U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 PM

7,495 posts, read 4,249,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He was released because the verdict was NOT GUILTY by reason of insanity. With that verdict, the sentence is only served as long as the doctors say he is still insane. Once he is well, they have to let him go. The judges are putting restrictions on him, but even those will eventually have to be taken off.

Gee, he's no longer insane? Wow, medical science.
I'm sure Jody Foster is thrilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 04:52 AM

26,354 posts, read 24,519,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Gee, he's no longer insane? Wow, medical science.
I'm sure Jody Foster is thrilled.
I have heard, that the criminally insane, are extremely intelligent?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why would anyone mock? That's great! But the world is different now. I'm 28 and have never once been asked to write cursive aside from signing my name, but you damn well better be able to code in basic HTML and know how to create a macro or pivot table in Excel for even entry level employment.

Our education system has moved away from rote memorization, which is wonderful. Even as a kid, it bothered me that my teachers were more concerned that I could recite the Pledge than that I knew what a pledge even was. I could never memorize lines of text, but I could tell you all about the symbolism, allusions, and historical significance of things which is much more important for critical thinking. It's one of the great ways our education system has evolved! Competition domestically and internationally has never been higher and while memorization has its place, it doesn't cut it anymore.

Maybe this is the division in this discussion. For you, memorizing facts and figures and text was heavily promoted and valuable. For most of us under 30, and especially under 20, that type of way of learning is less valuable and is much less of a focus in the school system. It doesn't make you any less intelligent, just like not knowing the name of a fairly minor character in history doesn't make kids today any less intelligent. Personally, I'm much more proud that I can analyze a poem than if I could recite it. Different values.

And I speak Spanish, French, and Portuguese, and enough Icelandic and Hebrew to get by. A point of interest on my resume ("tell me about ICELAND!" is almost always my first interview question, and I like it that way), but only Spanish has ever mattered.
your absolutely right, I'm 68 and in my time, memorizing facts were valuable.
What bothers me is when they go out into the streets and ask college kids on summer vacation, what was Independence Day all about...and they don't know.

Unfortunately, there are tons of people on here, who when they disagree, and have nothing constructive to offer, they mock....

I have a huge problem with our school systems today, and I know your correct, it doesn't make kids less intelligent, and I was wrong to insinuate so, however, I get real tired of the kids who know nothing about politics, and have had their parents pay for everything for them, they never had to work a day in their lives...and that is wrong...

I should understand change, and that its a whole different world today...I think politics right now has everyone stirred up...

Thank you for enlightening me, I do appreciate your kindness.

Creme

Old 07-29-2016, 05:02 AM

deleted by Creme, message was duplicated?

Why is this happening so much?

Old 07-29-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What's wrong with this country is the ignoramuses that rant on MBs about "the uneducated" when they themselves don't even know what they're talking about.

Nana explained why he was released ... and actually, had to be released.
I'm sorry, I don't buy it...it is in fact in my mind, wrong, and I'll tell you why

Our prisons are over crowded, and they are leaving actual criminals and murderers out of prisons, b/c they don't have the money to build more prisons. If they would build prisons instead of motel rooms they'd be doing something.

I can understand where people are coming from, but someone who is criminally insane, who has tried to kill a President, doesn't deserve to come out, regardless if they are insane or not.

We've become a very weak minded nation....

and now, putting the public at risk...this is just the tip of the ice burg, if they don't change.

And that is the problem I have with this, this isn't just about this particular issue, but it's been going on for a while now...and they've explained, that secret service men will keep a watch on him???? Yeah, and whose paying for that?

I call it BS....we've got to get tough...and keep these people away from society...especially child molesters...but oh, everyone seems to care more about the criminal then the victims? I just cannot wrap my head around such injustice to society, when in fact, these people have been and are a menace to society.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:36 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,870,032 times
John Hinckley's eventual release was set in motion thirty-five years ago. You say "we've become a very weak nation," as though my generation and our children are to blame for what you see as a grave injustice. You were thirty-something years old when Hinckley shot Reagan. I was in junior high, and my children would not be born for another fifteen or more years. Look around at your peers, Creme. That's who found him NGRI, and that's who's responsible for the current situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have a huge problem with our school systems today, and I know your correct, it doesn't make kids less intelligent, and I was wrong to insinuate so, however, I get real tired of the kids who know nothing about politics, and have had their parents pay for everything for them, they never had to work a day in their lives...and that is wrong...
Who are these teenagers who have everything handed to them and have never had to work a day in their lives? I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in Denver, and with only one exception, every single one of my kids' friends had at least summer employment by their junior year if not a year-round job. I can't go anywhere near a coffee shop, restaurant, book store, or rec center without seeing one behind the counter or teaching swim lessons/running a day camp/lifeguarding. Even my fourteen-year-old mows lawns. I won't make any apologies for being able to give my kids a nice life, but I do expect them to contribute, and clearly my peers expect the same of their children.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-29-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
John Hinckley's eventual release was set in motion thirty-five years ago, when he was found NGRI. You say "we've become a very weak nation," as though my generation and our children are to blame for what you see as a grave injustice. You were thirty-something years old when Hinckley shot Reagan. I was in junior high, and my children would not be born for another fifteen or more years. So go look in the mirror, Creme, when you're looking to see who's responsible for the current situation.
We've become a weak nation...we're all to blame for it...for allowing this to happen...before you get your feathers ruffled, try and read between the lines...instead of taking everything so confounded personal...

I'll say it again, we've become a very weak nation, and we're all to blame for it...period. Take it however you care to take it, it's the truth!!!! And yes, it was my generation that started this weakness, giving their kids everything, not teaching them the importance to stay active with our countries history and it's politics....getting them TV's, telephones, and spoiling them rotten.

And I've seen it, within my own family...do you know, that I went to pick up my cousin for an outing, and her spoiled brat of a daughter, wasn't even out of bed yet...and made me wait, while she took a shower, and then, had the nerve to ask me to stop for breakfast? She goes to college, doesn't work, her parents foot all her bills...oh wait, yeah, she got a job last year, walking her neighbor's dogs, but it fell through. And that is just an example of how pampered our children and the future leaders of our country are. We are doing them an injustice...

I worked with a fella that adopted a child...he and his wife were doing the same thing..he complained about how much college was...and I said, get her working, of course she cannot pay for everything, but let her know what it's like to have to work for something...stop spoiling her...and she did...

Everyone I work with and for are doing the same thing, their kids won't work...what is that all about....

Yes, indeed our generation has done this....we started it, and your generation continued it....

and I've had Mother's argue with me, that it's ok to go into a restaurant, or public place and yell and scream and run around....Geeze Louise....

We sure used to have a much stronger country....boys punched it out in the parking lot after school and shook hands afterwards...today, parents sue....

If my teacher sent home a note and I got detention, I also got it good at home...and I deserved it....today, parents yell at the teachers, why their precious little angels can't do anything wrong...I know teachers who are afraid of their kids in school today!

And then their is the lack of respect for property, adults, etc....not to mention, kids do not know much about our nations history nor do they care.

We've grown very soft...and weak...we let people out of jail that are a menace to society...

We reward bad behavior...

Women are asking for more of a maternity leave, but they want equal pay....no wonder companies are hiring foreigners from other countries and laying us all off....we want more and more to do less and less. We are ruining this country.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-29-2016 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,845,442 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if our college grads actually know who John Hinckley is?

And I'm wondering why he has been released....?

Talk about what is wrong with this country? Pathetic...to set someone like this, scum who tried to murder one of our Presidents, and to turn him lose...pathetic...they ought to put the people in prison who decided to turn this animal lose...they are what is wrong with this country.

Our judicial system stinks....
Money talks, Hinckley walks. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity. He is from a very wealthy family with many political connections. Most crazies would have ended up in a regular prison and died many years ago.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,870,032 times
Quote:
We've become a weak nation...we're all to blame for it...for allowing this to happen...before you get your feathers ruffled, try and read between the lines...instead of taking everything so confounded personal...

I'll say it again, we've become a very weak nation, and we're all to blame for it...period. Take it however you care to take it, it's the truth!!!! And yes, it was my generation that started this weakness, giving their kids everything, not teaching them the importance to stay active with our countries history and it's politics....getting them TV's, telephones, and spoiling them rotten.

And I've seen it, within my own family...do you know, that I went to pick up my cousin for an outing, and her spoiled brat of a daughter, wasn't even out of bed yet...and made me wait, while she took a shower, and then, had the nerve to ask me to stop for breakfast? She goes to college, doesn't work, her parents foot all her bills...oh wait, yeah, she got a job last year, walking her neighbor's dogs, but it fell through. And that is just an example of how pampered our children and the future leaders of our country are. We are doing them an injustice...

I worked with a fella that adopted a child...he and his wife were doing the same thing..he complained about how much college was...and I said, get her working, of course she cannot pay for everything, but let her know what it's like to have to work for something...stop spoiling her...and she did...

Everyone I work with and for are doing the same thing, their kids won't work...what is that all about....

Yes, indeed our generation has done this....we started it, and your generation continued it....

and I've had Mother's argue with me, that it's ok to go into a restaurant, or public place and yell and scream and run around....Geeze Louise....

We sure used to have a much stronger country....boys punched it out in the parking lot after school and shook hands afterwards...today, parents sue....

If my teacher sent home a note and I got detention, I also got it good at home...and I deserved it....today, parents yell at the teachers, why their precious little angels can't do anything wrong...I know teachers who are afraid of their kids in school today!

And then their is the lack of respect for property, adults, etc....not to mention, kids do not know much about our nations history nor do they care.

We've grown very soft...and weak...we let people out of jail that are a menace to society...

We reward bad behavior...

Women are asking for more of a maternity leave, but they want equal pay....no wonder companies are hiring foreigners from other countries and laying us all off....we want more and more to do less and less. We are ruining this country.
Hyperbole. You have a problem with your cousin's daughter? Great. Take it up with her, and stop speaking in generalities about kids today.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Money talks, Hinckley walks. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity. He is from a very wealthy family with many political connections. Most crazies would have ended up in a regular prison and died many years ago.
well he certainly should have....used to be, attempted murder and murder was a life sentence, not today...

My problem with this, is, it's not just Hinckley who is getting out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or