U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 02:37 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,101,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Not buying that she didn't know that the confederate flag was controversial.

I don't believe that leadership in law enforcement should be flying anything controversial like a confederate flag considering the challenges of law enforcement and community relationships and the current and past racial issues.

If she was a bus driver, customer service rep or worked at Walmart or something it would be a different story.
Some folks have been around and/or flown the confederate flag their entire life (especially those in the south) so I think it's very possible that some didn't really pay attention to any of the controversy. A lot of people aren't on forums and watch very little news coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:48 AM

25,173 posts, read 9,805,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Some folks have been around and/or flown the confederate flag their entire life (especially those in the south) so I think it's very possible that some didn't really pay attention to any of the controversy. A lot of people aren't on forums and watch very little news coverage.
People don't "own" certain words or symbols and words & symbols change over time anyway.

The need to project your feelings on a word or symbol into every situation in life and demand satisfaction is the height of narcissism/collectivism.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,433,542 times
Police are responsible for their behavior on and off duty

If she in anyway represented or referenced her department then the firing was appropriate. If in her policy and procedures manual there was even vague reference to obey all laws etc her termination may be appropriate based upon like activities with prior discipline or firings handed out

If what she did was none of the above she has a good shot at getting the firing overturned

I will be interested in following this case...seems harsh.. reprimand seems more appropriate with scaled discipline

Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 AM

37,550 posts, read 16,286,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Yes they are.

She should be free to fly her flag and stand for anything she wants. The constitution doesn't ban racists comments or symbols.

She should be able to understand with her flying a confederate flag and the issues that some may believe come along with that choice can make you unfit to serve with law enforcement.

Just by her bold statement by flying the mess in front of her house, I wouldn't want her leading my department or the department where I live.
You do NOT have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....

"that some may believe"

Some are offended by everything.

I am offended by the color red, because it reminds me pain, suffering and death, let's ban it.

If we banned EVERYTHING "some people believe" we would have NOTHING left.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM

37,550 posts, read 16,286,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How hypocritical of you Quick Enough. How did we guess you would be the one showing up to support neo-confederate and white supremacist symbols...
Hate is in the eye of the beholder.

As I stated earlier, the white supremacists ALSO use the AMERICAN flag.

I guess you thing it should be BANNED also.

Just because some wacko "steals'" someone elses symbol for their own purpose,

That is NO reason to ban that item altogether.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 AM

79,548 posts, read 33,947,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You do NOT have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others.....

"that some may believe"

Some are offended by everything.

I am offended by the color red, because it reminds me pain, suffering and death, let's ban it.

If we banned EVERYTHING "some people believe" we would have NOTHING left.
No, you do not have that right. There is no question that is true.

A court where we are arguing whether to remove the rights of others though will take into consideration whether or not something makes another biased towards another.

I've noted this many times and so far only one person attempted to address this. We have more than the right to free speech. Some times our right conflict and the courts have to rule as to how to address that.

A defendant can certainly make a fair and rational defense that someone flying the Confederate flag might have ideas that do not lead to a fair outcome where the law is concerned. It doesn't prove it but it does bring doubt into the equation. The defendant is supposed to get the benefit of the doubt.

This officer has a right to free speech but her speech makes it so she can not do the job assigned to her. She does not have a right to a job she can not meet the qualifications for. She can not be fired for her speech but she can for not being able to perform her job.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:29 AM

67,069 posts, read 34,105,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I already do but I also suggest that white supremacists look around and make sure they'll be safe before using a racial epithet.. That's all...

A little self control, goes a long way. Don't lower yourself to their level. Be the bigger man. Turn the other cheek and walk away... Nothing against getting violent, if they will not let you walk away.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,321,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
All it takes to change this power the left has gained is an act of the state houses of Red State America.
They won't do it

Because anything they legislate will have to apply to employees who make leftist political statements, too.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:15 AM

8,152 posts, read 2,454,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Police are responsible for their behavior on and off duty

If she in anyway represented or referenced her department then the firing was appropriate. If in her policy and procedures manual there was even vague reference to obey all laws etc her termination may be appropriate based upon like activities with prior discipline or firings handed out

If what she did was none of the above she has a good shot at getting the firing overturned

I will be interested in following this case...seems harsh.. reprimand seems more appropriate with scaled discipline
I too will be interested in following this particular case. I get what you're saying re: the expectations of a Police Officer's behavior both on & off duty. Is it possible the outreach to the local community resulted in upgrading the expectations or standards? I agree her termination seems harsh although the investigative question in the internal investigation, "Why she would have or allow the Confederate flag to be flown, especially in today's environment?" seems to indicate something like, 'she should have known better'. Could the fact that that was the investigative question indicate previous trainings re: improving police/community relations?

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 08-02-2016 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Changed 'know' to 'known'

Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 AM

67,069 posts, read 34,105,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.

Being punished for your beliefs..... The thought police.
There is a good reason, the 2nd amendment followed the 1st. A good reason, government wants us all to forget and deny, is there.

No crime was committed and she was terminated for her beliefs, by a government without due process to see if she broke any law.
Perfect violation of the 1st amendment. Government cannot punish anyone in any way for exercising their first amendment, without due process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or