U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times

Advertisements

Most Dems have been virulently anti-gun for at least the last twenty years. It's beyond debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,270,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
You know this is one of the biggest fallacies there is? It's called the Swimming Pool Canard. I'll tell you the positives of trucks and swimming pools; you tell me the positives of automatic rifles and bombs.
Select fire weapons are already highly restricted, i'm sure you already know that though. As far as bombs, are we going to ban diesel fuel and fertilizer ?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 PM

32,995 posts, read 13,924,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. That's your rational response to facts?
Those are not all facts but let's not lets objectivity get in the way of another gun post'

Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 PM

2,523 posts, read 828,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Those are not all facts but let's not lets objectivity get in the way of another gun post'
So point out which of those are not facts. And back up your assertions with evidence; you can't just say it's a lie.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 PM

18,833 posts, read 9,620,636 times
Quote:
What you said is a lie. I won't provide any proof but even a fool knows it's a lie. A lie is a lie is a lie!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 PM

1,621 posts, read 830,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Come on man. Look up what the definition is for "assault weapon". It's based on features, like your car having AC or a backup camera.

Hard to have a civil anything with people who think a forearm extension to hold on to makes it more powerful and faster rate of fire.

folding stock makes a gun deadlier --> LIE

pistol grip makes a gun deadlier --> LIE (possible, if only able to keep the firearm more stable.)

forearm grip makes a gun deadlier --> LIE

a scope makes a gun deadlier --> LIE (possible can make a weapon deadlier, it would allow the shooter to hit a target at a longer distance.)

an AR 15 is a military weapon --> LIE

an AR 15 is completely different than a semi auto long gun --> LIE

an AR 15 is more dangerous than a pump shotgun or handgun --> LIE

Gun show loop hole --> LIE

A back ground check keeps criminals from purchasing a gun in a gun store --> LIE

A 10 round mag is less dangerous than a 30 --> Yep a lie, proven ( a 10 round magazine only would force the shooter to reload with a new magazine more frequently, if prepared with magazines, the time difference is very slight.)

A database of registered weapons will keep people safe -- > OMFG LMAO are you kidding me

Truths:

80,000 FELONS attempt to purchase a weapon each year, we average 4 convictions (of those that are not allowed to buy a firearm, lie on the form 4473 and get caught, lying and are prosecuted.)

Stealing a weapon that can be a felony to own is a misdemeanor

We release criminals early to commit more crimes

The chance of you being involved with a mass shooting are less than 1% In fact it's 0.00000143%

A felon can be denied buying a gun through nics, turn around and buy all the parts to build the same gun, in an hour, from the same store

Quote:
Quite a few truths, half truths and lies in your response, that is why there can never be a rational discussion.

I will respond to the ones above as to which might be an lie in RED.

The closest I see in the previous post to a half truth is about the scope; the scope only give you the ability to see a target at a longer distance, the shooter still need to be able to hit the target.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:56 PM

9,048 posts, read 14,319,405 times
Quote:
Hard to have a civil anything with people who think a forearm extension to hold on to makes it more powerful and faster rate of fire.
OK, sounds reasonable.

Quote:
folding stock makes a gun deadlier --> LIE

pistol grip makes a gun deadlier --> LIE

forearm grip makes a gun deadlier --> LIE

a scope makes a gun deadlier --> LIE
Well, I can't imagine they do. I suppose some do believe this.

Quote:
an AR 15 is a military weapon --> LIE
OK.

Quote:
an AR 15 is completely different than a semi auto long gun --> LIE
So, it's a little different? A lot different? Exactly the same?

Quote:
an AR 15 is more dangerous than a pump shotgun or handgun --> LIE
They are equally as dangerous?

Quote:
Gun show loop hole --> LIE
OK.

Quote:
A back ground check keeps criminals from purchasing a gun in a gun store --> LIE
Criminals with a record? Or someone who is about to commit a crime with no history?

Quote:
A 10 round mag is less dangerous than a 30 --> Yep a lie, proven
What was proven exactly?

Quote:
A database of registered weapons will keep people safe -- > OMFG LMAO are you kidding me
OMFG, there it is. It was just a matter of time lol. Who ever asserted that a database of registered weapons would keep people safe?

[quote] Truths:

Quote:
80,000 FELONS attempt to purchase a weapon each year, we average 4 convictions
OK, those numbers, true or not are not really a defense to leave things the way they are.

Quote:
Stealing a weapon that can be a felony to own is a misdemeanor
So it should be a felony?

Quote:
We release criminals early to commit more crimes
Mmmm, maybe. I'll have to check.

Quote:
The chance of you being involved with a mass shooting are less than 1% In fact it's 0.00000143%
I'd agree with that. But that's really not the only concern.

Quote:
A felon can be denied buying a gun through nics, turn around and buy all the parts to build the same gun, in an hour, from the same store
Indeed he can. Not the only concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How is that mocking and how is that a lie ?
Many of the proposed bans have nothing to do with the functionality of the firearm, so they are basing their judgement on what makes it look like a military version.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/us...ated.html?_r=0

Obama Wants to Ban 'Assault Weapons' but Does Not Know What They Are - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Funny thing, this is far more powerful then the standard AR based sporting rifle
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3%A9museum.jpg
It's along the same lines of "guns don't kill people", which is a fictitious argument. I thought yours was pure sarcasm. My apologies.

Quote:
The ratio of crimes committed by blacks is off the charts compared to any other race. We don't need to "think" anything.
Well that wasn't really my point, but would you mind directing me to the numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you don't even know what guns they are trying to ban then how can you make any determination that what was said is a lie?
I keep hearing/reading that we want to ban all guns and want to do away with 2A. So, it's a valid question.

I owned a beautiful Sig Sauer P238 for a time. I'll probably get another one. I'm not opposed to gun ownership. I haven't decided if I'm opposed to "military style" weapons yet. I don't personally see the appeal, but I'm not an enthusiast and I'm not worried about tyranny. To me, as long as you know how to use it and store it and you're sane, have at it. But the laws, as they are, are not sufficient. I'm a domestic violence victim advocate and that's just one area where I know we can do better.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 AM

1,621 posts, read 830,238 times
PassTheChocolate

"A back ground check keeps criminals from purchasing a gun in a gun store --> LIE "

"Criminals with a record? Or someone who is about to commit a crime with no history?"

Criminals for who are already ban from buying weapons, then try and buy some at a gun store, and lie on form 4473, and then are not prosecuted.

The section I put into RED, is the hardest part, there is no way of knowing if someone is about to commit a crime that has not committed one previously. And in their lies the rub, how do you restrict someone from doing something before they have done anything wrong.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 AM

593 posts, read 1,177,883 times
Ima Democrat and I have plenty of guns. I think the Supreme Court already hashed this out?

Republican Fear Mongering all over again. Its worse than chicken little runnin around "the sky iz a fallerin lordy hep us!"

Old 07-29-2016, 04:07 AM

39,466 posts, read 40,770,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

So, it's a little different? A lot different? Exactly the same?
You said you had a Sig, this is how an AR-15 or any semi auto rifle operates. You poll the trigger and they go BANG!. Pull the trigger again and they go BANG!.

Quote:
They are equally as dangerous?
I'm not sure how you define how any gun is more dangerous than another. A simple revolver in the hands of an expert is going to be very dangerous for the people they are shooting at. Had there been such person in that Orlando club the shooter would had a hole in his head a split second after he was viewable. That said a shotgun loaded with high velocity 00 buckshot is going to shoot 8 to 9 pellets a little smaller than the single bullet coming out of p238 you owned. 50% more velocity in about a ten inch spread. Such a gun can cause incredible damage especially in a crowded room.

Quote:
I keep hearing/reading that we want to ban all guns and want to do away with 2A. So, it's a valid question.
Again you pull the trigger and it goes BANG! If you can justify banning the AR-15 because of function you can justify banning any semi auto rifle.

Quote:
I'm a domestic violence victim advocate and that's just one area where I know we can do better.
There is another side to that coin, women have died waiting to obtain a gun. Whether the gun would have saved their life we'll never know but gun laws left them defenseless. In addition to that being able to remove a weapon from your spouse is law that can be abused by the abuser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or