U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The officer certainly has the right to fly that flag. That said, I also don't trust anyone to police a community fairly who might endorse such a cause. With me, my main concern is this. Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. I'm also concerned about what kind of persons we recruit into our police forces.
Key word. That's like saying a person shouldn't be allowed to own a knife because they might stab someone. Should a person not be allowed to freely interpret symbols because their interpretation might be dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM

48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Key word. That's like saying a person shouldn't be allowed to own a knife because they might stab someone. Should a person not be allowed to freely interpret symbols because their interpretation might be dangerous?
Wrong. Difference between tool and ideology. A knife can be used for anything. The Confederate flag represents an ideology and I've told you what that ideology is. It is common sense not to fly someone that represents said ideology. A person is not entitled to their own facts. Fact is fact, period. Some things are open to interpretation. This is not up to interpretation. We know what the cause is, period.

If the Confederate flag was really about southern heritage, then Blacks southerners would have adopted it too.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Difference between tool and ideology. A knife can be used for anything. The Confederate flag represents an ideology and I've told you what that ideology is. It is common sense not to fly someone that represents said ideology. A person is not entitled to their own facts. Fact is fact, period. Some things are open to interpretation. This is not up to interpretation. We know what the cause is, period.

If the Confederate flag was really about southern heritage, then Blacks southerners would have adopted it too.
I've told you - YOU don't define the ideology (if any) one assigns to a symbol. That's bigotry.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM

48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I've told you - YOU don't define the ideology (if any) one assigns to a symbol. That's bigotry.
I don't define the ideology. Historical facts define it. That is what I am basing it on. I have facts to back up what I'm saying.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:58 AM

8,659 posts, read 2,482,311 times
One can have ideology and not fly the confederate flag. While I think it is in poor taste for the officer to fly the flag, I respect the officers right to do so.
I know people who have confederate flags, and are big time civil war buffs. Is their ideology racist? Not that I can tell.
I know guys who fly the flag because they respect the Souths ability to stand up to a much more powerful North during the civil war.
Personally I wouldn't own the flag let alone fly one. The same goes for people flying the Mexican, Italian, swiss, German etc flags. WE are Americans in the the United States of America.
If the cop wants fly it, let her. He its called freedom of speech.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I don't define the ideology. Historical facts define it. That is what I am basing it on. I have facts to back up what I'm saying.
Historical facts define it for those they may have lived in the part of history where you derive your facts. They don't nessesarily define anything for someone living today.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Quote:
Wrong. Difference between tool and ideology. A knife can be used for anything. The Confederate flag represents an ideology and I've told you what that ideology is..
The swastika is an ancient Indian symbol representing a prayer to perfection, and coming from the Sanskrit word svasti (meaning good luck, fortune, well-being).

The Nazis took it and made it their symbol with an entirely different ideology attached to it.

We accept both ideologies attached to the symbol (granted, most westerners aren't aware of the Indian roots of it).

So symbols and their ideologies are NOT FIXED.

I always thought of the confederate flag as a symbol of rebellion. I had a Jewish friend who had one in his room for that very reason.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM

79,216 posts, read 33,616,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
One can have ideology and not fly the confederate flag. While I think it is in poor taste for the officer to fly the flag, I respect the officers right to do so.
The issue is bigger than that as I have pointed out many times.

Quote:
I know people who have confederate flags, and are big time civil war buffs. Is their ideology racist? Not that I can tell.
I know guys who fly the flag because they respect the Souths ability to stand up to a much more powerful North during the civil war.
Personally I wouldn't own the flag let alone fly one. The same goes for people flying the Mexican, Italian, swiss, German etc flags. WE are Americans in the the United States of America.
If the cop wants fly it, let her. He its called freedom of speech.
The reason you would not fly it is why it is a bigger issue than just a freedom of speech issue. You are admitting that it can be a symbolism of racism. Is it always? Of course not, I've stated so.

In a court of law where someone might lose their Constitutional rights, the courts must rule for the benefit of the doubt to the defendant.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 AM

79,216 posts, read 33,616,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The swastika is an ancient Indian symbol representing a prayer to perfection, and coming from the Sanskrit word svasti (meaning good luck, fortune, well-being).

The Nazis took it and made it their symbol with an entirely different ideology attached to it.

We accept both ideologies attached to the symbol (granted, most westerners aren't aware of the Indian roots of it).

So symbols and their ideologies are NOT FIXED.

I always thought of the confederate flag as a symbol of rebellion. I had a Jewish friend who had one in his room for that very reason.
If a police officer had a Nazi flag flying outside of their house, it's unlikely they would be a police officer for long.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:14 AM

8,659 posts, read 2,482,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The issue is bigger than that as I have pointed out many times.

The reason you would not fly it is why it is a bigger issue than just a freedom of speech issue. You are admitting that it can be a symbolism of racism. Is it always? Of course not, I've stated so.

In a court of law where someone might lose their Constitutional rights, the courts must rule for the benefit of the doubt to the defendant.
Wow show me wear I ever claimed that.
To some it might be. To others not at all. I explained why the people I know who fly the flag do it. None of them because they feel whites are superior. I am sure many who fly it do, but certainly not all. The reason
I wouldn't fly the flag, is I refuse to fly another nations flag. It is that simple.
Many white supremacists claim to be christians, so is the cross a symbol of racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or