Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Those on the left say it represents slavery. Mainstream American conservatives often remark that it's a symbol against federal overreach and for states' rights.

I think both sides are wrong. Some Southerners who display the flag may bring up politics, states' rights, and all that uninteresting jazz, but that's just a bizarre reason. I think you almost had it in the post I quoted. Their ancestors fought with all they had for the freedom of their Southland. And that's admirable, and for Southerners, they're your ancestors!
Preserving & seeking to expand the right to own people as property is neither admirable nor honorable. Read the Constitution of the Confederate States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:00 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
As per the other earlier cited article:

No doubt a lawsuit is in the works although the public at large may not be privy to all of the information available leading to the decision to terminate employment which ... unfortunately, chips away at the progress made in an attempt to 'build bridges' within the community.
Sergeants don't get fired that often. Like I said, this story sounds like a cover for something that happened inside the department that they wouldn't have documented. The story sounds polished enough, but it really reeks of coverup.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Preserving & seeking to expand the right to own people as property is neither admirable nor honorable. Read the Constitution of the Confederate States of America.
Or the U.S. Constitution if you can't dig up the Confederate one...

Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It might, but freedom of speech should be for all, not just the protestors on the left, not just for BLM, not just for people who support candidates by having Vote for Trump or Vote for Hillary signs in their yards.
I think it is in poor taste to fly any flag but our own, yet we have schools who fly the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo day.
I don't have the answer. People with thin skin will freak out over anything and everything.
I don't believe the officer should have been fired over a flag. Performance of her job and criminal record should be the only qualifiers.
You're right - the Mexican flag can be viewed as controversial for other reasons, but how is it even remotely the same? There's a difference in views of illegal aliens, but that's not the same as owning a human being.

Some of you keep arguing about this, but freedom of speech is for all. And with every action comes a consequence. She's free to keep flying her flag but she's likely to lose out on job opportunities.

You want freedom of speech without any ramification. Doesn't exist.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:36 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Or the U.S. Constitution if you can't dig up the Confederate one...
True enough & I've discussed elsewhere. The American Civil War prevented the type of Country, its expressed intent revealed by a reading of the Constitution of the CSA, from preserving & seeking to expand the right to own people as property.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
Will the ACLU defend her?

Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
"What" = you're part of the problem.
Yes, a problem for white supremacist that use racial slurs.. I agree...

Old 07-30-2016, 02:11 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Shootouts?

Who are you, Billy the Kid?
Nope, just someone who puts his money where is mouth is...

Old 07-30-2016, 02:13 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
True enough & I've discussed elsewhere. The American Civil War prevented the type of Country, its expressed intent revealed by a reading of the Constitution of the CSA, from preserving & seeking to expand the right to own people as property.
All involuntary governments enslave people.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
She is a police officer who drives her police car home and parks it in front of her house.
She said she had no idea that the flag was controversial. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies