U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:58 AM

15,475 posts, read 7,891,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
John Hinckley's eventual release was set in motion thirty-five years ago. You say "we've become a very weak nation," as though my generation and our children are to blame for what you see as a grave injustice. You were thirty-something years old when Hinckley shot Reagan. I was in junior high, and my children would not be born for another fifteen or more years. Look around at your peers, Creme. That's who found him NGRI, and that's who's responsible for the current situation.

Who are these teenagers who have everything handed to them and have never had to work a day in their lives? I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in Denver, and with only one exception, every single one of my kids' friends had at least summer employment by their junior year if not a year-round job. I can't go anywhere near a coffee shop, restaurant, book store, or rec center without seeing one behind the counter or teaching swim lessons/running a day camp/lifeguarding. Even my fourteen-year-old mows lawns. I won't make any apologies for being able to give my kids a nice life, but I do expect them to contribute, and clearly my peers expect the same of their children.
Just wanted to say ITA with this comment and honestly I get sick of seeing older people, even those in my generation (and I'm only in my late 30s) denigrate the younger generation as if they don't do anything.

I also have a 14 year old and he does household chores everyday along with outside chores. In summers, since he is too young to get a work permit in this area, he goes around and cuts lawns in the summer for family and friends. He makes about $150 a week doing this in the summer. He does our own yard for free since he lives with us.

I have many nieces and nephews. My oldest nephew is 19 and he has 2 jobs and is a full time college student. This summer he worked 12-16 hours per day!! He is not lazy, he did not grow up privileged and no one has done everything for him and neither has my kids.

I do make a good income but most parents of all generations don't let their kids do nothing and IMO the current generation and the millenials have way more positive characteristics than the negatives people try to portray them as. My kid, the 14 year old for instance, has NEVER had to deal with bullying or had anyone treat him poorly at school! To me that is amazing and is a testament to the cultural shifts in our society that value treating people with kindness. Not saying that I have no gripes with generational change but for the most part our young people are inspiring to me. They are hard workers and they are compassionate and very family focused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM

26,360 posts, read 24,528,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to say ITA with this comment and honestly I get sick of seeing older people, even those in my generation (and I'm only in my late 30s) denigrate the younger generation as if they don't do anything.

I also have a 14 year old and he does household chores everyday along with outside chores. In summers, since he is too young to get a work permit in this area, he goes around and cuts lawns in the summer for family and friends. He makes about $150 a week doing this in the summer. He does our own yard for free since he lives with us.

I have many nieces and nephews. My oldest nephew is 19 and he has 2 jobs and is a full time college student. This summer he worked 12-16 hours per day!! He is not lazy, he did not grow up privileged and no one has done everything for him and neither has my kids.

I do make a good income but most parents of all generations don't let their kids do nothing and IMO the current generation and the millenials have way more positive characteristics than the negatives people try to portray them as. My kid, the 14 year old for instance, has NEVER had to deal with bullying or had anyone treat him poorly at school! To me that is amazing and is a testament to the cultural shifts in our society that value treating people with kindness. Not saying that I have no gripes with generational change but for the most part our young people are inspiring to me. They are hard workers and they are compassionate and very family focused.
If your going to take my post personal, that is sad....very sad...

again, deflecting the real problem....
As I said to you before, I won't debate with you, b/c your always right...and you saw your chance to once again, degrade....stop defending yourself and your beliefs...it's ok to disagree...period.

But to take a post personal is beyond logic....I raised my boy the same way...but I say this again...we're a weak country....and if we were not, we wouldn't have all the problems we have....

Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Hyperbole. You have a problem with your cousin's daughter? Great. Take it up with her, and stop speaking in generalities about kids today.
I have a problem with a whole lot of kids today, and it certainly isn't hyperbole...you are the one taking it personal....

am I supposed to say each time I post,
Now, I'm so sorry, but I don't intend this to mean everyone out there....so please, don't get all upset and angry thinking I'm referring to strangers I don't even know....

Stop taking everything so personal and getting all defensive.....it's still a free country and I''m allowed freedom of speech like it or not....you don't have to jump all over someone just because you disagree....

that is another problem with this world, your not allowed to disagree with someone, and then if you do, what do they do, get all mad and create a law against it....

We have become a weak nation, period...these people shouldn't be allowed out of jail....they are a menace to society and I don't care what reasons, these are my feelings and the feelings of a lot of other people....when you allow someone to get away with murder....that displays a weak nation..and puts an entire community in harms way....and it isn't just about this guy, it's happening all over the U.S.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,876,349 times
you're

It's difficult not to take it personally when you make such sweeping statements. I don't think you understand how you come across. Taking personal responsibility does not mean saying "we" created a problem or using your cousin's daughter to declare an entire generation as lazy, because that's simply not true. It means looking in the mirror, recognizing your role in the situation, and stepping up to deal with the issue in a constructive manner. And, no, whining on the internet does not count.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:24 AM

15,475 posts, read 7,891,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If your going to take my post personal, that is sad....very sad...

again, deflecting the real problem....
As I said to you before, I won't debate with you, b/c your always right...and you saw your chance to once again, degrade....stop defending yourself and your beliefs...it's ok to disagree...period.

But to take a post personal is beyond logic....I raised my boy the same way...but I say this again...we're a weak country....and if we were not, we wouldn't have all the problems we have....

Um...lady, I wasn't even speaking to you. I didn't respond to you and I agreed with the other poster, simple as that.

Seems to me, you are the main one taking everything "personal." If you don't want people to comment about things you say, you shouldn't create threads for people to post on an please note, I take nothing you say personal and don't really consider you a factor in the majority of my words that are typed on this forum.

I will state though in regards to you and your "personal" statement that you are way too sensitive and your attitude reminds me of how many people in your and my generation complain about our young people. You say they are sensitive and sissies and always concerned about feelings and "safe places" yet when anyone says something that is not even directed at you on a public forum, you go into silly comments like above.

Again, please note that I do not care much at all about anything you say. I am not always right, but I also don't need to be told that I'm right when I am. On this topic in regards to the OP, I and many other posters are "right" and you are "wrong." It is you who doesn't seem to admit when you are wrong and who takes the posts way to personally.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
you're

It's difficult not to take it personally when you make such sweeping statements. I don't think you understand how you come across. Taking personal responsibility does not mean saying "we" created a problem or using your cousin's daughter to declare an entire generation as lazy, because that's simply not true. It means looking in the mirror and stepping up and dealing with the issue in a constructive manner. And, no, whining on the internet does not count.
yanno what, it's how YOU, meaning YOU take things...again, I'm sorry you think I'm talking directly to you...
and yes, We have created the problem, we're the only ones here...

and yes, i was intensely angry at my cousin's daughter, she made me wait a whole hour, b/c she couldn't get her butt out of bed, and her mother allowed her to do so...never yelled at her once...and then, we had to stop for breakfast, and that was just an example of how kids are today...

I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of stores and had kids in front of me, not even know to hold the door for the person behind them...but on a softer note, I've also had lots of kids do so...so?

The issue that happened with my cousin's kid, will NEVER happen again, believe me...she won't pull that with me twice. I don't care how they feel....

And still with the personal attacks,,,whinning, I call it an example....and I know a whole lot of people who have been through the same thing...you don't think it rude, fine...

whining I think not, a personal experience of proving my point, but then, once again, your deflecting the situation...

As I said before, if you are not adult enough to understand, that I'm not declaring an entire generation, that is your problem not mine...but our America has grown weak, dislodged, broke, and unable to look at the long term effects of our decisions...then when a guy like this is left go and goes and out buys an illegal gun and shoots someone, OMG, now we've got to take away all the guns...a quick fix to make everyone feel better...that won't last...

You stop letting these crazy animals out of jail....period...that's how you fix it.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
residinghere2007

Seems to me, you are the main one taking everything "personal." If you don't want people to comment about things you say, you shouldn't create threads for people to post on an please note, I take nothing you say personal and don't really consider you a factor in the majority of my words that are typed on this forum.
I started this thread, I'm allowed to respond, be it in agreement or not...and if you don't consider me a factor then why even bother to respond?

Quote:
I will state though in regards to you and your "personal" statement that you are way too sensitive and your attitude reminds me of how many people in your and my generation complain about our young people. You say they are sensitive and sissies and always concerned about feelings and "safe places" yet when anyone says something that is not even directed at you on a public forum, you go into silly comments like above.
Oh, well here we go....you will state though...
I didn't say you or they are sensitiv and are sissies, again, putting words in my mouth and deflecting...
when anyone says something that is not even directed at you...well, I've seen many people come into threads and post...and in case you didn't notice, that's why they call it a forum....

Quote:
Again, please note that I do not care much at all about anything you say. I am not always right, but I also don't need to be told that I'm right when I am. On this topic in regards to the OP, I and many other posters are "right" and you are "wrong." It is you who doesn't seem to admit when you are wrong and who takes the posts way to personally.
Well, if you didn't care, you wouldn't bother posting would you? I am the OP on this topic....and in regards to you being right, there is no right or wrong when discussing something that has already been decided, it's merely an opinion...as in most topics...basically we're all posting our opinions and how we feel. And if you care to go back and check, in many of my posts, I've written, I could be wrong, or I was wrong for saying this or that...so...? Please go back and check and re-read before making blanket statements.
Thank you

Now, lets get back on topic.....

Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,436,863 times
Quote:
yanno what, it's how YOU, meaning YOU take things...again, I'm sorry you think I'm talking directly to you...
and yes, We have created the problem, we're the only ones here...

and yes, i was intensely angry at my cousin's daughter, she made me wait a whole hour, b/c she couldn't get her butt out of bed, and her mother allowed her to do so...never yelled at her once...and then, we had to stop for breakfast, and that was just an example of how kids are today...

I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of stores and had kids in front of me, not even know to hold the door for the person behind them...but on a softer note, I've also had lots of kids do so...so?

The issue that happened with my cousin's kid, will NEVER happen again, believe me...she won't pull that with me twice. I don't care how they feel....

And still with the personal attacks,,,whinning, I call it an example....and I know a whole lot of people who have been through the same thing...you don't think it rude, fine...

whining I think not, a personal experience of proving my point, but then, once again, your deflecting the situation...

As I said before, if you are not adult enough to understand, that I'm not declaring an entire generation, that is your problem not mine...but our America has grown weak, dislodged, broke, and unable to look at the long term effects of our decisions...then when a guy like this is left go and goes and out buys an illegal gun and shoots someone, OMG, now we've got to take away all the guns...a quick fix to make everyone feel better...that won't last...

You stop letting these crazy animals out of jail....period...that's how you fix it.
Seriously dude? This thread is about Hinckley. Quit hijacking your own thread, your posts just make you seem like a bitter old person.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Seriously dude? This thread is about Hinckley. Quit hijacking your own thread, your posts just make you seem like a bitter old person.
seriously dude, you just had to come in and add your 2 cents without actually reading the posts....seriously, you didn't want to discuss the issues at hand....
bitter old person, your the one who sounds bitter?

I'm proud of my age, and even more happier that I grew up during the time that I did, and so do a lot of other people my age....it's a whole different world now, with PC burning a hole in everything we do or say, but we leave murderers out of prisons, makes a whole lot of sense.....

oh, and BTW, dude, there are a whole lot of other people who feel as I do, b/c I've received several reps on this thread....so...?????

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-29-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:07 PM

11,464 posts, read 8,446,823 times
Quote:
seriously dude, you just had to come in and add your 2 cents without actually reading the posts....seriously, you didn't want to discuss the issues at hand....
bitter old person, your the one who sounds bitter?

I'm proud of my age, and even more happier that I grew up during the time that I did, and so do a lot of other people my age....it's a whole different world now, with PC burning a hole in everything we do or say, but we leave murderers out of prisons, makes a whole lot of sense.....

oh, and BTW, dude, there are a whole lot of other people who feel as I do, b/c I've received several reps on this thread....so...?????
You haven't seen the reps i gave on this thread or tried to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or