U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The south enlisted slaves into the military, the north set them free, strategically thinking those in the south would bow out of the battle. And the south wouldn't have the man power to continue the war. But rather than bow out, some of the (freed) slaves fought in the Confederate Army as they sided with the secession. (you got that all so backwards it's unreal) The north had no intention of doing anything until after the south came up with their plan of action. That is why the north's propaganda is bad for you.

The northern states had no incentive to set the slave free as they began industrialization which was less predominate than in the south. The south needed the man power, the north did not. And if the south was scared of Lincoln, the war would have never started and we would not be having this discussion.

8 things you didn't know about the Confederate flag | PBS NewsHour

1. The Confederate battle flag was never the official flag of the Confederacy.
_____

Did you know that Robert E. Lee's family migrated from Scotland?

I don't know why I am even bothering with this as in seeing what you did to that one paragraph of mine ... The Articles of Secession, you picked out the parts you liked that sided with the idea in your head and just rolled with it.

Slavery was not race based. When the ships arrived carrying the slaves of the slave traders, the black man would be picked over the others because ... they were stronger and it was thought they could handle the heat better, yes, because of the color of their skin.

And if you think by being a black man you have more at stake than being a woman of the suffrage movement, then you have a severe case of tunnel vision.

Just know that when you see the Rebel (against government tyranny) battle flag and you see confederate flag and racism, that is where it starts being wrong and it just gets worse from there for you.

btw: If I was the lawyer on this case, I'd have the case thrown out, based on their ignorance.
The north had no intention of doing anything for Blacks after the battle was over. The south had the intention of Blacks being enslaved. I'll pick nothing over being a slave. Freedom over all. Freedom or death, period. There were very few, if any, Blacks fighting for the Confederacy.

The Union enlisted Blacks first. The Confederates didn't do that until later, and even then, very few were there. Any Blacks involved with the Confederacy were mostly slaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaves...ican_Civil_War

So what if Robert E. Lee's family migrated from Scotland? What does that have to do with what the Confederate cause was about?

And slavery would eventually become race based: Africans in America | Part 1 | Narrative | From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery

Something else. This is not about the suffrage movement. This is about the Confederate cause, period. Don't interject anything else into it.

The Confederate flag that we all know today might not have been the official flag. However, it was one of the flags used by the Confederacy. And the Articles of Secession, and the Confederate Constitution provide adequate proof that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason the South wanted secession. Nothing the North wanted refutes what the Southern cause was about. No one has proven me wrong about the part that slavery was a major part of this. Saying the north wouldn't do anything for Blacks doesn't refute this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM
 
Location: NC
7,023 posts, read 4,972,611 times
Reputation: 7795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
unless the flag is deemed ILLEGAL to display on private property, they had no right to fire her.

looking forward to seeing her file a lawsuit.
Civil servants are not allowed to do certain things (which is almost addressed in the article). For instance, posting on social media about controversial issues can be grounds. The article was poorly written. They mention the flag was visible by Google Earth, I wonder if that is construed as social media?

In being totally fair, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. One one side, she has the right to do what she wants (within reason) on her private property, and I don't think this violates that. On another side, she has to protect and serve ALL citizens, and flying this flag certainly can give the impression that she has some bias. (Note: I said "impression", I have no idea what's in her head or heart). I can understand wanting to avoid potential conflict, especially with all the racially charged rhetoric going around these days.

In the end, I don't know how I feel about this. (People, all people, should try to see things from all sides, even if they don't agree, just try to understand alternative POV's.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 02:33 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 2,668,058 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really? Prove it. I do not believe a word you are saying. Perhaps the reason I see it as being about racism and slavery is because that is what it is. I have the history to back it up.
Being raised and told all your life that damn flag is a symbol of racism and slavery only means it is true to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: The ends DO NOT justify the means!!!
4,783 posts, read 3,168,653 times
Reputation: 1335
Gotta' love censorship by the brownshirts in the "land of the free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Right here; Right now
8,771 posts, read 4,444,302 times
Reputation: 1407
green_mariner: I value freedom. I like the life I have. I can vote. I have the same rights as everyone else.

Ellis Bell: From my perspective (screen name I know, but still) I'm a woman. I value freedom and I can vote. A person's race is not the corning market.

green_mariner: Slavery was not gender based, it was race-based. So I have more stake in it as a Black man than I would as a man or woman.

Ellis Bell: And if you think by being a black man you have more at stake than being a woman of the suffrage movement, then you have a severe case of tunnel vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Something else. This is not about the suffrage movement. This is about the Confederate cause, period. Don't interject anything else into it.
If you wanted to refute your argument concerning the confederate cause, you could by reading the Articles of Secession, until you see it. (which is what I did, because there was a time, I thought like you; I read them and the light bulb above my head came on)

You may have brought into your posts the confederate cause so as to prop up your argument concerning the flag, but the thread is about a police officer and first amendment right of free speech.

Robert E Lee is the person who brought the battle flag with him to war. Knowing about his ancestors it made sense as to why he would do that. Knowing about St. Andrew's cross and the symbol used in battle, speaks to that of, people who are against government tyranny.

I would have this case thrown out of court(s) based on people's ignorance, because it's the wrong damn flag. Every piece of paper that reference the battle flag as the Confederate Flag of the South, is in error.

That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Being raised and told all your life that damn flag is a symbol of racism and slavery only means it is true to you.
And having the historical evidence to back it up means it's fact, no matter how much you disagree. Anything that is a banner of the lost Confederate cause is a symbol of a cause that was so invested in maintaining slavery. I have shown the evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:02 PM
 
19,400 posts, read 17,499,328 times
Reputation: 10597
DC Metro cop arrested over helping ISIS. Two Temple University police officers arrested over the murder of a woman. Sorry, that's a real reason to be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346
Quote:
If you wanted to refute your argument concerning the confederate cause, you could by reading the Articles of Secession, until you see it. (which is what I did, because there was a time, I thought like you; I read them and the light bulb above my head came on)

You may have brought into your posts the confederate cause so as to prop up your argument concerning the flag, but the thread is about a police officer and first amendment right of free speech.

Robert E Lee is the person who brought the battle flag with him to war. Knowing about his ancestors it made sense as to why he would do that. Knowing about St. Andrew's cross and the symbol used in battle, speaks to that of, people who are against government tyranny.

I would have this case thrown out of court(s) based on people's ignorance, because it's the wrong damn flag. Every piece of paper that reference the battle flag as the Confederate Flag of the South, is in error.

That's all.
I have read the Articles of Secession. I know slavery was not the only reason mentioned. I know other reasons were mentioned. However, it cannot be denied that slavery was a major reason. It is mentioned several times the desire to maintain slavery. It is mentioned that the African race is thought of as inferior. It is also mentioned in the Confederate Constitution the protection of the "right" to own slaves. My case would not be thrown out in court because my case is that slavery was a major part of the cause. The maintaining of the social order was a major part of the cause. I never argued that it was the only part.

I am arguing that the desire to maintain slavery was a major part of it. This is not about what the North did. This is about the Confederate cause, and that alone. I understand that if the South had won, slavery would have continued for at least another 30 or so years. I understand that if I had been living back then, that would have meant more slavery for me. This is why I am not looking at this from a gender perspective. This is why I find your interjecting of the suffrage cause to be a deflection from my argument.

Robert E. Lee might have brought that flag to the battle, but he didn't design it. I don't care why he brought it to the battle. It was not designed by him. It was designed by William Tappan Thompson, a bigot who, in his own words, had this to say:
Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.[5]… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG
Those were Thompson's words, from him. Can you refute that?

And Robert E. Lee was a traitor. He was sworn to protect the USA and its Constitution. The moment he sided with the Confederacy, he became a traitor according to the Constitution he promised to protect. When you abandon the Army for which you were sworn to in favor of an enemy combatant, that is treason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 15 days ago)
 
48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Reputation: 15346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
DC Metro cop arrested over helping ISIS. Two Temple University police officers arrested over the murder of a woman. Sorry, that's a real reason to be fired.
I would agree that if you are with ISIS and you commit murder, you should not be an officer. However, this is about this woman and her Confederate flag. If you want to start a topic about the things you mentioned, start a thread on that instead of deflecting this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,552 posts, read 33,820,661 times
Reputation: 14261
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

And Robert E. Lee was a traitor. He was sworn to protect the USA and its Constitution.

That is what he was doing. Upholding the Constitution as it was written.

They could not get an amendment, so statutory law was being used to punish the south to give up slavery., that was unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top