U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
8,606 posts, read 2,474,427 times
Reputation: 4530

Advertisements

I suspect many who oppose the officers right to fly the confederate flag would have no issue with Latino's flying a Mexican flag above our own flag.
I myself would never fly the confederate flag, it simply has no meaning to me. I wouldn't fly the German flag either, even though I am of German descent.
The people I know that fly the confederate flag don't do so out of white pride. The Southern Army nearly defeated the North. The North had them out gunned, out manned and had a decided advantage of the northern industry. The Southerners nearly won. To the people I know the war was more about States rights and Federal over reach.
I understand that to many it was only about slavery. Those many are ill informed.
The cop should have the right to fly the flag on her own property. Do I think it's smart for a cop to fly a confederate flag in their own yard? NO. Then again I don't think that it is smart for a restaurant to refuse cops service because cops in another city shot someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2016, 09:26 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,511 posts, read 33,791,630 times
Reputation: 14244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Only when I have to be. If you don't call me a racial slur (and you would never dare) you won't get hurt...
Sure you would. Lack of self control is genealogical...... LOL!
I might get hurt, but you would be dead... How does that work for you?
Tryvon Martin for 1000, Alex

Use the most powerful weapon GOD gave you and your words can set you free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Reputation: 11122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
It's freedoms of speech. I hope she sues and it makes it to the Supreme Court. I'm not a fan of the Confederate Flag but it's her right to display it if she wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,691 posts, read 10,038,875 times
Reputation: 20201
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I suspect many who oppose the officers right to fly the confederate flag would have no issue with Latino's flying a Mexican flag above our own flag.
I myself would never fly the confederate flag, it simply has no meaning to me. I wouldn't fly the German flag either, even though I am of German descent.
The people I know that fly the confederate flag don't do so out of white pride. The Southern Army nearly defeated the North. The North had them out gunned, out manned and had a decided advantage of the northern industry. The Southerners nearly won. To the people I know the war was more about States rights and Federal over reach.
I understand that to many it was only about slavery. Those many are ill informed.
The cop should have the right to fly the flag on her own property. Do I think it's smart for a cop to fly a confederate flag in their own yard? NO. Then again I don't think that it is smart for a restaurant to refuse cops service because cops in another city shot someone.
I don't see where your examples are related in any way. You're talking about someone whose job is to serve the public in a fair and equal way, versus "Latino's" we know nothing about.

And as far as I know, the Mexican flag hasn't been surrounded with controversy the past several years, as has the Confederate flag.

Personally, it bugs the ****e out of me when I see anyone flying a flag other than the American flag, but I'd like to think we're all proud Americans, and those who aren't, shouldn't take advantage of the benefits of living here.

Slavery and southern culture around it were a major reason for the war. Along with all that white pride came the desire to enslave black people, so it may mean white pride to you, but not to everyone - and I'm speaking strictly for many white people I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,511 posts, read 33,791,630 times
Reputation: 14244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Personally, it bugs the ****e out of me when I see anyone flying a flag other than the American flag, but I'd like to think we're all proud Americans, and those who aren't, shouldn't take advantage of the benefits of living here.

I only fly one flag here. The Texas Flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 09:48 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
8,606 posts, read 2,474,427 times
Reputation: 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't see where your examples are related in any way. You're talking about someone whose job is to serve the public in a fair and equal way, versus "Latino's" we know nothing about.

And as far as I know, the Mexican flag hasn't been surrounded with controversy the past several years, as has the Confederate flag.

Personally, it bugs the ****e out of me when I see anyone flying a flag other than the American flag, but I'd like to think we're all proud Americans, and those who aren't, shouldn't take advantage of the benefits of living here.

Slavery and southern culture around it were a major reason for the war. Along with all that white pride came the desire to enslave black people, so it may mean white pride to you, but not to everyone - and I'm speaking strictly for many white people I know.
It doesn't mean white pride to me. It means nothing to me..
To others it might. To most I know the flag represents states standing up to the Federal government. Do I agree? The fact is Slavery was a big part of the war, but hardly the only issue. The average confederate soldier didn't own slaves and likely never would have the money to own slaves. They didn't fight for slavery.. They fought for what they felt were states rights.
The average Northern soldier did not fight to free the slaves. They may have felt slavery was wrong but that alone wasn't the motivator. Maintaining the Union was their great motivator.

Mexican flag has been a controversy for the past several years. When you see a protest in favor of illegals it isn't the Honduran Flag you see flying or the Chinese Flag or the Flag of Iceland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM
 
Location: *
8,096 posts, read 2,416,063 times
Reputation: 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
She had been on Medical leave because of the recent death of her husband. It was immediately proven that there was no squad car in the driveway - it was in the police garage for radio upgrade.

The email complaint began with that little 'white' lie. There was a driveway, a car could be parked in a driveway -- therefore let's just say the car WAS parked in the driveway -- even though it wasn't.
You have the internal investigative report? Please share links.

This appears to be the investigative question:

Quote:
...In an interview with detectives, Cotriss was asked, "Why she would have or allow the Confederate flag to be flown, especially in today's environment?" the investigative report states. ...
https://www.policeone.com/police-job...-offends-some/

Her answers do not seem plausible & contain contradictory statements or explanations that simply don't add up to be reasonable:

Quote:
...Chief Grant launched an internal investigation and found the home belonged to Cotriss. She originally told investigators the flag belonged to her roommate who just moved to Kentucky. She said she couldn't remember his last name. She then admitted to flying another Confederate flag that she purchased with her late husband last year in Panama City. ...
Roswell officer fired over Confederate flag unaware of symbolism - MEREDITHAZ

But then again, you seem to have more information re:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 10:15 AM
 
79,084 posts, read 33,578,351 times
Reputation: 15829
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It doesn't mean white pride to me. It means nothing to me..
To others it might.
Which is the problem I've already pointed out. To others it can. When the defense brings up that this officer flies a Confederate flag over her home it interjects the possibility that she is biased against blacks.

It brings up doubt. It makes it so the officer is unable to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
8,606 posts, read 2,474,427 times
Reputation: 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which is the problem I've already pointed out. To others it can. When the defense brings up that this officer flies a Confederate flag over her home it interjects the possibility that she is biased against blacks.

It brings up doubt. It makes it so the officer is unable to do their job.
It might, but freedom of speech should be for all, not just the protestors on the left, not just for BLM, not just for people who support candidates by having Vote for Trump or Vote for Hillary signs in their yards.
I think it is in poor taste to fly any flag but our own, yet we have schools who fly the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo day.
I don't have the answer. People with thin skin will freak out over anything and everything.
I don't believe the officer should have been fired over a flag. Performance of her job and criminal record should be the only qualifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
 
Location: *
8,096 posts, read 2,416,063 times
Reputation: 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which is the problem I've already pointed out. To others it can. When the defense brings up that this officer flies a Confederate flag over her home it interjects the possibility that she is biased against blacks.

It brings up doubt. It makes it so the officer is unable to do their job.
Lying to other Police Officers during an internal investigation brings up the same sortof doubts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top