U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 AM

48,007 posts, read 45,452,601 times

Advertisements

While getting fired seems harsh, this is where I stand. I know what the Confederate cause was about. As someone who is a descendant of African slaves, the cause is something detrimental to me. I've read the Articles of Secession. Several times the desire to keep slavery is mentioned. Bleeding Kansas was about the expansion of slavery into the West. Knowing that, this is where I stand. One thing about police officers is this. I need to trust that said person will do their job without some kind of bias behind them. Someone who flies a Confederate flag, I certainly would not want them being a police officer. My issue with not with the police. My issue is with certain kinds of individuals being recruited into our police forces. It takes certain kinds of people to be police officers. Someone who flies the Confederate flag, or has extremist views, I would not trust that person on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 AM

78,821 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
While getting fired seems harsh, this is where I stand. I know what the Confederate cause was about. As someone who is a descendant of African slaves, the cause is something detrimental to me. I've read the Articles of Secession. Several times the desire to keep slavery is mentioned. Bleeding Kansas was about the expansion of slavery into the West. Knowing that, this is where I stand. One thing about police officers is this. I need to trust that said person will do their job without some kind of bias behind them. Someone who flies a Confederate flag, I certainly would not want them being a police officer. My issue with not with the police. My issue is with certain kinds of individuals being recruited into our police forces. It takes certain kinds of people to be police officers. Someone who flies the Confederate flag, or has extremist views, I would not trust that person on the streets.
And the courts have to take the reasons for that into consideration. She was not fired for her speech but because she can no longer do the job she was hired to do.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 AM

66,453 posts, read 33,763,754 times
Quote:

No ones beliefs can over power another persons beliefs, without harm or violence..... Thus we have the right to keep and bear arms to prevent that from happening.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM

8,094 posts, read 2,412,639 times
Quote:
I think you know where I stand re: the Confederate Flag.

The investigative question in the internal investigation is: "Why she would have or allow the Confederate flag to be flown, especially in today's environment?"

The full story, including the conclusions reached in the investigative report, may not reveal the answer to that question.

She may have the constitutional right to fly that flag however lacks the constitutional right to be a Police Officer. She may have been found unsuitable for that particular Police Department's higher standards or expectations.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM

455 posts, read 222,526 times
ive seen the confederate flag twice in my life. both times it was white trash who had it on.

any white person i see with that flag i associate with trash.

glad shes fired.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,043,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
ive seen the confederate flag twice in my life. both times it was white trash who had it on.

any white person i see with that flag i associate with trash.

glad shes fired.
Good job judging people you don't know. Doubt you spoke to the folks you labeled "white trash".

Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And the courts have to take the reasons for that into consideration. She was not fired for her speech but because she can no longer do the job she was hired to do.
Freedom of speech is one thing. Being able to effectively do your job is another. Someone who flies the Confederate obviously espouses the Confederate cause. Anyone who espouses that, well, how do we know they will effectively do their job as a police officer?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think you know where I stand re: the Confederate Flag.

The investigative question in the internal investigation is: "Why she would have or allow the Confederate flag to be flown, especially in today's environment?"

The full story, including the conclusions reached in the investigative report, may not reveal the answer to that question.

She may have the constitutional right to fly that flag however lacks the constitutional right to be a Police Officer. She may have been found unsuitable for that particular Police Department's higher standards or expectations.
It also goes to this question. Why was she flying that flag?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:22 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,043,561 times
Quote:
Freedom of speech is one thing. Being able to effectively do your job is another. Someone who flies the Confederate obviously espouses the Confederate cause. Anyone who espouses that, well, how do we know they will effectively do their job as a police officer?
What's the confederate cause in 2016? Do the confederates have a website or official documents stating their cause?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What's the confederate cause in 2016? Do the confederates have a website official documents stating their cause?
It's a lost cause now. Confederates lost, and rightly so. Considering that, why would anyone want to fly that flag in 2016? Think about it. It's an anachronism. It harkens to a cause that was heavily invested in maintaining the slave economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or