U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 AM

8,774 posts, read 4,449,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. GA has what was called the Stainless Banner as their flag The official National flag of the CSA charging about mid war, as you said. There were 3 Nationals. The first was changed because if looked too much like a Union flag when banging in no wind. The Stainless was changed because it could be mistaken for a white flag lg surrender or parley.

And ave was fired for a battle flag /Naval Jack? Not surprising today, but I do find it harsh. Ihave a Jean jacket I wore to work that had a picture of three Confederate soldiers on a battlefield on it. One bad a standard with just a small piece of the battle flag showing, and I was themes in for racism and threatened with termination if I wore it again.

I'd been wearing it foryears at that point, and it was made for me by a black guy who did airbrush work on his off time. That I was a living history guy and reenactor was well known and I was never labeled a racist for it. Then this flag hoopla started, suddenly I was. The black guy I worked with was called to sir in on the rip ah HR, as he wa team leader, and be asked theHR director WTF.Be didn't have a problem with my jacket, or me. It was the"supervisor", a pink kid who's mommy was another director, who wanted the rip. He had a complex with me, because of age and experience, and wanted to show me who was boss..

This incident smells of that same situation.Someone with an axe to grind. There we're people wearing lots more inflammatory things where I worked. NBP shirts, others had Nazi stuff , such as SS lightning bolt tats, showing ,not covered,no trips to HR for them. Whatever, I stowed my jacket. Wore myblack dyed cavalry coat instead.
Since there are symbols that reflect a person's point of view, which leaves no one to question, and can lead to a person being terminated from their employment, what is the symbol for sexism? How do we know by a symbol they have displayed, a person's point of view towards the opposite gender and if they harbor any ill will or resentment?

Surely there is a way to tell, without having to get to know the person first ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:11 AM

14,265 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Since there are symbols that reflect a person's point of view, which leaves no one to question, and can lead to a person being terminated from their employment, what is the symbol for sexism? How do we know by a symbol they have displayed, a person's point of view towards the opposite gender and if they harbor any ill will or resentment?

Surely there is a way to tell, without having to get to know the person first ...
There is a trend to rush to judgment and skew context with symbolism. As joy say, if you don't know someone, how can you know what a particular symbol means to them? ASSumptions are dangerous.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:29 PM

48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Good point. We are a country that will get behind the 0.1% if they are say transsexual, but we don't we don't care about an individual's rights when it comes to something like symbols or speech. For example, if you have a confederate flag you ARE racist. If you step outside PC standards, you are thrown in with racist, sexist, etc. In a way, it's the same way gays or blacks were once treated - instantly labeled as deviants without hearing what they have to say.
I don't agree with being a transsexual either. A man is a man and a woman is a woman, period. But the Confederate flag, it represents the Confederate cause. What is the Confederate cause? An effort to keep slavery and expand it to the western territories. It was also an attempt to maintain a race-based social order where Blacks had to "know their place". This is in the Articles of Secession. People have freedom of speech, yes. That being said, if you are a public servant, there is a certain standard that you can be held to.

Don't even compare being born Black to flying the Confederate flag. That is so stupid. A behavior is different from being born a certain race.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,061,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't agree with being a transsexual either. A man is a man and a woman is a woman, period. But the Confederate flag, it represents the Confederate cause. What is the Confederate cause? An effort to keep slavery and expand it to the western territories. It was also an attempt to maintain a race-based social order where Blacks had to "know their place". This is in the Articles of Secession. People have freedom of speech, yes. That being said, if you are a public servant, there is a certain standard that you can be held to.

Don't even compare being born Black to flying the Confederate flag. That is so stupid. A behavior is different from being born a certain race.
Symbols evolve - it doesn't matter what the confederate cause WAS. You can't tell me everyone displaying a confederate flag (aka rebel flag) in 2016 has the goal of expanding slavery. That's like saying displaying an American flag means you support American laws and values in 1800.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM

24,897 posts, read 9,697,039 times
Quote:
Symbols evolve - it doesn't matter what the confederate cause WAS. You can't tell me everyone displaying a confederate flag (aka rebel flag) in 2016 has the goal of expanding slavery. That's like saying displaying an American flag means you support American laws and values in 1800.
I wonder if talking to people and getting to know them would render some insight into why they fly a flag, wear what they do, etc.

Such a novel idea, no?

Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 PM

14,265 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wonder if talking to people and getting to know them would render some insight into why they fly a flag, wear what they do, etc.

Such a novel idea, no?

That, plus we, as a nation, have never fish to fry, other than whatmeaning we find in what symbol. Isn't there a Constitutional right in there about that?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 AM

79,560 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That, plus we, as a nation, have never fish to fry, other than whatmeaning we find in what symbol. Isn't there a Constitutional right in there about that?
There is but it is NOT the only Constitutional right. In this case the rights conflict which does some times happen and the courts have to make a determination. They are going side with the benefit of the doubt which they must do in cases like this which will make it impossible for her to do her job.

In related news......this shows a few different things. That racism within our law enforcement is a problem still. This is going to turn out real bad for this force. I imagine that many guilty people will get set free.

Cop and His Family Face Death Threats After Exposing Racist Police Chief

Cop and His Family Face Death Threats After Exposing*Racist Police Chief - Counter Current News

It shows a few other things......it does show that there are indeed some good officers out there. It almost would appear that he was in the minority here but that isn't fair as those causing this might be the minority.

It's also a smack upside the head to those who regularly try and blame all of this stuff on the south. Those who do that are as big of a problem as those who will defend things like this.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times
Quote:
Right - the symbol evolved into a white supremacist symbol of mid-century America.

I grew up in the South. Anyone who says that the Confederate flag represents anything other than hate is lying to themselves.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 AM

37,034 posts, read 16,141,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
A question:

When I was living in Alabama for six months in 1973, there were many stores and gas stations with names in them like "Dixie", "Rebel", etc. It was like Alabama was still fighting the Civil War more than 150 years after it ended. In fact, school kids even got Jefferson Davis's birthday off, but Abraham Lincoln's birthday was not acknowledged at all. Is that still the case in Alabama and/or other parts of the South?
"It was like Alabama was still fighting the Civil War more than 150 years after it ended.

I saw the New York YANKEES on TV the other day!

It was like New York was still fighting the Civil War more than 150 years after it ended.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:45 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,061,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Right - the symbol evolved into a white supremacist symbol of mid-century America.
How do you know what a symbol evolved into for all people? Sounds bigoted.

Quote:
I grew up in the South. Anyone who says that the Confederate flag represents anything other than hate is lying to themselves.
Ok you got your opinion so why can't others have theirs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or