U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM

48,235 posts, read 45,529,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed. & we may never know why in this particular example. On the society level?

This article takes a look at Mr. Robinson's assertion on 'Meet the Press':

The Confederate battle flag in South Carolina was first flown at the statehouse in 1961. "It was flown as a symbol of massive resistance to racial desegregation."
— Eugene Robinson on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 in comments on NBC's "Meet the Press"

Confederate flag wasn't flown at South Carolina statehouse until 1961, pundit claims | PunditFact

An interesting read.

I wonder if there are more statues & schools named for Confederate-Americans, especially in the former Slaver States? In some of the articles of secession, that's how they refer to themselves. & yet, in the present day, especially amongst the 'Lost Causers' they assert the War was not fought to preserve & expand the right of the individual to own human beings as property. Go figure.
Knowing the historical use of the Confederate flag, one would know not to fly it. Knowing the history of the Confederate cause(also the lost cause), one should not fly that flag. It's common sense.

We both mentioned before that some people don't want to do better. Saying that the "Lost Cause" was not about slavery is a lie. We have documents to show that slavery was a major part of it. I'm thinking "what kind of person flies that flag, knowing what it's about"? I'm thinking said persons might actually side with the lost cause, but won't publicly admit it.

I could prove someone wrong their "states rights" explanation. However, I have learned that many persons will just react in a petulant manner. They don't want to be told they're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,169,177 times
The Brownshirts are alive and well in the "land of the free"...

Old 08-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Because she wanted to, and had every right to fly it
No one said she didn't have a right. However, when I see someone flying a Confederate flag, whether or not it's their right isn't what I'm thinking about. No one flies that flag for nothing. The Confederate flag is not something neutral. We know that the Confederate states wanted secession. We know that the desire to maintain slavery was a major reason. Knowing that, what frame of mind would a person be in if they elect to fly that flag?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,715,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know what that flag means to this particular police officer.
I think this is precisely why she was fired. With the country in turmoil over white police offers killing blacks, having that officer flying a racist flag is like her giving the finger to Black Lives Matter.

Maybe she was so ignorant about the flag that she didn't think to take it down while parking her cop car there. Maybe she's a redneck hillbilly racist.

Either way, IMO, she deserved to be fired for the simple fact that it could put the department, and other officers, in a bad light, and could possibly get someone killed.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM

8,771 posts, read 4,445,446 times
Default reflection of souls, past to present ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Knowing the historical use of the Confederate flag, one would know not to fly it. Knowing the history of the Confederate cause(also the lost cause), one should not fly that flag. It's common sense.

We both mentioned before that some people don't want to do better. Saying that the "Lost Cause" was not about slavery is a lie. We have documents to show that slavery was a major part of it. I'm thinking "what kind of person flies that flag, knowing what it's about"? I'm thinking said persons might actually side with the lost cause, but won't publicly admit it.

I could prove someone wrong their "states rights" explanation. However, I have learned that many persons will just react in a petulant manner. They don't want to be told they're wrong.
It is true. People will see 'only' what they want to see and they will disregard the rest. The 'lost cause' may have been about slavery, but the 'lost cause', does not tell the whole story in the history of the civil war in the U.S.

What people see as the Confederate flag, others know it as a battle flag and or a Christian flag, Scottish symbol of St. Andrew's cross in origin. You're right, people do not want to be told they're wrong.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,668,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think this is precisely why she was fired. With the country in turmoil over white police offers killing blacks, having that officer flying a racist flag is like her giving the finger to Black Lives Matter.

Maybe she was so ignorant about the flag that she didn't think to take it down while parking her cop car there. Maybe she's a redneck hillbilly racist.

Either way, IMO, she deserved to be fired for the simple fact that it could put the department, and other officers, in a bad light, and could possibly get someone killed.
Get someone killed? Idiots.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:52 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,668,618 times
Quote:
No one said she didn't have a right. However, when I see someone flying a Confederate flag, whether or not it's their right isn't what I'm thinking about. No one flies that flag for nothing. The Confederate flag is not something neutral. We know that the Confederate states wanted secession. We know that the desire to maintain slavery was a major reason. Knowing that, what frame of mind would a person be in if they elect to fly that flag?
Better frame of mind than thinking everything is about the color of your skin racism and slavery.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM

8,771 posts, read 4,445,446 times
Quote:
When I see some one flying the rebel battle flag, I think of the other one, 'don't tread on me'. Interesting enough, I haven't seen any one flying the Confederate flag of the South.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It is true. People will see 'only' what they want to see and they will disregard the rest. The 'lost cause' may have been about slavery, but the 'lost cause', does not tell the whole story in the history of the civil war in the U.S.

What people see as the Confederate flag, others know it as a battle flag and or a Christian flag, Scottish symbol of St. Andrew's cross in origin. You're right, people do not want to be told they're wrong.
From my perspective, I see the cause from the perspective of being the descendant of slaves. I value freedom. I like the life I have. I can vote. I have the same rights as everyone else. New Hampshire's state motto is "Live Free Or Die". I think along those lines. While slavery isn't the only reason, it is the primary reason. The Lost Cause goes back further with the slave state/free state divide. It goes back to Bleeding Kansas. It goes back to the Missouri Compromise, the Dred Scott case.

And there is some history about the Confederate flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.[5]… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG
and

Quote:
As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Better frame of mind than thinking everything is about the color of your skin racism and slavery.
Really? Prove it. I do not believe a word you are saying. Perhaps the reason I see it as being about racism and slavery is because that is what it is. I have the history to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or