U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,067,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I let you know where I stand, and I make no bones about it. Why should I have an open mind considering the things said in the Confederate Constitution and the Articles of Secession? How does it benefit me as a Black man?
Why is another person's opinion only validated when it benefits you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM

79,555 posts, read 33,768,450 times
Quote:
I would imagine this takes place. I would also say this happens everywhere in America. From California to Maine, from Florida to Alaska, from Louisiana to Minnesota, from Georgia to Oregon. It's all over. Blacks, relative to other groups, are feared and hated the most. And I'm not saying this in absolutist terms, but mainly in relative terms. This isn't for every situation, but generally, Blacks are hated and feared more than anyone else. Even some Blacks don't like Blacks.

This is why this Confederate flag thing is a big issue for me. I can't trust anyone who endorses the Confederate flag. I have to consider that they endorse that lost cause, and therefore, have a fear and hatred of me as a Black man. I don't buy the "heritage not hate" line. Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution are what I base this on.

Funny you mention San Francisco. Back in the 50s and 60s, some police departments in California were recruiting White southerners because they felt that they could "deal with Blacks better". Considering how virulently anti-Black the South was during this time(Blacks were leaving the South in droves), something to think about.
While I understand and largely agree with you and I support your position I did post earlier where we used it in a school in the north and meant nothing at all negative about it.

There are exceptions BUT as I've pointed out many times the courts in this case must side with the defendant where there is any doubt. You can doubt my explanation of our use as the school on the South side of the system and that is all it is.

It takes on very different connotations where others civil rights are concerned. You (as in the big picture you) have no right to not be offended. A defendant does have a right to be treated fairly where the law is concerned and someone flying the flag can cause a doubt.

My two examples show where there are legitimate reasons where the law is concerned for that doubt.

(not really speaking to you directly, just adding overall)

Old 08-05-2016, 09:20 AM

48,300 posts, read 45,597,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Because I look out for myself. I want to make sure I can trust the person I'm dealing with. I'm not open-minded to anyone who could pose a danger to me. A person's opinion can be dangerous to someone else depending on what the subject is. I look at every opinion and then look up some things. In the case of the Confederate flag, I have facts to back up that the Confederate cause, the lost cause, had alot of stake in keeping the slave economy alive. Being who I am, I know that my ancestors were in the South as slaves. That cause would have been to my detriment. I base this on documents stating that maintaining slavery and the racial order was a major goal. Based on this, I don't care what someone says about what it represents to them. I'm looking at facts. I'm thinking about who I can trust.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 AM

8,793 posts, read 4,456,523 times
Quote:
Mr. Green is not benefited at all through the Articles of the Secession. He stops short, so therefore, he does not give the whole story.

They're a good read. Through them one can learn just how it was that the south was railroaded by the northern states.

However, that doesn't even pertain to the situation(s) where a person can be terminated from their employment because of a symbol. It just gets crazier from here ...

~ Don't Tread on Me ~ will be next. I know the two flags, go hand in hand.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Because I look out for myself. I want to make sure I can trust the person I'm dealing with. I'm not open-minded to anyone who could pose a danger to me. A person's opinion can be dangerous to someone else depending on what the subject is. I look at every opinion and then look up some things. In the case of the Confederate flag, I have facts to back up that the Confederate cause, the lost cause, had alot of stake in keeping the slave economy alive. Being who I am, I know that my ancestors were in the South as slaves. That cause would have been to my detriment. I base this on documents stating that maintaining slavery and the racial order was a major goal. Based on this, I don't care what someone says about what it represents to them. I'm looking at facts. I'm thinking about who I can trust.
And you should have the right to have those feelings just like someone else has the right to define what a symbol means to them.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 AM

6,706 posts, read 1,391,569 times
Quote:
Symbols evolve - it doesn't matter what the confederate cause WAS. You can't tell me everyone displaying a confederate flag (aka rebel flag) in 2016 has the goal of expanding slavery. That's like saying displaying an American flag means you support American laws and values in 1800.
Actually, it has been my observation that most people who fly the U.S. flag in front of their homes DO support the laws and values of 1800!

(But that is not to say that all the laws and values of 1800 were bad, though, and by that I mean such things as having a strong work ethic, for example.)

Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 AM

48,300 posts, read 45,597,478 times
Quote:
And you should have the right to have those feelings just like someone else has the right to define what a symbol means to them.
To me, it is about my survival. People are entitled to their opinions. I am entitled to my survival. If I can't trust some individuals, I'd have every reason to be afraid of them, and I'd wonder the threat the pose to me.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
To me, it is about my survival. People are entitled to their opinions. I am entitled to my survival. If I can't trust some individuals, I'd have every reason to be afraid of them, and I'd wonder the threat the pose to me.
Just as some may look at black crime statistics and feel afraid.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 AM

79,555 posts, read 33,768,450 times
Quote:
Just as some may look at black crime statistics and feel afraid.
He addressed that. By noting this, especially after he acknowledged and addressed it, you are defending his position.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM

8,793 posts, read 4,456,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Actually, it has been my observation that most people who fly the U.S. flag in front of their homes DO support the laws and values of 1800!

(But that is not to say that all the laws and values of 1800 were bad, though, and by that I mean such things as having a strong work ethic, for example.)
Less government intervention into our personal lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or