U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM

24,846 posts, read 9,677,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is great news! I'm glad this police department took a stance. It appears this officer expressed a lack of both decency and common sense.
Shouldn't you be on your way down to Georgia to punch him in the gut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM

547 posts, read 388,694 times
What if this particular flag belongs to a family member that resides in the home, would they not have a right to fly a confederate flag?

Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM

20,736 posts, read 10,057,355 times
Help me understand two things here. First, I've always viewed this flag as being in support of slavery. I don't quite get what reason anyone would have for displaying it. So help me understand that piece of it.

And secondly, if it's so controversial, which I think nobody here can deny, why is it not okay to fire her, but it's okay for an employer to fire someone for what they've posted on Facebook or Twitter?

I'm asking because I see some posters were pro firing in that thread, but against firing here.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
I expect the city will be offering free counseling to all the folks that drove by and were offended and are having nightmares because they got a glimpse of the Confederate flag.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,918 times
Quote:
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
This is non-sense. So they can shoot, beat, and intimidate people with little to no consequence but a having a flag is fireable? That makes sense. <sarcasm>

Note: I realize the flag is linked to the Confederacy which is linked to slavery. This isn't cool, and I'm not a fan of this flag, but this is clearly a 1st Amendment issue.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:19 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,384,245 times
Quote:
unless the flag is deemed ILLEGAL to display on private property, they had no right to fire her.

looking forward to seeing her file a lawsuit.
While I'm trying to be objective..after reading the post on last 4 pages..I wonder IF this has to do with the LE Officer being a "Government Employee"?? It's quite possible that as a Govt Employee..she may have signed on to not promote any signage/flag or any other item that represents "Confederacy" ideology.. I have read often of Officer's get canned for posting on social media when coming out with posts that demonstrate divisive/biased opinions??

AS a Govt employee..there are always "Strings attached" because they are hired and paid for by all taxpayers..not just Confederate leaning taxpayers?? I always knew as a HC Provider..I could not advertise/ or represent anything that shed any negative light on the profession..Freedom of speech does have consequences depending of just what position you have in whatever sector of Society!!

Sure Private Citizen has the freedom of speech..BUT as an employee..not so unrestricted like many might like to think!

Any, feedback on this?? TYIA

Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM

10,722 posts, read 17,719,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Help me understand two things here. First, I've always viewed this flag as being in support of slavery. I don't quite get what reason anyone would have for displaying it. So help me understand that piece of it.
Maybe because not everyone associates the flag with slavery, nor is that what it actually represents.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,723,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
This is non-sense. So they can shoot, beat, and intimidate people with little to no consequence but a having a flag is fireable? That makes sense. <sarcasm>

Note: I realize the flag is linked to the Confederacy which is linked to slavery. This isn't cool, and I'm not a fan of this flag, but this is clearly a 1st Amendment issue.
I agree.

seems that many times cops get away with a lot, but flying a stupid flag is grounds for termination?

she'll get her job back. if she even wants it anymore.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM

5,156 posts, read 2,608,734 times
Ex cop here.

People need to understand that LE is not like other professions. When I was with the state police, there were policies we had to follow even if we are off duty. For example, we could not post bond for someone, even if it's our son.

Free speech did not apply either. If we say something remotely controversial on GB or whatever, we would be charged with unbecoming an officer.

Don't try to apply what you know of a normal job to law enforcement.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,723,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
While I'm trying to be objective..after reading the post on last 4 pages..I wonder IF this has to do with the LE Officer being a "Government Employee"?? It's quite possible that as a Govt Employee..she may have signed on to not promote any signage/flag or any other item that represents "Confederacy" ideology.. I have read often of Officer's get canned for posting on social media when coming out with posts that demonstrate divisive/biased opinions??

AS a Govt employee..there are always "Strings attached" because they are hired and paid for by all taxpayers..not just Confederate leaning taxpayers?? I always knew as a HC Provider..I could not advertise/ or represent anything that shed any negative light on the profession..Freedom of speech does have consequences depending of just what position you have in whatever sector of Society!!

Sure Private Citizen has the freedom of speech..BUT as an employee..not so unrestricted like many might like to think!

Any, feedback on this?? TYIA
There is no info on whether or not this broke any sort of conduct. Remains to be seen I guess.

Honestly folks - this was in GA. The deep south. This flag has been part of southern culture for a long time. All of the sudden it's a problem because some crazy white guy shot a lot of black people in a church and there was a confederate flag in his house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or