Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I do not support the NRA, because they support laws on arms. Forbidden in the 2nd Amendment.
They are not as much of a friend to the 2nd amendment as everyone thinks. The NRA has push gun legislation and regulations, as a compromise. I do not compromise the right to arm myself, with what I choose(my liberty) and feel is best for me.
I guess we don't agree on why they're bad just that they are. The words "well regulated" as coined by our founders, in my opinion, means what it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Exactly this. Nearly everyone I know owns at least one gun, Republican or Democrat. Most of the people I know, both Republican and Democrat, support some form of increased regulation. I don't believe this issue is as partisan and some would have us believe.
how many MORE gun laws should we have? there are already thousands of gun laws when you factor in state level laws.

what additional gun laws would prevent gun crime?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Registration
What common sense does gun registration make?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Registration

That has already been determined, as the first mechanism for confiscation, by the one holding the registry and found to be unconstitutional.

How do I register my guns that when made, were not required to have serial numbers.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
I guess we don't agree on why they're bad just that they are. The words "well regulated" as coined by our founders, in my opinion, means what it says.
Well regulated from your standpoint was addressed in writings. You needed a certain amount of powder, shot and type of firearm which were all military or better equivalent.

For those who study writings of the time it basically boiled down to people who are practiced to some degree.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:

My daughter, by the age of 10, was well regulated on the use and cleaning of every firearm in this house.
Precision, accuracy & efficient.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

http://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

"The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it."

Even we twist the meaning to mean "government control," the "well regulated" is on the militia not the people.

The constitution didn't say "the right of the people shall be well regulated," or "the right of the well-regulated people shall not be infringed."

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

"The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it."

"Well regulated" is the militia not the people.

The constitution didn't say "the right of the people shall be well regulated," or "the right of the well-regulated people shall not be infringed."

We all know, Militias are illegal under federal law.
Think about that, when reading the 2nd Amendment slowly.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We all know, Militias are illegal under federal law.
District of Columbia v. Heller

look it up

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

The situation can't be considered "well regulated' by that definition either. You just have to look at the news to see things are not working well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies