U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 1,414,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

And secondly, if it's so controversial, which I think nobody here can deny, why is it not okay to fire her, but it's okay for an employer to fire someone for what they've posted on Facebook or Twitter?

I'm asking because I see some posters were pro firing in that thread, but against firing here.
For me, it's a public agency vs a private business. Private businesses can employ people at will, so they can fire people for no reason at all. It's the owners choice. When the employer is the government, it's a bit different because the government shouldn't be biased towards any political belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,869,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.

Government cannot punish or restrict the 1st amendment.... Especially for their employees!!!

I see a major lawsuit.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,869,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Only when I have to be. If you don't call me a racial slur (and you would never dare) you won't get hurt...

Will call you anything I wish. I will make you look like a fool. If you cannot use the most powerful weapon you have, called your mind and your words to put me in my place and have to resort to intimidation or right to violence, I will shoot you dead. You can always walk away.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:09 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,503,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Only when I have to be. If you don't call me a racial slur (and you would never dare) you won't get hurt...

We have another keyboard, Rambo. Run!!!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,124,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It never ends though.

We went over this in the other thread.

None of us can predict how someone is going to interpret a word, an action, a symbol, etc. on any given day.

I would rather simply ignore everything except force initiation instead of artificially giving a certain group the power to decide the meaning of what you thought, said, displayed on a specific day and what should be done to you about it. But that is what has happened and it is why we now have certain words, actions, and symbols that are completely void of meaning (The N word is absolutely meaningless now).

It's exhausting. No rationale human, regardless of "race"/gender/religion/whatever has the mental capacity to keep tabs on what is going to be ok on a certain day in a certain context.
Are you sure? Calling someone the N word while hiding anonymously behind a laptop is one thing. Why don't you test out how meaningless it is on a street in let's say Beds/Stuy, NYC?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:15 PM

14,228 posts, read 6,129,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Hell yeah, we'd promote her to Chief!!!! Allah Akbar LOL

Seems appropriate to fire her. The days of the Klan dominating the police departments in the South are over. Also, she can always contact the ACLU to see if she has a case.
I know people who are not racist who have that stupid flag. My friend keeps it hanging in his garage because his high school football team was the Rebels, and they had that flag at the games. His black teammates also keep a flag for that reason. My own father also played for the Rebels (another high school), and felt the flag was just history. I argued with him that it's a symbol of a history of hate and he should not have it.

I would imagine that in Georgia it is even more revered for all the wrong reasons. But having it doesn't automatically mean the person is racist.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM

13,365 posts, read 7,041,802 times
She has my complete sympathy. Other proud Southerners do as well. Can't even display a flag in honor of their heritage anymore.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:21 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,828,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Help me understand two things here. First, I've always viewed this flag as being in support of slavery. I don't quite get what reason anyone would have for displaying it. So help me understand that piece of it.
That's a very recent, liberal, interpretation of the flag. Do you think when the Dukes of Hazard was one of the most popular shows on TV that the Virginia Battle Flag (it was never the Confederate flag) in practically every scene was considered racist? Of course not.

Do you think this former NAACP president is racist and supporting slavery?

Former NAACP President Supports Confederate Flag: “Black folks earned a place of honor and dignity with this flag… This is our flag…” |

It was about southern heritage and pride, not slavery, long before the liberals decided it was evil because some people who don't vote left started flying it.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,428,311 times
Yes, very similar to what Ms Mosby attempted in Baltimore, who said when announcing the indictments, I heard you. No justice, no peace. It is no prosecutor's role to base an indictment on an angry mob. Unless you are a democrat prosecutor, beholden to Eric Holder and Barack Obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
It's not scary. This is justice to liberals. This is the America they want this Nation transformed into. Their America and their ideology alone.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:36 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,428,311 times
It was for the White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
A rainbow flag would be ok, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or