U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 AM

23,992 posts, read 32,827,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm wondering if our college grads actually know who John Hinckley is?

And I'm wondering why he has been released....?

Talk about what is wrong with this country? Pathetic...to set someone like this, scum who tried to murder one of our Presidents, and to turn him lose...pathetic...they ought to put the people in prison who decided to turn this animal lose...they are what is wrong with this country.

Our judicial system stinks....
I know exactly who he is. I was in kindergarten when Reagan was shot; I vaguely remember it.

I was born and raised in Dallas, and Hinckley was a local here when he was growing up. So yeah, we know who he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 AM

23,992 posts, read 32,827,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I wonder how Jodie Foster feels about his release
We won't know because she's far too classy to keep blabbing on and on about her private life.

My guess would be that she's not too happy about it, but I don't think she has anything to worry about.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 AM

4,416 posts, read 1,889,936 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if our college grads actually know who John Hinckley is?

And I'm wondering why he has been released....?

Talk about what is wrong with this country? Pathetic...to set someone like this, scum who tried to murder one of our Presidents, and to turn him lose...pathetic...they ought to put the people in prison who decided to turn this animal lose...they are what is wrong with this country.

Our judicial system stinks....
How are you relating educated people, or college grads, as being uneducated b/c you know in your head that the educated don't know who John Hinckley is?Wha!?!?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-29-2016 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM

26,354 posts, read 24,519,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What exactly is this supposed to mean? My high schooler saw the headline and asked me about Hinckley in the car the other day. Obviously she was born long after it happened, so she has no firsthand knowledge of the event, but she was curious about it, which I think is a good thing. Let's not forget that the parents of today's college students were mostly still in middle school when Hinckley attempted to assassinate Reagan. I remember it happening, but it's not like I was breathlessly following the coverage as a seventh grader, and that was long before the non-stop coverage we have today.

Here's one for you, smarty pants. Without googling, who is Charles J Guiteau?
It is supposed to mean exactly what it says....
Most college kids today, no nothing about Politics.....nothing, they don't even know what Independence Day is or means, or what we are celebrating...they aren't teaching them American history...period!

As a ninth grader I took the Assassination of JFK, very seriously...Then Bobby, the JFK...very seriously....

James Garfield...

calling me smarty pants is a personal attack...

much worse then you taking my post personal b/c your child is in high school and asked...I didn't mean you...or your child, I was talking about the children in college, and they are just that, children.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM

26,354 posts, read 24,519,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
How are you relating educated people, or college grads, as being uneducated b/c you know in your head that the educated don't know who John Hinckley is?Wha!?!?

Unless you are talking about the below quote? Trump is a college grad but does come off as uneducated. I recommend you also read the source too.

"In a news conference on Wednesday, Donald J. Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, also denounced the release.

And by the way, David Hinckley should not have been freed, O.K.?” Mr. Trump said. When someone said that the man’s name was John Hinckley, Mr. Trump corrected himself."
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/us...-released.html
I didn't even know about the news conference, and yes, I'm talking about our college grads being under educated...some of them are great kids and take their education very seriously...and have worked very hard to get where they are, and others could care less, and know nothing about the history of America, let alone the history of the Clintons...everyone today, believes what they hear on TV from the Media, or headline readers without even reading the articles.

Did you know that Obama was being interviewed by the Media, and they asked him about Trump being elected, and he said, "not if I have anything to say about it", and moved onto another subject.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:51 AM

10,722 posts, read 17,713,081 times
Quote:
Our country is in a sad state of affairs...our judicial system is really screwed up....
A little from column A and a little from column B

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,870,032 times
Quote:
I didn't even know about the news conference, and yes, I'm talking about our college grads being under educated...some of them are great kids and take their education very seriously...and have worked very hard to get where they are, and others could care less, and know nothing about the history of America, let alone the history of the Clintons...everyone today, believes what they hear on TV from the Media, or headline readers without even reading the articles.

Did you know that Obama was being interviewed by the Media, and they asked him about Trump being elected, and he said, "not if I have anything to say about it", and moved onto another subject.
I see no indication whatsoever that Donald J. Trump is any more knowledgable about U.S. history than the college students you malign. His off-the-cuff speaking style reveals his general ignorance of foreign policy and I'm not convinced he's any more knowledgeable about domestic issues. President Obama gave a perfectly reasonable response to the question, and I agree with him. Mr. Trump is woefully unprepared for the rigors of political office. I am confident in Ms. Clinton's ability to fulfill the role; therefore, as the official nominee, she will get my vote in November.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM

4,416 posts, read 1,889,936 times
Quote:

Got it. Your issue is that you feel that many college grads do not know a lot about US history. That does not mean they are uneducated. Besides, I'm not sure why you think this is true. I believe that there are many Americans that do not know enough about their own country. I also know there is a significant number that cannot even point the US on a map of the world. I have to get ready for work so can't back it up so this is just my educated statement. OK

Of course Obama doesn't want Trump elected. That shouldn't be a surprise. He will fight for Clinton to be elected. If this statement upsets you than I hope the treasonous Trump call out to Russia upsets you more!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,084,902 times
Does Hinckley have voting rights or will VA Governor McAuliffe have to re-instate Hinckley's voting rights? You know Hinckley will vote for Killary.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM

15,449 posts, read 7,885,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He was released because the verdict was NOT GUILTY by reason of insanity. With that verdict, the sentence is only served as long as the doctors say he is still insane. Once he is well, they have to let him go. The judges are putting restrictions on him, but even those will eventually have to be taken off.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What exactly is this supposed to mean? My high schooler saw the headline and asked me about Hinckley in the car the other day. Obviously she was born long after it happened, so she has no firsthand knowledge of the event, but she was curious about it, which I think is a good thing. Let's not forget that the parents of today's college students were mostly still in middle school when Hinckley attempted to assassinate Reagan. I remember it happening, but it's not like I was breathlessly following the coverage as a seventh grader, and that was long before the non-stop coverage we have today.
I also agree with this. I was only 3 years old when Reagan was shot. I knew he was shot but didn't remember who shot him until the media coverage this past week. I also have a teenage son and he doesn't know about it. Why would he when I barely know about it?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-29-2016 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or