumers in the early 60's as a sporting rifle. It's light and easy to operate. If for example you were learning to shoot it's good gun to start off with. A common use might be pest control. It has a medium cartridge that is not particularity powerful or deadly. There is semi auto hunting rifles that are much more powerful than this rifle.

The military based the M-16 on it because it's relatively cheap to make, easy to operate and it's light along with the ammo which is important if you are going to be carrying a gun for miles. The major difference between the M-16 and the AR-15 is selective fire, selcetive fire allows for semi-auto fire, 3 round bursts or fully auto. A common complaint from military personnel has always been that it's under powered. In Iraq and Afghanistan they were reissuing the m-14 which is a much more powerful gun, it uses a cartridge common in hunting rifles. Weight was really not an issue there, power was more important.

Now that you have detailed explanation of what an AR-15 is I want you to explain to me the fundamental difference between it and semi auto rifle that is considered a hunting rifle. What makes it a "military grade" rifle?

It's a nonsensical label and this is important. The reason it's important is if you can justify banning the AR-15 solely based on function you can justify banning any semi auto rifle.
Which is why a "case by case" basis is important. Reasonable minds should be able to do this, but the gun issue has become so inflamed, it doesn't look possible.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Isn't the end user the one that dictates the primary purpose ?

I have a cute little 5 year old black and tan Cavalier named Graham. His primary purpose is to be my furry little friend. If I decided to pick him up and start bashing him against my wife's head , does that make him an assault Cavalier and should then be banned ?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 AM

35,275 posts, read 32,238,652 times
Quote:
There is no such thing. The AR is a modern hunting rifle. It's the one I use primarily for med game animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or