Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times

Advertisements

The rebel flag has always been the flag of the rebel. Those against authority.

Living in Florida as a kid, it wasn't uncommon to see that flag flying in black families yards and in the back window of their trucks.

As late as the mid 90's I saw a truck in Stone Mountain Georgia, with a rebel flag across the back window, with a black guy driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:15 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
American Indian?
What?

And why not?
It was the Indian (from INDIA) symbol for thousands of years before some nimrod Germans stole it.

My parents are from India. But they moved here in their early 20s (so ~50 years ago).
My grandmother drew a big decoration for puja (worship) when she stayed with us. So we should all be fired for displaying it?

Can you be more ignorant or ethnocentric?
The Hindi and American Indian swastika is turned opposite of the Nazi one, and is vertical, not turned left. They are different. The Nazi swastika, or "crooked cross" has some occult meaning. At any rate, I'm afraidthe swastika is beyond redemption. It will be seen as Nazi, in any form.

The CSA battle flag/Naval Jack, is a Victoria Cross ,at its base. Want to see a cool combo of VCs? Look at theBritish Union Jack. Remove the 14 stars from the CS battle flag, and you have a close approximation of Scotlands original flag. Different core scheme, same symbol. The stars represent the seven states of the Confederate Nation. The CS first national horseshoe arrangement had the same meaning. Crossing a line of seven what's, on the battle flag was to symbolize unity.

Still,(sigh) I'm afraid the battle flag is going to be demonized forever, now. What it means to an individual doesn't matter. We no longer have a right to our personal opinions. So much for the 1A. Just like our other rights, it's being chipped away. I see a pattern here. And it scares me.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The issue is bigger than that as I have pointed out many times.

The reason you would not fly it is why it is a bigger issue than just a freedom of speech issue. You are admitting that it can be a symbolism of racism. Is it always? Of course not, I've stated so.

In a court of law where someone might lose their Constitutional rights, the courts must rule for the benefit of the doubt to the defendant.
The question is, why should my rights cease to exist, just because someone, somewhere thinks I might have some hidden ulterior motive or meaning behind my actions?

If a person feeling offended, bothered, or uncomfortable, is all it takes for one citizen to infringe on another citizen's rights, then anything any of us say or do, can misconstrued by what some irrational person thinks we are secretly thinking or implying thru our actions or words.

Now, even the "Tread on Me" flag is symbol of racism and oppression. Either we stop this downward spiral or our society will suffer.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times
Default hells bells ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The rebel flag has always been the flag of the rebel. Those against authority.

Living in Florida as a kid, it wasn't uncommon to see that flag flying in black families yards and in the back window of their trucks.

As late as the mid 90's I saw a truck in Stone Mountain Georgia, with a rebel flag across the back window, with a black guy driving.
And because of the misunderstanding that same guy now hides his flag in the basement of his home. He isn't going to give it up, he just isn't going to argue with folks over it. If folks are not going to listen to people like Thomas Sowell, who then will they listen to?

The government allows for this tom foolery to continue, because with it, they can keep doing what they've always done and whistle while they work keeping the citizens in America enslaved to them. People don't want to talk about what is really wrong in this country, they want to keep bickering over a damn flag.

That way when something like this that happens to the Police Woman, the last thing that comes to their mind is ... what if that was them?

When the bell tolls, it may toll for thee ...

Old 08-06-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The question is, why should my rights cease to exist, just because someone, somewhere thinks I might have some hidden ulterior motive or meaning behind my actions?

If a person feeling offended, bothered, or uncomfortable, is all it takes for one citizen to infringe on another citizen's rights, then anything any of us say or do, can misconstrued by what some irrational person thinks we are secretly thinking or implying thru our actions or words.

Now, even the "Tread on Me" flag is symbol of racism and oppression. Either we stop this downward spiral or our society will suffer.
"Don't Tread on Me" and the Rebel flag are both free speech against the all powerful government(s) tyranny ... there's not a question in my mind as to what is 'really' going on here ...

The only question is, how long will it take people to wake up and realize there is an instigator among 'em and they're being manipulated and used?

Old 08-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Default chaos and confusion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
I cant see why people don't see the big picture of what's wrong with this. I agree that rednecks flying that flag are really trying to stir the pot or highlight their racist leanings. The flag lost in the civil war and if your are a true American then the only flag you should fly is the united states one. BUT... seeing since this is a free country supposedly you should be able to have a difference of op or views.

Letting a government entity decide they don't like you flying that flag so we will fire you from your source of income should really bother people. Where does its end.. what if you fly a satan flag or a gay pride flag , Mexican flag.. etc Will your employer take action against you for doing so? Its kind of hypocritical for this department to do this considering at one time the GA state flag was https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...XD5eRjuZZ_M%3A

I wonder what would've happened if this was a Hispanic officer flying a Mexican flag?? or a black officer flying a African flag or black pride? If they had an issue with their county car parked next to the flag then take the car from her.

Not only that but many police departments and state departments had uniform patches with this very flag on them.
Quote:
if your are a true American then the only flag you should fly is the united states one
Fly it? Burn it ... the act is covered under free speech.
Burning the American Flag: This Is Why It's Legal

The rebel flag(s) that represents independence from the Government's tyranny is not covered under free speech.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:12 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
there was an article that the government going to make the "dont tread on me" icon listed as a racist icon and ban it too

Old 08-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there was an article that the government going to make the "dont tread on me" icon listed as a racist icon and ban it too
yes, i know as i saw the thread yesterday. earlier posts of mine in this thread, i had said that those two flags are normally flown together as they have the same message against government tyranny ... in my mind as i typed that, I wondered how long it will take before they get to the other one. Shoot, not long at all ...

The majority of people in this country don't have true leadership, so this s hit is bound to happen. The minority they don't need leaders to understand the bigger picture and they are slow to give voice to what they know. When they do speak up, people look at statistics, not the message and they shoot the messenger ...

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-06-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 11:29 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
"Don't Tread on Me" and the Rebel flag are both free speech against the all powerful government(s) tyranny ... there's not a question in my mind as to what is 'really' going on here ...

The only question is, how long will it take people to wake up and realize there is an instigator among 'em and they're being manipulated and used?
The TEA party uses the Gadsden to symbolize protest against taxation without representation. I don't know of any true hate groups that have ever used it in a racist context. Either version. Here, locally, I've seen Mexican "immigrants, fly the Mexican flag over the US on the mast.There was a pretty well covered case lg this in Reno, where a veteran cut such a display down,in front of a Mexican market, and took the US flag with him, leaving the Mexican flag on the sidewalk, right in front of the store owner.

To rounding applause of bystanders. Such a purposely disrespectful display was begging for trouble, and that's just what theshore owner got. Deservedly so. There was a pretty good brawl in my hometown, started when three Mexican transitory farm hands tore a US flag from a local store front and threw it on the ground.They got the crap beat out of them, and we're arrested as well.

No cries of racism in either incident, from the respective communities. At least no heeded ones. I've never seen anyone fly a battle flag over the US flag, or a Gadsden either. I got into a scuffle at a concert back in 88, with a couple skinhead types that had a Battle Flag flying next to a Nazi one. A Metallica concert down in Sac. I took the flag in the end, and my son has it now. We used it ah reenactments and living history events. Actually a nice flag. Embroidered silk even.

The way things are going, I wonder what the future of reenacting and living history is going to look like. Historically accurate symbolism will be considered racist?

Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
I cant see why people don't see the big picture of what's wrong with this. I agree that rednecks flying that flag are really trying to stir the pot or highlight their racist leanings. The flag lost in the civil war and if your are a true American then the only flag you should fly is the united states one. BUT... seeing since this is a free country supposedly you should be able to have a difference of op or views.
I've addressed this probably at least 10 times. I cant see why people refuse to address my big picture argument of what's wrong with here with what she did .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies