Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
You can thank the Liberals, his mommy probably didn't give him enough love.
I think he was in love with Jody Foster [like that would do any good she likes women] and was trying to make an impression...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I learned his name, but it wasn't important enough for me to remember to be honest. It seems that he was certainly severely mentally ill as well. What I remember more (and what I learned about in school) was that Abraham Lincoln's son was present - that thought has always stuck with me.

McKinley was assassinated by a 2nd generation Polish-American named Leon with a last name that I could never hope to spell without looking it up. More importantly, he was inspired by the assassination of King Umberto I of Italy (woe is me, most college graduates probably don't know about that!) and was hoping to elevate the anarchist movement in the US after being upset by the incredibly poor treatment of workers, largely poor immigrants, around the turn of the century. He was put to death in an electric chair about 2 months later.
I looked it up, and I'd have to do so again to get the spelling down. Thomas Edison is said to have filmed the electrocution. That's a fascinating tidbit.

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
...and as far as McKinley is concerned, I don't remember his name, but I remember he shot McKinley a few times, and the man was insane, claimed he was Jesus or something?
No. Speaking of the uneducated...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
THis!!!

I cannot even conceive of the fact that they've set him free....what idiots...

and the doctors say he's well?????? He tried to kill a President???????

and he's well? I heard they even put him in custody of his 90 year old mother?

good God???????

If I were her, I'd run as fast as I could, and being she is 90, I'd start running right now.

what a freakin circus this country has turned into?
Squeaky Fromme tried to kill Gerald Ford and gets life in prison...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:06 AM

I'm enjoying the fact that this thread is gradually morphing from a rant into a history thread. So much stuff is thrown at high school students that they struggle to connect from a lack of life experience. Middle age is a time when things seem to come together for those who are interested enough to keep learning. I'm thinking it might be time for me to pick up a biography of McKinley.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm enjoying the fact that this thread is gradually morphing from a rant into a history thread. So much stuff is thrown at high school students that they struggle to connect from a lack of life experience. Middle age is a time when things seem to come together for those who are interested enough to keep learning. I'm thinking it might be time for me to pick up a biography of McKinley.
first off, no one is throwing anything at high school students, I was referring to college students, and how little they know, b/c of our inept teaching skills today, and that isn't any reflection on teachers, b/c I know they must follow school policy.

And yes, our college students come out of college and don't know much about American History...

Early American History could be a thing of the past

Cursive is becoming a thing of the past....

and 3rd, I'm reflecting this also on our judicial system....

Just recently they were actually reviewing Leslie Van Houten for parole...what is wrong with our systems, this country?

I believe it is a lack of education and a over abundance of pity...for criminals.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM

I was 21 working in West Virginia and my boss said he liked Ronald but did not vote for him saying he could not understand why people do the things that they do...we listened to the radio all day to see if Ronald would pull thru or if he went like JFK.Poor James Brady R.I.P.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm far from middle age. Even in high school, I read about history for fun and my knowledge of history informs my political understanding today.

But trivia is just that - trivia. Knowing Hinckley's name might win me some money off a drink tab during bar trivia, but it's not actually important, nor does it indicate any level of education or understanding.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Squeaky Fromme tried to kill Gerald Ford and gets life in prison...
yes, exactly, I'm not saying Ford's life is any less then anyone else's life, however, when does life in prison mean parole after 20, 30 years?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM

Unless one is a history major in college, it's not a significant part of a student's course of study. Universities may require a history class or two as part of Gen Ed requirements, but otherwise, that's about it. I took two classes prior to entering my degree-specific coursework: European history and state history. Of them, I found the state history course more enjoyable, and I definitely retained more information from it. I still have the textbooks and refer to them frequently in my family history research. Nothing will firm up your knowledge of history more than studying your family's genealogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies